Old 09-02-2020, 12:26 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,547 Times in 465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats View Post
Hey Jim!

Good to be back!

So far the laws haven't affected me down in the southern/rural part of Virginia.

I'm worried about them passing a magazine law that would basically make all semi auto pistols illegal. The way the law is phrased, any firearm which can accept a magazine containing more than 10 rounds... essentially means any weapon with a magazine. It failed last time. If it passes, it might make 1911's illegal. The only things I'll have that are legal then will be my Remington 870 and my Remington 700. Sad.

Then there's the assault weapon ban that failed last time, but who knows next time.

Then there's the 30 day wait between purchases, but that doesn't apply to CCW holders.

Wife just retired from USN with 30 years of service and if they really pass those laws, we're thinking about moving to Idaho. At least there's no rioting there, and folks pretty much leave you alone.

What are you wanting to shoot with your SiL? I don't see why you'd have a problem with Virginia at this point. I'd stay out of northern VA though

-
Fellow Virginian, that "Waiting Period" you mention,( 30 Days) only applies to Handguns. Not Long Guns. And, correctly, if You have a Virginia CHP, You can purchase all the Handguns you want to. We've had this Law Before, It Sucks, it's Stupid, and will Not Save Any Lives. We need to Elect Amanda Chase for Governor Next year, and we MUST change the Senate & House to Republican Control!
Thomas Jefferson
“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-02-2020, 12:28 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,547 Times in 465 Posts

Quote:
Hey Jim!

Good to be back!

So far the laws haven't affected me down in the southern/rural part of Virginia.

I'm worried about them passing a magazine law that would basically make all semi auto pistols illegal. The way the law is phrased, any firearm which can accept a magazine containing more than 10 rounds... essentially means any weapon with a magazine. It failed last time. If it passes, it might make 1911's illegal. The only things I'll have that are legal then will be my Remington 870 and my Remington 700. Sad.

Then there's the assault weapon ban that failed last time, but who knows next time.

Then there's the 30 day wait between purchases, but that doesn't apply to CCW holders.

Wife just retired from USN with 30 years of service and if they really pass those laws, we're thinking about moving to Idaho. At least there's no rioting there, and folks pretty much leave you alone.

What are you wanting to shoot with your SiL? I don't see why you'd have a problem with Virginia at this point. I'd stay out of northern VA though

-
Fellow Virginian, that "Waiting Period" you mention,( 30 Days) only applies to Handguns. Not Long Guns. And, correctly, if You have a Virginia CHP, You can purchase all the Handguns you want to. We've had this Law Before, It Sucks, it's Stupid, and will Not Save Any Lives. We need to Elect Amanda Chase for Governor Next year, and WE MUST change the Senate & House to Republican Control!
Thomas Jefferson
“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-02-2020, 09:20 AM
COTEP Member

I so agree with you. I'm hoping that all the nonsense over the last year or so has woken Virginia up, but I'm not optimistic. There are too many liberals in NoVA, Richmond, and Charlottesville.

Believe me, I don't want to leave VA. I love it here and the extended family is here. Down here in SEVA, you see Trump signs on the lawns. Maybe we can win it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw1911 View Post

Fellow Virginian, that "Waiting Period" you mention,( 30 Days) only applies to Handguns. Not Long Guns. And, correctly, if You have a Virginia CHP, You can purchase all the Handguns you want to. We've had this Law Before, It Sucks, it's Stupid, and will Not Save Any Lives. We need to Elect Amanda Chase for Governor Next year, and we MUST change the Senate & House to Republican Control!
If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
-- Samuel Adams
COTEP CBOB0676
KO4ENQ
Old 09-02-2020, 04:30 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,229 Times in 288 Posts

welcome back!
Old 09-02-2020, 06:57 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar grips. View Post
welcome back!
Well, well..how the hell are YOU?
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 09-04-2020, 11:40 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Welcome back!

In hoc signo vinces

If you can list them, you ain't got enough!!!

Life Member NRA, SCI, ATA, NSCA
COTEP 414
Old 09-05-2020, 08:21 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,229 Times in 288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
Well, well..how the hell are YOU?
hey Mike! I'm doing good. how are you and Jake?
Old 09-06-2020, 12:00 PM
COTEP Member

Default So good!

To see so many of my old friends here. Some are gone I see, but many of you are still around.

If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
-- Samuel Adams
COTEP CBOB0676
KO4ENQ
Old 09-06-2020, 09:10 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar grips. View Post
hey Mike! I'm doing good. how are you and Jake?
Doin good brother
S&W J-Frame .38
ect

COTEP #523
Old 09-06-2020, 09:11 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Quote:
To see so many of my old friends here. Some are gone I see, but many of you are still around.

we lost Dave Waits and Mike Lutz. Two damn good men
S&W J-Frame .38
ect

COTEP #523