COTEP.org  

Go Back   COTEP.org > Firearms > 1911 Style Pistols > Wilson

Old 10-31-2015, 06:35 PM
COTEP Member

Default Inbound .38 Super CQB. My 1st Wilson

I bought my first 1911 in 1990. It was a SS Colt Series 80 Government.
It was a terribly sloppy, inaccurate and unreliable gun. However I loved the guns design in spite of the series 80 FPS. I've since owned many other brands both good and bad with the exception of most of the top tier of the Semi Custom pistols. My first Semi Custom was a Les Baer PII, and it was far and away more gun than anything I had owned previously, I became an instant fan. It was an unbelievably accurate and reliable shooting machine.
Since then I have focused on LB's and lately I've been exploring the great value represented by the production guns offered by Dan Wesson. Also very accurate and reliable pistols. In fact in some areas I find that I like them at least as well as my 4 Les Baers.

I have, up until two days ago just lusted after the offerings by Ed Brown,
NightHawk and Wilson Combat due in part to the investment requirements of these pistols. I just could not see the increase in performance matching the increase in investment.
That being said, I could clearly see the refinement differences in the three brands listed above compared to LB and DW.

As a reloader for 30 years I was committed to the .45acp due to the ease of reloading and my love for the 1911, and so I avoided other caliber offerings.
That being said, of the Dan Wessons I bought, three pistols were in .45acp, and the remaining three included one in each in 9mm, 38 super and 10mm.

So two things happened. First my reloading hobby has become fun once again, and my range sessions have increased both in time spent at the range as well as the increased frequency. I have fallen in love with both the 10mm as well as the 38super cartridges.

I had a 38super Bar-Sto barrel fitted to my DW SS 9mm VBob, and then purchased a .38s LW DW Guardian. Then I started Looking for a 5" Similar Custom in 38 super.

I have been looking at An Ed Brown Executive target when I came across a
SS CQB in 38 super on another forum which just leaped out at me.
Bottom line is I put down a substantial deposit on it and now I have to choose something to sell to get it out of jail.

I guess moving up the 1911 ladder was inevitable. I guess it's a case of ... Better late than never!
I just hope my pocket book can survive!
COTEP VBOB #781

Last edited by Dwe; 10-31-2015 at 06:38 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dwe For This Useful Post:
ColMike (11-01-2015), sdmc530 (11-01-2015), Wilsoncrafter (10-31-2015)
Old 10-31-2015, 06:56 PM
COTEP Member

Eyah, that is how it happens. The real trap is not the first, but the fact they are so nice you cannot sell them and the next thing you know you are walking the highways and byways picking up returnable bottles to pay for the fifth, sixth or seventh.... My wife thinks I am a fitness fanatic. Little does she know. Good on you Dwe, You are not at the end... not even close, sir.
NRA Life Member

I stand for the flag, I kneel for the fallen!

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Last edited by pony up; 10-31-2015 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:06 PM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,211 Posts

Congrats, can't wait to see pics of it.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:26 PM
COTEP Member

The will another and another and .....

Good judgment comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgment.

If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:15 PM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwe View Post
I bought my first 1911 in 1990. It was a SS Colt Series 80 Government.
It was a terribly sloppy, inaccurate and unreliable gun. However I loved the guns design in spite of the series 80 FPS. I've since owned many other brands both good and bad with the exception of most of the top tier of the Semi Custom pistols. My first Semi Custom was a Les Baer PII, and it was far and away more gun than anything I had owned previously, I became an instant fan. It was an unbelievably accurate and reliable shooting machine.
Since then I have focused on LB's and lately I've been exploring the great value represented by the production guns offered by Dan Wesson. Also very accurate and reliable pistols. In fact in some areas I find that I like them at least as well as my 4 Les Baers.

I have, up until two days ago just lusted after the offerings by Ed Brown,
NightHawk and Wilson Combat due in part to the investment requirements of these pistols. I just could not see the increase in performance matching the increase in investment.
That being said, I could clearly see the refinement differences in the three brands listed above compared to LB and DW.

As a reloader for 30 years I was committed to the .45acp due to the ease of reloading and my love for the 1911, and so I avoided other caliber offerings.
That being said, of the Dan Wessons I bought, three pistols were in .45acp, and the remaining three included one in each in 9mm, 38 super and 10mm.

So two things happened. First my reloading hobby has become fun once again, and my range sessions have increased both in time spent at the range as well as the increased frequency. I have fallen in love with both the 10mm as well as the 38super cartridges.

I had a 38super Bar-Sto barrel fitted to my DW SS 9mm VBob, and then purchased a .38s LW DW Guardian. Then I started Looking for a 5" Similar Custom in 38 super.

I have been looking at An Ed Brown Executive target when I came across a
SS CQB in 38 super on another forum which just leaped out at me.
Bottom line is I put down a substantial deposit on it and now I have to choose something to sell to get it out of jail.

I guess moving up the 1911 ladder was inevitable. I guess it's a case of ... Better late than never!
I just hope my pocket book can survive!
There is no known cure! Congratulations!

In hoc signo vinces

If you can list them, you ain't got enough!!!

Life Member NRA, SCI, ATA, NSCA
COTEP 414
Old 10-31-2015, 11:16 PM
COTEP Member

Congrats on your first Wilson! You are going to be a happy camper I'm sure of that. I was also eying that gun..
Old 11-01-2015, 05:01 AM
Founding Member
Super Moderator

People swear by them. I have several 38 siper weapons:
Rock fill,size, colt lt cmdr, mhc lady hawk, and a built from scratch noname . I never carry the nhc, i would hate to lose it to the evidence system. The colt and rocks are great shooters. Cant wait to get the nonsme.

Good luck with the new toy. Let us know how it runs.
COTEP CCO0617
Eufaula, Alabama
Isaiah 6:8-10. 8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
Old 11-01-2015, 08:49 AM
Founding Member
COTEP Member

Thanked 2,787 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skosh69 View Post
YES!!!!!! This^
Old 11-01-2015, 11:27 AM
COTEP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skosh69 View Post

I still owe over 1k to get it shipped, so either I wait or I put up something to sell.
I will most likely put up my very lightly used
DW Duty treat Valor up for sale to free up the CQB.

I usually don't post pics until I have the gun in hand, however Tractus Arms sent me some teaser pic to help seal the deal.

COTEP VBOB #781
Old 11-01-2015, 01:05 PM
COTEP Member

Lovely. Thanks. You are in for a real treat when you open the bag and find out how much better it is than the pictures show. Range report.... you will be amazed at the range as well. You have inspired me to finally get off my butt and show off my new WC SS 38Super Professional. It has a LOGO the will appreciate.
NRA Life Member

I stand for the flag, I kneel for the fallen!

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.