COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > COTEP University

Old 02-20-2017, 09:27 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Default 1911 magazines

This morning, someone (, aka Chimpboy, Chimp Pansy and a host of other names... which is why I originally just said "someone"... because he changes his name so often.... ) posted a Midway clearance sale on WC 47D magazines. For whatever reason, I started to do some web research on who actually makes the 47D. Rather than post on the original poster's thread, which wasn't asking my opinion, I thought it best to post on a new thread.

the WC 47D has been around for years and years. If it's on clearance at Midway, it may be that they (WC) want to sell more of their ETM mags. The 47D has a stiffer spring initially, so loading that 8th round may be a nail breaker, and the spring itself will likely need to be replaced more often than the ETM. I'm not a metalurgist, but I know how to read and Wilson Combat 47D's will experience a tensioning issue when fully loaded for extended periods (ie, the spring gets weaker over time, especially on carry mags that you don't unload every night).

This said, the 47D at $23 each is a great buy! Just know that loading will be more difficult for the last round, and you should plan on buying new spring kits from time to time.

This thread prompted me to look at all my mags this morning and do a little research on the web. Truth be told... most manufacturers do not make thier own magazines. OEM manufacturers like MecGar, Checkmate and Metalform make the bulk of magazines, and then place the customer's brand on the tube.

For example, Metalform's website says: We supply high-end, custom made magazines to major OEM brands like Colt, Smith & Wesson, Kimber, and more. And here is a bit of "truth in advertising" that I liked. Notice the writing on the side of the tube:

http://store.springfield-armory.com/...EEL-52p123.htm

I have put "no name" brands from bulk companies like Joes1911magmania next to Checkmates and literally can't tell the difference. And on a range magazine... that's a good thing. Most likely, it's because there IS no difference. They are the same mags.

I think the fact is that everyone gets the tube from one of these three manufacturers. Then... WC, Tripp, etc... accessorize with different springs, tensions and followers. Not that they are doing the manufacturing or accessorizing themselves...rather they are "specing out" their requirements to one of the big three. The cost involved in the machinery to produce your own would be prohibitive.

Are there small manufacturers of magazines? Maybe, but I doubt it. In all cases though.... The magazine you carry should be one that your gun likes. Don't put everything on "the name."

If your magazine tube is in good shape and you're experiencing feed issues, you might want to try here:

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/h...prod60399.aspx

or here...
https://www.gunsprings.com/cID1/mID1/dID1#805

I've found that my 1911's feed with these magazines exceptionally well... or as well as my Tripps and WC's... for what its worth:

http://joes1911magmania.net/shop/

Hope you find this thread helpful in some manner.

Da
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.

Last edited by DaFadda; 02-21-2017 at 09:25 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DaFadda For This Useful Post:
boatdoc (07-24-2018), Caleb (02-20-2017), NAMVET72 (02-20-2017), pitor (02-20-2017), sdmc530 (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 10:36 AM
COTEP Member

^^ !
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:42 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts

Someone?

Good right there somebody.

Last edited by skosh69; 02-20-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:35 PM
COTEP Member

Good info. But correct me if I'm wrong , I remember reading in multiple articles that with modern metallurgy and the way springs are manufactured, they do not lose their "springness" regardless of being compressed for prolonged periods of time.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:52 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,478 Times in 295 Posts

True, but it is a good idea every once in a while to unload them and use different mags IMHO,

Old 02-20-2017, 03:23 PM
COTEP Member

But why if the springs do not get damage? I'm all about shooting my SD every 4-6 months to make sure it still feeds and the gun cycles with it, but not because of my mag springs.

Now, keep in mind my experience and the articles I've mentioned deal with double stack polymer pistols. I'm new to 1911s and their mag system.

Last edited by pitor; 02-20-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:37 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitor View Post
Good info. But correct me if I'm wrong , I remember reading in multiple articles that with modern metallurgy and the way springs are manufactured, they do not lose their "springness" regardless of being compressed for prolonged periods of time.
Correct and what wears the spring faster is the constant compressing and uncompressing of the spring.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:45 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Wow... good responses... I'm feeling appreciated. I'd want you to know that I got my info from the websites of some of the manufacturers... including Wilson Combat. If you look at their comments on the "new" ETM... which is a few years old now... they point out that the old mag springs compressed... blah blah blah... as I said, I'm not a metalurgist....so I can't say for sure.

But it IS nice to know that I might be helping a fellow shooter choose wisely!
SA Micro Compact
and a spectacular cast of others!

"You have never lived, until you have almost died. And for those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the protected will never know." Guy de Maupassant, 1893.
Anonymously, penned on a sign at a command post at Khe Sanh, RVN.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:52 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight View Post
Correct and what wears the spring faster is the constant compressing and uncompressing of the spring.
That's exactly what many of these articles pointed at!
Old 02-20-2017, 04:41 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitor View Post
Not always true. Some mags, like the 8 round Checkmate with "Bullnose" follower compress the springs so much that they will wear out fairly quickly if left loaded. I have a number of these mags and all the ones I left loaded starting having feeding issues after a year or so. Pulling the springs out and comparing with springs from new mags confirmed that they were quit a bit shorter and weaker.

Some mags don't compress the springs as much, especially GI style 7 round mags. This is probably why you'll see stories of military mags that have been loaded for decades that are still good.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working class flat or laborer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell