COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room > Help Me Fix My Gun

Old 05-27-2012, 11:13 AM
COTEP Member

Parts came in Friday. Kinda a shotgun fix method. Tuesday I visit my shadetree gunsmith (someone and anyone who knows more about the finer details of the inner workings of these critters). The parts were ordered from Ed Brown since, as advertised, most parts of the CBOB are Ed Brown components. The problem was identified as the disconnector not returning to it's correct position consistently after each firing cycle. So, the new parts consist of: sear, mainspring, and disconnector. Since I believe in having backup parts, just in case, I went ahead and ordered spares as in: 18# and 20# recoil springs to help tailor the pistol to my handloads, firing pin, extractor, recoil spring plug and, sorry, couldn't help myself, a stainless hammer (cuz the original hammer is blued and just didn't look right on a otherwise stainless pistol). Since I'll have the spares, I know the original parts will not fail. I view this as cheap insurance.

More to follow after Tuesday.

NRA Member
VietNam Vet. Retired Military: 1963-1967 U.S. Navy 1971-1987 MSgt, U.S. Air Force (TTK, IBBA, SACmasized, Plank Owner USSPACECOM).

CBOB 0650
Dan Wesson CBOB 08 build.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:45 AM
COTEP Member

Tuesday's shadetree gunsmithing went quite well, if you disregard the usual fun with inserting the sear and disconnector. Learned some new "descriptive verbs", but after that, all the parts practically fell into place. The test firings went quite well and after 100 rounds down range, felt that we had a tack driver that didn't malfunction anymore, (so far). I've got another 500 rounds or so of malfunction free shooting to go before I'll feel comfortable using the Commander as a carry. Did discover that the hammer strut pin had apparently been pinned by a previous owner when I tried to replace the blued hammer with a SS hammer. Another order going in for a new hammer strut and hammer strut pin (actually, I'll get the whole package of replacement pins and springs as a cheap piece of insurance). Been a pleasure dealing with Ed Brown Company on the parts. Very quick delivery, parts look and feel very skookum.

In conclusion, a very happy camper. Now, if you'll excuse me, I gotta go put in 15 minutes of dry fire practice (try to get in at least 4 of these sessions daily).

NRA Member
VietNam Vet. Retired Military: 1963-1967 U.S. Navy 1971-1987 MSgt, U.S. Air Force (TTK, IBBA, SACmasized, Plank Owner USSPACECOM).

CBOB 0650
Old 05-30-2012, 06:58 PM
Founding COTEP Member who is watching over us from above with God at a giant shooting range in heaven
COTEP Member

First of all, I would measure your Disconnector length. I suspect it'll be right around 1.296". If so keep it, it's perfectly good. Next, has any adjustment been made to the trigger-stop screw? An improperly adjusted screw( turned too far towards the front of the trigger or worse, removed) will allow the bow to push the disconnect too far and result in Hammer-Follow as it won't allow the sear to capture the Hammer-hooks. Next, when you reassembled after your 'Armorers' Cleaning', did you install the searspring correctly? If not, it will allow the Disconnector to stay up and not reset. This will cause Hammer-Follow. Here's how the Searspring should look if properly installed.

All in all, of the parts you replaced, the sear MAY be bad but, the gun would have to have 10s of thousands of rounds through it for a correctly fitted sear to fail.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:53 PM
COTEP Member

Trigger stop screw: It is correctly adjusted, however, we're replacing the trigger because it's some off-brand that is poorly fitted. There's entirely too much slop in it's travel (in all four directions, up and down and to the sides). I have 3 other 1911's which have trigger movement which is correct. The CBOB trigger movement isn't.
The reset is working correctly.

No parts are ever tossed until spec'd out. Thanks for the measurement on the disconnector.

NRA Member

CBOB 0650
Old 08-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,547 Times in 465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadOscar View Post
Just wanted to mention that you may want to check the adjustment of the over travel screw in the trigger if you have not already, it's a common cause of hammer follow.
It was the cause of my New CBOB's hammer follow. Works fine now. Some screws were not loctited at the factory. This comes from a Reputable source! Adjusted mine and Voila! It fixed it. It appeared at about 200 rounds. After adjustment, all is well in CBOB land!
Thomas Jefferson
“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-21-2013, 11:00 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Quote:
Just wanted to mention that you may want to check the adjustment of the over travel screw in the trigger if you have not already, it's a common cause of hammer follow.
That would have been my first guess.

In hoc signo vinces

If you can list them, you ain't got enough!!!

Life Member NRA, SCI, ATA, NSCA
COTEP 414
Old 11-22-2013, 05:21 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts

Holy thread resurection batman!!!
Old 11-23-2013, 11:57 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,547 Times in 465 Posts

Quote:
My CBOB had hammer follow, overtravel screw adjustment took care of it! Permanently.
Loctite is your best friend on that screw!
Thomas Jefferson
“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” Thomas Jefferson