COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > The Dremel Room > Help Me Fix My Gun

Old 05-18-2012, 12:10 AM
COTEP Member

Exclamation My CBOB is not playing nice

Purchased a DW CBOB earlier this week from a private party who'd bought it as part of a collection. Shell Casing Collected: 06/05/08.

For myself, this is my 4th 1911, the other 3 are 2 STI's (45 and 9MM) and a Para Ord SSP (45).

Have had two range days with over 240 rounds and have experienced a problem with hammer follow. Visual examination did not reveal any glaring parts wear. Did a thorough cleaning of the disconnector area as it was sticking down, but would move with a touch of the trigger. Movement was restored so I went out for the 2nd range day to continue testing.

Problem reoccurred today after about 60 rounds.

We're going to replace the disconnector/sear/mainspring.

A contributing problem is that this particular gun has passed thru 2 hands, that we know of, so much of the history is lost or just "not sure". When this CBOB is funtioning correctly (as it was immediately after the cleaning) it is a tack driver. So, this minor hiccup won't stop me from having another fine pistol.

Anyone got a recommendation for a good source for parts? Someone at the range today mentioned EGW. I have a good friend who's been helping me along with the problem resolution who'll also "teach" me how to be "more smarter" about 1911's and suggested I ask here for sources for the correct parts.

NRA Member
VietNam Vet. Retired Military: 1963-1967 U.S. Navy 1971-1987 MSgt, U.S. Air Force (TTK, IBBA, SACmasized, Plank Owner USSPACECOM).

CBOB 0650
Dan Wesson CBOB 08 build.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:23 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,478 Times in 295 Posts

EGW or many other Good sources of Quality Parts, buy them Brownelles if you decide on them........

Old 05-18-2012, 07:55 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

You might look at Cylinder and Slide parts I hear nothing but good things about them.

We have a great life here in [Texas], and we're never going back to America again – Homer Simpson
Texans and Guns The All Mighty JMB
Old 05-18-2012, 11:24 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

EGW, Cylinder and Slide, Wilson, Ed Brown... There are lots of good 1911 parts out there. I can't look at Brownell's site right now (site is blocked at my job), but if I recall correctly (and that's a big "if"), I think they sell some entire ignition parts packages from some of the better manufacturers in the biz. Try to get good tool steel parts so they can be stoned a little if you decide to get a trigger job done later.

Jason
Old 05-18-2012, 01:01 PM
COTEP Member

Since the CBOB uses many Ed Brown components, it would be logical to purchase their products for replacement. A good idea to get some other items (firing pin, recoil spring, etc) in the same shipment as you never know and I'd rather have the backups sitting in a drawer then in someone's storehouse.

Thanks for the advice. I noticed that price difference between Ed Brown and Brownell's for the same product is just pennies different. Go with the man.

NRA Member
VietNam Vet. Retired Military: 1963-1967 U.S. Navy 1971-1987 MSgt, U.S. Air Force (TTK, IBBA, SACmasized, Plank Owner USSPACECOM).

CBOB 0650
Old 05-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Founding COTEP Member who is watching over us from above with God at a giant shooting range in heaven
COTEP Member

I would suggest the Cylinder&Slide MARSOC kit. Gives a nice,crisp 4lb. pull drop-in. Very high quality parts.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:40 PM
COTEP Member

I knew I should have come here first before going to Ed Brown. Ah well, even found a stainless hammer I didn't have on the CBOB. Time of my order was 04:12, your post 04:18.

NRA Member

CBOB 0650
Old 05-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Founding Member
Admimberistrator

Just wanted to mention that you may want to check the adjustment of the over travel screw in the trigger if you have not already, it's a common cause of hammer follow.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Nowlin kits from Brownell's are nice.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:05 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadOscar View Post
Just wanted to mention that you may want to check the adjustment of the over travel screw in the trigger if you have not already, it's a common cause of hammer follow.
Thanks, we did. Wasn't part of the problem, apparently, but we'll definitely make certain it's correct when we reassemble the hammer system. Fortunately, I have backup in a Para Ord SSP .45acp government model that I shot today in Centerfire Falling Plates. That puppy is also a tack driver, just wish I was as good as it is. Still, held my own, did well and got lots of bullets down range and that's what it's all about, right? Looking forward to bringing the CBOB on-line for some more centerfire falling plates.

NRA Member

CBOB 0650