COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Pulling The Trigger

Old 05-06-2016, 07:00 PM
COTEP Member

Default The problem is-------

I want to carry a few different guns, but I don't have enough rounds down the pipe with them, thus they detract from my ability with a handgun. I've got this great sig 27 gen2 sas that I want to carry, however, it's been so damned long since I've trained on the DA/SA sig, it's not an extension of my hand any more.

Was a day when I'd put 60K through a 226 and 228 in two years and they were extensions of the hand, not some handgun I was holding/gripping. It now still feels awkward in the hand after two long range sessions consisting of perhaps 3-400 rds each session. It holds me back compared to other handguns I've shot countless rounds through but have continued to carry and shoot through the years.

The 1911 milspec gov model and the g17 have seen the most rds downrange. 400k+ in the 1911's and no less than 180K through a g17. Both those guns are fully just an extension of my hand [ I'm one with the gun ]. Both are pointed instinctively without conscious thought, anywhere from 1/2 hip up through line of sight, one or two handed. I note I shoot on the move better with these two than any of the others I might be toting around.

So, here's my problem. If a certain gun isn't "owned", the operator hasn't become one with the gun with it being just a subconscious extension of your hand, my actual ability to fight and hit instinctively is hindered, slowed, forced and more importantly, is consciously felt by the hand holding it. The Sig is one fine fighting pistol, I'd enjoy carrying a sig again, but here's my real problem,

I'm not willing to expend 60K in the next couple on ammo to get back to subconscious with the sig DA/SA, thus it's relegated to home defense and I've decided I'm back to the 1911 or g17/g26. I shoot the g26 better than the 17 for some reason. I believe it's because the 26 is double sprung and the 17 isn't [ both are 3rd gens ].

At this stage in life, I'm not willing to become one with the sig again by putting in the work I know will be necessary, the problem is I want to and have to suck it up. One has to have enough behind them to know what they are capable of physically, and then decide whether carrying something that's hindering ones ability in any way is worth the reward of carrying what one wants, instead of what one runs best intuitively. Back to the old axiom I'm fond of repeating, if you don't shoot, you can't shoot

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

"The mind is the limiting factor"
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to brownie For This Useful Post:
Caleb (05-06-2016), ColMike (05-06-2016), DaFadda (05-07-2016), Gatorade (05-06-2016), skosh69 (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 08:02 PM
COTEP Member

You said it took 60k rounds in the past and only had 600 lately but don't want to expend another 60k. I get that but what if it is only another 1k and a couple good sessions.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:15 PM
COTEP Member

My current gun is DA/SA. I always have a little hiccup with a DA only or the 1911 when I switch to them because of the difference.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:27 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

60k=60,000 rounds?

COTEP #719

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
Old 05-06-2016, 08:33 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Maybe you will shoot that much anyway ?
COTEP CCO0617
Eufaula, Alabama
Isaiah 6:8-10. 8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
Old 05-06-2016, 08:42 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
You said it took 60k rounds in the past and only had 600 lately but don't want to expend another 60k. I get that but what if it is only another 1k and a couple good sessions.
Based on my estimation, at least 10K in a month or two's time to even get close to where the 60K in two years took me. Some of it would come back in transitioning from DA to SA but when it was 600 rds a week, there was a peak I hit that I don't think I could duplicate without a lot of rds downrange just to carry a gun I don't need to carry.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:42 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE2 View Post
60k=60,000 rounds?
Yes, 60,000

Old 05-06-2016, 08:44 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColMike View Post
Maybe you will shoot that much anyway ?
I'm hardly shooting at all anymore compared to back then Mike.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:50 PM
COTEP Member

I toggle between gen3 G17's and two Springfield 1911's that look like crap but the internals have been fully worked. I carry 1911's in Cond zero. I don't like any other style of semi auto pistol and am not willing to re-think what I have been comfortable with for decades.

I really like the look of HK tac pistols, I like the Beretta's in 9mm.....I like alot of pistols....I don't buy them, I buy more 1911's and I own two dozen G17's.
My only experiment will be to buy a Gen4 G17 cause I really want to see how the dual spring reduces recoil.

I am too old to want to bother to retrain to some new platform. In fact I may someday slim down my choices of carry pistol to one type only. Aging naturally creates a lack of confidence in one's self, even minor confusion. Gotta stay with what ya know.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 05-07-2016, 05:05 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie View Post
I'm hardly shooting at all anymore compared to back then Mike.
Know what you mean. The three hours a day, 5-6 days a week are gone. Course, the. Army was paying then, me now.
COTEP CCO0617
Eufaula, Alabama
Isaiah 6:8-10. 8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"