COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > Other Semiauto Pistols

Old 12-28-2017, 08:51 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts
Default Mauser Model 1910

My Christmas present to myself finally arrived, today.

It’s a 1915 Mauser Model 1910 semi-auto Pistol from the damn Germans! Here is a little history:

German designers from famous Mauser Werke worked on various semi-automatic pistols since about 1893. In the year of 1909 they set to develop a new, relatively simple semiautomatic pistol, chambered for 9x19mm Luger ammunition with reduced load. This weapon, known as Mauser Model 1910, was not a great success; its updated version, known as Model 1910/12, was manufactured in small numbers under contract with Brazilian navy. In the mean time, it was decided that a new design is more suitable for ammunition, less powerful than a "military" 9mm Luger, so, in the 1910, the basic design was scaled down to relatively new 6.35mm Browning ammunition (known in USA as .25ACP, first introduced in 1906 in Europe and in 1908 in USA). Known as Mauser Model 1910, this became a rather successful pocket pistol. Just before the start of World War One Mauser turned out a slightly bigger version of the same gun, chambered for another Browning-designed cartridge, the 7.65mm (also known as .32ACP). Limited numbers of these 7.65mm pistols were used by German Army during World war 1. Guns, manufactured since 1914 (both smaller 6.35mm and bigger 7.65mm) were slightly different from original design in appearance and minor details, such as design of the barrel retaining pin lock. Over the following two decades, Mauser produced several minor variations of these pistols, which differed in the markings, shape of slide serrations etc etc, but basic design remained basically unchanged. In the year of 1934, Mauser introduced a final version of this line, Model 1934. Its major change from model 1914 was the shape of the grip panels, with curved, rather than straight backstrap. Model 1934 was adopted by German armed forces as a substitute standard, and also was used by various police and security forces. Key military buyers for Mauser 1934 pistols were Kriegsmarine (Navy) and Luftwaffe (Air force).

Mauser 1910 type pistols are simple blowback operated weapons with stationary, but easily removable barrel. barrel is held to the frame by the long pin, which passes through two underbarrel lugs below the barrel (one at the front and one below the breech). For disassembly, slide of the pistol is locked back, and pin is unlocked and rotated sideways, then pulled out to the front, so the barrel can be pulled up from the frame. Slide of this pistol has a characteristic open-top appearance, with a separate ejection window on the right side. Trigger is of single action type, striker fired. pistol is fitted with manual safety, located in the cut of the left grip panel, just behind the trigger, and with automatic magazine disconnect safety. Slide hold-open device is installed in pistol, but once slide is caught open, it can be released only by insertion of a fresh magazine. Magazine release is located at the base of the pistol grip. Sights are fixed. Grip panels are usually made from wood, but also can be made of plastic on late production guns.

Showing Mike (AFJuvat) some pics he determined it was made in 1915. Here are some of his comments (hope you don’t mind me quoting you)...

“It is a pre war export. Or immediate post wwi export.”

“It is not a late post war export.”

“Has all the early markings and the german proofs.”

“The "Germany" means it was exported.”

“The germans did not put the english word for Germany on guns intended to stay in Germany.”

“Yours was exported to an english speaking country either before WWI or immediately after WWI.”

“Waffenfabrik Mauser
Weapons factory Mauser”

“Oberndorf An Nekar
City of Oberndorf on the Nekar River.”

“A-G: Atkingeschellschaft
(Incorporated)”

“The sideways crown and U is an imperial german proof mark.”

“The Stuhl proof house proofed yours.”

“1915”

This dude is amazing with the knowledge he has for military surplus firearms. Thanks for all your help , Mike. Much appreciate it.

Check out the pics as I disassemble it for a good cleaning and oiling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BlackKnight (12-28-2017), Gatorade (12-28-2017), Riverpigusmc (12-29-2017), RKP (12-28-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 08:53 PM
COTEP Member

Old 12-28-2017, 08:55 PM
COTEP Member

Old 12-28-2017, 08:56 PM
COTEP Member

Old 12-28-2017, 09:16 PM
COTEP Member

Here it is next to my Shield for size comparison

Old 12-28-2017, 09:46 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

Very cool. That trigger looks really heavy. Any idea what the pull is? Looks fun as heck
Old 12-28-2017, 10:52 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
Very cool. That trigger looks really heavy. Any idea what the pull is? Looks fun as heck

It’s not, maybe 5#s. I’ll check it with my gauge...BRB

Old 12-28-2017, 10:56 PM
COTEP Member

Well slap my ass and call me Ell.

Just checked it with my trigger gauge. Average of three pulls is 3.75lbs!

Old 12-29-2017, 08:50 AM
COTEP Member

My Pleasure! Enjoy it.

The "63215" on the frame is the caliber and year proofing - Caliber is the first three digits, the last two digits are the year it was made. It isn't a "double serial number" as some have claimed on Gun Broker.

Since the war started in 1914, and this pistol was made in 1915, it was likely exported as part of a reparations package in mid-1919. Weapons, manufactured goods, and even intellectual property were used to make reparations payments.

To speak without thinking is to shoot without aiming.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:56 AM
COTEP Member

Very nice 'From: Me - To: Me' Christmas present!
COTEP #762

A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti.