COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Honor, Duty, Country

Old 09-15-2017, 10:01 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,477 Times in 714 Posts
Default My arrogance

Marine Arrogance

A Marine Sergeant wrote this in response to an army guy who posted a comment on a Marine Corps site that he was sick and tired of "Marine Arrogance."

The Sergeant said...

"I think that's what makes Marines special, if only in our own minds, is that elusive Quality of Esprit de Corps. It's the fact that we, as individual Marines, don't feel that we are individual Marines. When we wear our uniform, when we hear our Hymn, when we go into battle, we are going with every other Marine who ever wore the uniform.

Standing behind us are the Marines who fought during the birth of our nation. We're standing with the Marines who fought in WWI and gave birth to the legend of the "Teuful Hunden," or "Devil Dogs." We are standing with the Marines who took Iwo and Tarawa and countless other blood soaked islands throughout the Pacific.

We are standing with the "Frozen Chosin" and our beloved Chesty Puller. We are standing with the Marines who battled at Hue City and Khe Sanh and the muddy rice paddies of South East Asia. We are standing with the Marines who fought in Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom and now are fighting in Afghanistan.

Like real brothers, their blood courses through our veins, and when we go into battle, we would rather lay down our lives than be a disappointment to them. We carry on our backs their legacy, their deaths, and their honor. We carry that for the rest of our lives.

The Marine Corps uniform doesn't come off when our active duty is over. We wear it daily in our attitude and our love of Corps and country. We wear it on our tattoos and our bumper stickers. We wear it on our hearts.

It's why, no matter where we are in the world, on November 10th, every Marine celebrates the Marine Corps birthday. It's why we'll never be an army of 1. It's why we never stop being Marines. It's why, for most of us, being a Marine isn't something we were. It's something we are.

It's the most important part of who and what we are. Some say we're arrogant. We say we're proud. We have a right to be proud. We are the United States Marines, the most feared and ferocious group of warriors to walk the face of this earth.

When America's enemies formulate their battle plans, they plan on going around Marine units because they know Damn well that they can't go through them. We are what other branches wish they were.

We are the modern day Spartans. This isn't bragging. It's written in the battle history of our country. When there's a parade and the Marines march by, everyone pays a little more attention. Some say, "arrogance." We call it "pride." It's why, in a crowd of servicemen, you can always spot the Marine. Why are Marines special? I don't know. We just are.

Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis, Frater Infinitas, Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever,

-Semper Fidelis!
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Riverpigusmc For This Useful Post:
BlackKnight (09-15-2017), Caleb (09-15-2017), FfNJGTFO (09-16-2017), Rick McC. (09-21-2017), RKP (09-16-2017), sdmc530 (09-16-2017), TLE2 (09-15-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 02:14 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
Marine Arrogance

A Marine Sergeant wrote this in response to an army guy who posted a comment on a Marine Corps site that he was sick and tired of "Marine Arrogance."

The Sergeant said...

"I think that's what makes Marines special, if only in our own minds, is that elusive Quality of Esprit de Corps. It's the fact that we, as individual Marines, don't feel that we are individual Marines.
Precisely. The USMC places a primary emphasis on "the team" and "teamwork." And they say so from the moment you set foot on the "yellow footprints."

From the "Yellow Footprint" Speech -
Quote:

YOU ARE NOW ABOARD THE MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT, <insert location>, AND YOU HAVE JUST TAKEN THE FIRST STEP ON BECOMING A MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LEADING FIGHTING FORCE, THE UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS.

The Marine Corps' success depends upon teamwork. Therefore, Teamwork will be an essential part of your training here at <Insert MCRD Facility>. From now on, you will train as a team. You will eat, sleep, live, and train as a team. The word "I" is no longer a part of your vocabulary.

DO WE UNDERSTAND???
I think the Marines have learned that teamwork is a whole lot more functionally effective in battle than a group of individuals thinking separately.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:28 AM
COTEP Member

Yellow Footprint Speech

Old 09-16-2017, 07:54 AM
COTEP Member

That so called 'arrogance' is praiseworthy and justifiably so !!
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:11 AM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

I'll take a Marine's Arrogance any day of the week.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:27 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Ship captains trained to fight "over the horizon, flight lead and his wingman, "A teams", and on and on. The American soldie,rather serviceman ...all should be proud, even arrogant, cause none are their equal. Even the coast guard, the weather them boys go out in would make you pee in your trousers.
COTEP CCO0617
Eufaula, Alabama
Isaiah 6:8-10. 8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
Old 09-17-2017, 11:35 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts

It's not arrogance when you're you're the top dog.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:21 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skosh69 View Post
It's not arrogance when you're you're the top dog.
And are tough enough to keep it
Old 09-17-2017, 04:40 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Paratus View Post
And are tough enough to keep it
That too, thanks for the addition!