COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Honor, Duty, Country

Old 09-13-2017, 11:02 AM
COTEP Member

Default To Salute, or not Salute

A thread is progressing in a different forum about whether or not veterans that are "out of uniform" should or should not salute for colors or National Anthem, and/or whether or not they should "remove their cover" when doing so. The consensus answer being that:

Quote:
. . . all persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Citizens of other countries present should stand at attention.
And, that Military/Veterans etc need not remove their covers when saluting.

But this raised a curious question for me. Is the "salute" exclusive to military/veterans only? Would it be bad form for a "civilian" to salute (if done properly and in good faith) if they wished to do so, as opposed to "hand over heart?" I recall, as a HS underclassman, being at one of the "commencement" ceremonies (with local LE present to watch over things) and seeing one of the LEOs salute at the National Anthem as opposed to hand over heart. Now, it's possible that he was a veteran, but I don't know. Furthermore, it's curious that the President (and CIC) does hand over heart, as do former military that are currently in Govt. office. Strange, because the President returns salutes to those military that salute him. And, I must say that President Trump salutes well, considering that he graduated from the NY Military Academy.

As for "cover" on or off, is not the location a factor as well? That is, cover "outdoors" uncover "indoors?" Some of my initial EMT training was at the Bergen County Police & Fire Academy in Mahwah, NJ and I recall there being signs near the outer entrance to the building. As you entered, is says "Uncover..." with a drawing of a man without his cover on. One the way out, the opposite sign "Cover" with the converse drawing (man with cover on).

Thoughts?
The Following User Says Thank You to FfNJGTFO For This Useful Post:
Gatorade (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 02:11 PM
COTEP Member

I always looked at a salute as a military exchange. The last salute I was taught was Boy Scouts. I would look at it as appropriate in most uniforms, Military, LEO, Fire Rescue, Scouts that sort of thing. Retired or non active military have carte blanch in my book, they earned the right to decide for themselves. All the rest of us I would say hand over heart or if given a salute by one of the above groups then appropriate to acknowledge that sign of respect and salute back.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:40 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
I always looked at a salute as a military exchange. The last salute I was taught was Boy Scouts. I would look at it as appropriate in most uniforms, Military, LEO, Fire Rescue, Scouts that sort of thing. Retired or non active military have carte blanch in my book, they earned the right to decide for themselves. All the rest of us I would say hand over heart or if given a salute by one of the above groups then appropriate to acknowledge that sign of respect and salute back.
agree!! on the HP veterans salute for anthems and what not in uniform non military members or non veterans place hand over heart. Its actually in our policy!
Old 09-13-2017, 08:30 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,478 Times in 295 Posts

I salute because I fought for Our Flag and Great Country,

PS Anyone who doesnt stand or put their hand over their heart needs to go to any VA hospital or grave yard and look at the young men and woman who gave them the right to make over a million dollars a yr or to live here . They need to respect US and our Country. They need to learn money cant buy you the Freedoms we have.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:48 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMVET72 View Post

PS Anyone who doesnt stand or put their hand over their heart needs to go to any VA hospital or grave yard and look at the young men and woman who gave them the right to make over a million dollars a yr or to live here . They need to respect US and our Country. They need to learn money cant buy you the Freedoms we have.
Exactly!
Old 09-13-2017, 09:51 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

New field manual states Veterans may render a hand salute while covered. Otherwise, hand over heart
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 09-14-2017, 09:37 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMVET72 View Post

That sets my thought gears to grinding...

Respect must be earned. If being paid all that money for playing a sport doesn't make you respect the country that allowed you to do it, then maybe you didn't really earn that money. If that's the case, keep your guilty shameful feelings to yourself, and seek mental health counseling.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:42 PM
COTEP Member

Old Thread but I'm a retired USCG CWO4 - I salute and hold the salute until the National Anthem ends or when the National Ensign passes by in a parade; I also return salutes to the Gate Guards (both uniformed civilian and active duty military) when they salute me. Law Enforcement, on duty, and in uniform can, do, and should give a hand salute during the National Anthem or when the flag passes by during a parade or as it is marched by.

The right hand over the heart, cover removed, it fine for others.
Guns, knives, beautiful women...life is good today!