COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room

Old 12-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thumbs up Love the TCM, hate the double stack...

... so what ya gonna do? Read everything available, speak to knowledgable (trusted) gunners make a decision and jump in with both feet.

Let me say up front, DO NOT TOUCH YOUR GEAR unless you you are sure you want to void your warranty, risk ruining your stuff and looking at a pile of scrap.

On the other hand you may end up with the shooter you want.

I bought a TCM new in the box, put the 9mm barrel in it and tried as best I could to like it. Finally got a couple hundred rounds of TCM, tried it and still hated it so it went in the safe till my son asked if I by chance had a 9mm I would part with.

Cut to the meat... I changed out the slide for a plain RIA 9mm, put in a new 9mm barrel and traded him for a couple Franklins. I kept the TCM slide, barrel and the original 9mm barrel hoping to build a TCM 1911 and have a spare 9mm barrel for my 38 super. After failing to get the TCM to feed properly with a STI receiver purchased specifically for this, I was ready to throw in the towel when it occured to me that since I had nothing to lose, grind a bit off the feed ramp, tune the magazine a bit and put the stuff on the super frame. BINGO!!

I now have the sweetest TCM in the world and it's all (well the big parts anyway) RIA. The super slide and barrel now rest on the STI frame (after a lot of fitting) and run almost as smooth as an ED Brown fresh from the custom shop.

The drawback, I'm completely out of TCM ammunition so I'll be reloading late tonight. I cannot wait to get to the range to see the FLASH and hear the BOOM from my single stack TCM.

/Slim

Last edited by Old Draftsman; 12-06-2012 at 10:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Draftsman For This Useful Post:
NAMVET72 (12-06-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 09:25 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,478 Times in 295 Posts

Can't wait to see the pics of your Work again...............

Old 12-06-2012, 10:31 PM
Founding Member
Admimberistrator

Now that's cool stuff. Nice work!
Old 12-29-2012, 11:47 AM
COTEP Member

Wow, that is really great, I need to get my hands on another TCM barrel (Or complete slide)... the problem is that they won't sell you just the barrel so I need to find one from an individual I suppose. I would love to have one also in a single stack, nice work!
Old 12-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeystoneWeaponBK View Post
Wow, that is really great, I need to get my hands on another TCM barrel (Or complete slide)... the problem is that they won't sell you just the barrel so I need to find one from an individual I suppose. I would love to have one also in a single stack, nice work!
Thanks,
I don't quite have it tuned perfect yet. Colt magazines are not our friend.

There seems to be a shortage of quality magazines available locally so I'm at the mercy of the internet or a gun show. It looks like the Megar I bought last is going to be the ticket so as soon as the holiday obligations are completed and some of my time is reclaimed...

Happy New Year!

Be safe.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:34 PM
COTEP Member

Cool beans, Chief!

I love reading about your antics!

If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
-- Samuel Adams
COTEP CBOB0676
KO4ENQ
Old 12-29-2012, 07:23 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats View Post
Cool beans, Chief!

I love reading about your antics!

. Film at 11...
Old 12-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Sounds good OD!!!

The main reason the RIA TCM22 was made as a Wide Body was for the capacity. You just run out of ammo way too fast with a single stack!!!

I will not say for sure but I think you may see a factory single stack TCM22 in the not so distant future!!!

COTEP # CBOB0152
Old 12-29-2012, 11:10 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Hmmm. Got me thinking. I'm gonna have to call the mothership. I too would prefer to drop my barrel/slide onto a single stack frame.
COTEP #624
Old 01-01-2013, 03:26 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Yeah, the man who developed this cartridge told RIA that it was impossible to make it feed in a single stack....and they took that as the truth. A very reknown gunsmith (I will leave unnamed), called this guy and talked with him and found out the guy never even tried to make it feed in a single stack. The smith got a TCM barrel from an individual and had it running in no time flat in a single stack.

Ever since then Ive been trying to get a barrel also, but RIA just wont sell them seperate and the developer wont lisense anyone else to produce barrels. I too want the TCM, but have ZERO desire to own a single stack
COTEP #0443 USMC #0311
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." ~Robert E Lee
“The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crises maintain their neutrality.” ~Dante Alighieri

Last edited by SemperFi1977m; 01-01-2013 at 03:29 PM.