COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Optics

Old 05-28-2015, 08:30 AM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts
Question Optics suggestions needed.

Question. ...... Say you wanted to run a fixed power scope on your rifle for 100-600yds (maybe sometime in the future out to 1k). Which magnification would you choose? 6x, 10x, 12x, or bigger.......and, why?

Purpose:
*Rem 700
*Target shooting/plinking
*Marksmanship training
Old 05-28-2015, 08:37 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I go with the 10, but my training and mission dictated it.
That's what I learned to shoot with. I also was taught to range with my scope which was conducted at 10 unless the reticle was front focal (doesn't change with power setting).
Check your pm.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:25 AM
COTEP Member

Thanks, pm replied.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:30 AM
COTEP Member

The 10X is what I'm leaning towards. Target turrets are a must. Mil or Moa adjustments will work for me.

I'm currently running a 3-9x42 on there now and when zoomed to 9x the shadow around the eyepiece (sorry, don't know the tech term for that) is distracting. I find myself concentrating on keeping the shadow even instead of focusing on my target and fundamentals. I thinl the fixed power will help me with this issue....?.....
Old 05-28-2015, 09:41 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamCaleb View Post
The 10X is what I'm leaning towards. Target turrets are a must. Mil or Moa adjustments will work for me.

I'm currently running a 3-9x42 on there now and when zoomed to 9x the shadow around the eyepiece (sorry, don't know the tech term for that) is distracting. I find myself concentrating on keeping the shadow even instead of focusing on my target and fundamentals. I thinl the fixed power will help me with this issue....?.....
Me thinks when you set up your eye relief it wasn't on the highest power. That means your scope may be too close in relation to your eye.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:48 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight View Post
Me thinks when you set up your eye relief it wasn't on the highest power. That means your scope may be too close in relation to your eye.
Good point..... I believe you are correct, I set it on 3x. Will have to look into that next range trip.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:45 AM
COTEP Member

I use a variable magnification scope on all long range precision rifles, but shoot mostly at 10 power. The higher power magnifications are almost worthless here in Florida due to mirage. I learned to shoot with a 2FP 10x fixed scope and still shoot them fine.
1st focal plane or second only matters if you are shooting unknown distance.....Most benchrest shooters use 2nd because they don't want the reticle increasing in size and covering the target. Most PRS or tactical shooters use FFP due to not having to move the magnification to rangefind.

I use Mueller scopes on my rentals for our long range precision rifle courses. Can't beat them for the price. They track great and are pretty clear.

http://muelleroptics.com/mt451440
- Samuel Adams
Old 05-28-2015, 10:53 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bttbbob View Post
I use a variable magnification scope on all long range precision rifles, but shoot mostly at 10 power. The higher power magnifications are almost worthless here in Florida due to mirage. I learned to shoot with a 2FP 10x fixed scope and still shoot them fine.
1st focal plane or second only matters if you are shooting unknown distance.....Most benchrest shooters use 2nd because they don't want the reticle increasing in size and covering the target. Most PRS or tactical shooters use FFP due to not having to move the magnification to rangefind.

I use Mueller scopes on my rentals for our long range precision rifle courses. Can't beat them for the price. They track great and are pretty clear.

http://muelleroptics.com/mt451440
Good stuff. Thanks.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:48 AM
COTEP Member

Another issue it could be would be LOP (length of pull of your stock). To check this place the stock in the crock of your elbow, your hand should be comfortable on the grip without stretching or trying to reach back to get proper trigger finger placement.
- Samuel Adams
Old 05-28-2015, 12:14 PM
COTEP Member

Thanks Bob, i was hoping to get your attention.

Thanks for the info and recommendation on that scope, it looks to be a great one. I believe the LOP is spot on but, I will double check when I get the chance.

What do you think of the SWFA 10X scopes?