COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > Honor, Duty, Country

Old 08-09-2011, 03:01 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Its true what they say, "Once a Marine, always a Marine". I carry with me the memories of Marines before me....and I believe its what makes Marines carry themselves as the do today in the present. Belleau Wood, Iwo Jima, Khe Sahn, Hue City, The Chosin Reservoir, the Arizona Territory, the DMZ, Hill 488, Guadacanal, Midway, Fallujah......the men before us who faced unsurmountable odds and percevered. Hitting the beaches of Iwo no matter how much fear was racking their guts....or how much incoming on an open beach. Charging through Hue, on the offensive...greatly outnumbered....doing the impossible(a successful offensive outnumbered in an urban environment) Holding Khe Sahn... besieged for months, surrounded, under constant barrage. Fighting their way out of the Chosin...a division written off as lost, outnumbered by hordes of Chinese...the wounded fighting prone from jeeps. Taking trenches from well-armed, machinegun-wielding Krauts at Bellau Wood....with nothing more than bolt action rifles, bayonets, and shovels.
These are the men who came before us....men we could only wish to honor by our own service. They are what makes a current Marine so proud....makes him carry himself with such pride. As long as there is a United States Marine Corps....there will be this great, free, blessed nation. Semper Fidelis, and God Bless
COTEP #0443 USMC #0311
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." ~Robert E Lee
“The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crises maintain their neutrality.” ~Dante Alighieri

Last edited by SemperFi1977m; 08-09-2011 at 03:48 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi1977m View Post
In 1995 went to enlist with the Corps as a scout/sniper....let my parents talk me out of it. They talked me into seeing a Navy recruiter...I passed the nuke-test...but it wasnt for me. Sullivans are fight'n men; we were raised in the woods and with a rifle in our hands. I would be a Marine, or I would be nothing.

After 9/11 went to enlist again....let my then-wife talk me out of it. I made a deal with her: as long as they didn't need men, I would not answer my nation's call....if they did, I was bound by duty to answer it.

2004: USMC enlistments did not meet quotas.....so I enlisted as scout/sniper. I had to put a year in the grunts to get into the program.

August 2005: medical discharge for major complications from fallen arches :-(. Never got to be a scout/sniper.....but 0311 is the pride of the Corps!

I miss it everyday.

My parents didnt speak to me for almost a year, it put my college education on hold. Jody paid the Mrs a visit, and it cost me my marriage and the health of my feet......but I'd do it all over again if they let me! I love this country and the Corps. Semper Fidelis is a creedo I live my entire life by and I dont regret a thing I did. I think every man worth his salt deep-inside wonders if he could "pack-the-gear" if the S*** hit the fan....I know I wonder it myself. I'll never know....but I hope I wouldve served with distinction and honor if I was put to the test.

I don't share these thoughts with just anyone and I'm not a whiny candya**.....but here I'm amongst friends :-), and feel comfortable with sharing.

Semper Fidelis, God Bless, and thank you to all of you who have put it all on the line for this blessed nation.
I ironic you mentioned this. When I first enlisted my father pretty much disowned me. Told me to never return. It was fear talking as he came from a culture that hated and feared their military and police. He has since learned and accepted that ours are different.

Professionals talk about tactics and concepts while amateurs talk about gear and equipment.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi1977m View Post
In 1995 went to enlist with the Corps as a scout/sniper....let my parents talk me out of it. They talked me into seeing a Navy recruiter...I passed the nuke-test...but it wasnt for me. Sullivans are fight'n men; we were raised in the woods and with a rifle in our hands. I would be a Marine, or I would be nothing.

After 9/11 went to enlist again....let my then-wife talk me out of it. I made a deal with her: as long as they didn't need men, I would not answer my nation's call....if they did, I was bound by duty to answer it.

2004: USMC enlistments did not meet quotas.....so I enlisted as scout/sniper. I had to put a year in the grunts to get into the program.

August 2005: medical discharge for major complications from fallen arches :-(. Never got to be a scout/sniper.....but 0311 is the pride of the Corps!

I miss it everyday.

My parents didnt speak to me for almost a year, it put my college education on hold. Jody paid the Mrs a visit, and it cost me my marriage and the health of my feet......but I'd do it all over again if they let me! I love this country and the Corps. Semper Fidelis is a creedo I live my entire life by and I dont regret a thing I did. I think every man worth his salt deep-inside wonders if he could "pack-the-gear" if the S*** hit the fan....I know I wonder it myself. I'll never know....but I hope I wouldve served with distinction and honor if I was put to the test.

I don't share these thoughts with just anyone and I'm not a whiny candya**.....but here I'm amongst friends :-), and feel comfortable with sharing.

Semper Fidelis, God Bless, and thank you to all of you who have put it all on the line for this blessed nation.
Semper Fi. Ya didnt miss any glory by not going to Quantico. Went through the battalion level school, hence the "Pig" and not "Hog". Mostly hard work and travel and doing stuff ya didnt really want to do in the first place At least you would have gotten the secondary MOS, though
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 08-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I originally joined the NAVY in the fall of 1962 to be an Electronics Technician (Nuclear) in the Polaris sub program. That lasted until the second week of boot camp at Great Lakes. They sent me to Engineman school instead. Well, at least they both start with an E.

After school I was stationed aboard the ammo ship USS Mauna Loa AE-8 from June '63 to June '66, three years of ear drum pounding time in the diesel engine room. They sent me to AC/R school and I never worked in that field after graduation.

In July '66 they sent me to the Naval Support Activity, DaNang, RSVN. I was aboard the LCU-1484 hauling stuff to Dong Ha, Hue, Phu Bai, and Chu Lai.

Somewhere in there I spent about 3-4 months at the Ship Repair Facility in Subic Bay, P.I.

I got out in July '67 as a third class petty officer with not enough time left in service to get my E-5 rank.

My son was a NAVY Corpsman who served with the USMC in Desert Storm. He wore MARINE green more than NAVY blues.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here and hope to share knowledge.

Last edited by Neil Casper; 08-10-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:48 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Casper View Post
I originally joined the NAVY in the fall of 1962 to be an Electronics Technician (Nuclear) in the Polaris sub program. That lasted until the second week of boot camp at Great Lakes. They sent me to Engineman school instead. Well, at least they both start with an E.

After school I was stationed aboard the ammo ship USS Mauna Loa AE-8 from June '63 to June '66, three years of ear drum pounding time in the diesel engine room. They sent me to AC/R school and I never worked in that field after graduation.

In July '66 they sent me to the Naval Support Activity, DaNang, RSVN. I was aboard the LCU-1484 hauling stuff to Dong Ha, Hue, Phu Bai, and Chu Lai.

Somewhere in there I spent about 3-4 months at the Ship Repair Facility in Subic Bay, P.I.

I got out in July '67 as a third class petty officer with not enough time left in service to get my E-5 rate.

My son was a NAVY Corpsman who served with the USMC in Desert Storm. He wore MARINE green more than NAVY blues.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here and hope to share knowledge.
Neil welcome and thank you for your service!

The Present is the instant flash of reality in which the ever approaching Future becomes the Past..................

The Constitution is my Caesar
Old 11-05-2011, 04:12 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I was in the Navy.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

U.s.a.f. , 1962 - 1966
COTEP #447

Last edited by NAMVET72; 07-02-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:55 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Parris Island then Lejune for ITR. Memphis for school, made high Marine in my class, and got to choose my billet....2yrs in Hawaii. Shipped out on the USS Breckinridge for Hawaii. Docked in Pearl and caught duty section aboard the ship. Spent 26 hrs in Hawaii out of a 2yr assignment and never left the ship! My assigned outfit got shipped out to Okinawa. Went to Oki then on to Japan and from there two tours in Nam (Chu Lai and Ky Ha). Flew the door in UH-34D's. Was not a Marine sniper, but was a police sniper.
Kentucky Colonel
Retired Motor Officer

Last edited by Snipersnest; 11-18-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

US Navy, Nuclear Machinist Mate E-6/SS, Jan 1987 - Dec 1994
Boot Camp, "A" School, Nuclear Power School in Orlando Florida
Prototype training in Idaho Falls, ID
San Diego about the USS Gurnard / SSN-662 for 3 years
Back to Idaho Falls as an Instructor to finish out.

Thanks you everyone for your service. It is truly appreciated. Ed
Old 01-22-2012, 12:12 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Army 75 - 78

Ft Benning 2/10 FA

Unit Armorer & Supply

Got out as an E-4 they offered me E-5 to re up but it was time to go.

Last edited by yankee2500; 01-22-2012 at 12:16 PM.