PDA

View Full Version : Colt 1911 conundrum

flphotog
01-16-2015, 11:33 AM
I'm looking at getting a Colt commander this year, mostly because I want another commander for carry and I don't yet have a colt.
My early preference is the XSE series but I'm only seeing the commander in brushed stainless which isn't on my personal hit list.
So I looked at the 1991 series, there is a blued one there but I don't care for the sights but that at least can be fixed.
Does anyone have any input on other differences between the XSE series and the 1991 series?

GD2A
01-16-2015, 12:59 PM
XSE has a lot of upgraded features over the 1991. Not all are considered desirable by many. If the finish is a deal breaker then that's that. If it isn't and you want things like Novak sights, beavertail GS, three hole trigger, front cocking serrations and I believe an ambi safety (check the Colt website to verify) then it's a nice package for the money. I have a new Combat Elite which is, essentially, a two-tone XSE and it's a full feature gun.

That said, in the Commander, I'd probably get a 1991, upgrade the sights and enjoy the classic lines of that gun. Even though they really rubbed me the wrong way and I won't be doing business with them any further, PSA had 1991 Commanders for $599 last month - that's a great price!

ETA:

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pistols/XSE™Series.aspx

flphotog
01-16-2015, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the info. No, the finish really isn't a deal breaker and the XSE does have a lot that I do like. I'll keep them both on the list for now and see where I wind up.

Thanks for the quick response.