COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Main Category > COTEP University

Old 04-18-2014, 01:32 PM
COTEP Member

Default Differences in Leather

I've been trying to listen to my doctor and wife and lose a little weight. So far it's been going well, but nothing major to brag about.

The issue is that I'm at the point where my belts are too big and will need new belts soon. I've looked at a few leather belt websites, the most recent was the A&G Leather.

The question I have is what is the difference between the bull hide leather and the horse hide leather? Other than price. Does the horse hide last longer? Is it more comfortable? Better looking?

I'll probably be buying one in the next few weeks, and I couldn't find a reasonable explanation other than preference.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:45 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 254 Posts

I dont have an answer for your question but, you will not be disappointed with A&G. Also, the Rigid Holster belts are also great. I have both and they are of equal quality and comfort.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:02 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamCaleb View Post
I dont have an answer for your question but, you will not be disappointed with A&G. Also, the Rigid Holster belts are also great. I have both and they are of equal quality and comfort.
Wizzy at Rigid just announced that he wasn't doing belts anymore (for now?). He said he can build six holsters for two belts, and he is focusing on the holsters. A&G is on the hit list for me.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:38 PM
COTEP Member

I know if you buy an IWB holster horsehide is said to be better for sweat. I have an Mtac in horsehide, about four years now, it is like brand new. And it only gets used during hot months when I need to conceal full size without a fishing shirt like in Winter.

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 04-18-2014, 02:44 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,607 Times in 418 Posts

Look here for some help:

http://www.thebeltman.net/
Old 04-18-2014, 02:55 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,478 Times in 715 Posts

I have 4 of Al's belts, one being in horsehide. Horsehide is somewhat stiffer than bullhide, and also handles sweat and moisture better. Get the 7 hole option, easier when you convert from owb to iwb
S&W J-Frame .38
ect
" I don't own the clothes I'm wearin', and the road goes on forever "

There's a gator in the bushes, and it's calling my name...
COTEP #523
Old 04-18-2014, 03:00 PM
COTEP Member

Thanked 1,607 Times in 418 Posts

One other possible difference of note. Bullhide may well have a lot of scarring and/or texture due to the age of the animals. Adds to the look of the leather...
Old 04-18-2014, 03:22 PM
COTEP Member

Thanks for the feedback. I was planning on the 7-hole and will probably get it from A&G with all the recommendations.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:50 PM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpigusmc View Post
I have 4 of Al's belts, one being in horsehide. Horsehide is somewhat stiffer than bullhide, and also handles sweat and moisture better. Get the 7 hole option, easier when you convert from owb to iwb
Wish you would let me in on that secret before I was married....

"The most basic right that we have emanates from our Creator and it is that unalienable right to life. We stand firmly on the principle that from conception until the last breath is drawn, life is sacred.”

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!
Old 04-18-2014, 06:04 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

I believe that due to the testosterone, bull hide is stronger. I've never used it, so couldn't say. I know it's more expensive. Horse hide is naturally sweat (moisture) resistant, so makes a great lining. But that resistance also makes it tough to stain or add color to. I've never worked with it - my distributor doesn't carry it and I can't bear the thoughts of using a dead horse...

Lane

Dungeon Master - LASCO Leather, Home of the COTEP Deacon
COTEP #268