PDA

View Full Version : My South Carolina Steak Dinner

milkmanjoe
03-24-2015, 11:37 AM
Just got back from SC.....this is how I cook up there.....

I started with a near 3 pound london broil that I seasoned and wrapped tight in saran for two days
http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=958

Then I added Applewood chips to the smoker and fired it up. I use charcoal to start the heat, then add Oak. I NEVER use charcoal with lighter fluid.

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=962

I added the london broil and let it smoke for four hours, then added red potatoes and chicken breasts that smoked for two hours, then added lobster cakes that smoked for one hour.
http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=963

Then all was ready to feast on. Nothing was left. Check out the smoke ring on the steak.....which was so tender no knife was needed.
http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=965

Big gary
03-24-2015, 12:22 PM
Where are all the flys?
How the crap does someone smoke meat for 7 hours and no flys show up?
Needs some pepper on the spuds, and the chicken is missing also.
Beef looks awesome.

Riverpigusmc
03-24-2015, 12:26 PM
yummy

brownie
03-24-2015, 12:33 PM
That got me salivating-- looking good Joe

sdmc530
03-24-2015, 12:36 PM
mmmmmmmmmmm grilling season is just getting started up here in the north....can't wait go really get into it again....sooo good, nice job!!!

RKP
03-24-2015, 12:44 PM
Dang that looks good !! :)

milkmanjoe
03-24-2015, 12:48 PM
Where are all the flys?
How the crap does someone smoke meat for 7 hours and no flys show up?
Needs some pepper on the spuds, and the chicken is missing also.
Beef looks awesome.

Aint no flies up in SC...State Bird is the mosquito...BIG mosquito..:D

Spuds have seasoning....chicken is there, wrapped in foil.

Here's a pic with everything on at once....

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=966

skosh69
03-24-2015, 01:48 PM
mmmmmmmmmmm grilling season is just getting started up here in the north....can't wait go really get into it again....sooo good, nice job!!!

What??? Grilling season is ALL YEAR LONG. Don't be a puss, get out there and grill!!!!

NAMVET72
03-24-2015, 03:33 PM
Joe I thought you said your Dr. put you on a Diet of bread and water???????????????:eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

Clyde

milkmanjoe
03-24-2015, 03:46 PM
Joe I thought you said your Dr. put you on a Diet of bread and water???????????????:eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

Clyde

Hehehehe...he did, I escaped......(gotta see the cardio guy tomorrow, after a week of beer and grillin' I doubt he'll be impressed with my weight)

sdmc530
03-24-2015, 04:29 PM
I used to grill all winter but too lazy to shovel out the grill so it only works when there is no snow around the grill.

Riverpigusmc
03-25-2015, 09:10 PM
broke down and bought a brisket today. Smoker comes out of the shed tomorrow

jmlutz
03-25-2015, 09:20 PM
I'm thinking very seriously about buying a couple of ribeyes tomorrow.

Caleb
03-25-2015, 10:50 PM
That looks great, Joe!

milkmanjoe
03-26-2015, 08:51 AM
broke down and bought a brisket today. Smoker comes out of the shed tomorrow

These are the treats that work for us. Smoking a favorite slab, better than chocolate. Add some liquor, some taters....the world is a good place again.

Hey, the doc told me to lose five pounds! Just five pounds. Sheeet, I can do that by Sunday.

Riverpigusmc
03-26-2015, 10:49 PM
the brisket was perfect...smoked for 5 hours with pecan, pockets cut in fat and fresh garlic inserted to melt throught fat. Southern potato salad, macaroni salad and coleslaw. That woman got pissed, she thought we were having chili.

Lonestar grips.
03-26-2015, 11:26 PM
the brisket was perfect...smoked for 5 hours with pecan, pockets cut in fat and fresh garlic inserted to melt throught fat. Southern potato salad, macaroni salad and coleslaw. That woman got pissed, she thought we were having chili.

you made all that good food and she got pissed? that's f**ked up!

toss here a can of Alpo and say get after it!:D

Big gary
03-27-2015, 04:14 AM
If brisket gets any higher, saw some at 6.99 in a packer last week, I will just eat prime rib roast instead. Brisket shrinks to almost half so double that price, add seasoning and fuel and it goes north of 15 bucks a pound. Then I have old women trying to push me out of the way when I am digging thru the scratch and dent meat trying to find a bargain.

milkmanjoe
03-27-2015, 07:13 AM

That's livin' large! Love it. My wife don't eat red meat, so all I buy is...red meat. My wife don't drink any form of alcohol, so all I buy is...alcohol. I suspect she will live longer than I, but longer don't necessarily translate into happier. Dog squeeze, indeed.funny

pitor
03-27-2015, 09:55 AM
Look, I can grill, but I really haven't taken the time to learn the smoker, I need to get into that. That looks wonderful Joe, yummy. Between your wife and your daughter there's no way in hell you're ever loosing that weight. They'll just keep concocting delicious treats and nothing can stop that :D

Riverpigusmc
03-27-2015, 10:20 AM
If brisket gets any higher, saw some at 6.99 in a packer last week, I will just eat prime rib roast instead. Brisket shrinks to almost half so double that price, add seasoning and fuel and it goes north of 15 bucks a pound. Then I have old women trying to push me out of the way when I am digging thru the scratch and dent meat trying to find a bargain.

I smoke mine low and slow...275-300, in the meat chamber with all the heat coming from the side firebox. I don't lose much size at all

Big gary
03-28-2015, 02:47 AM
I cook Packers, lots of fat in them. I run my pellet smoker nailed at 225.
I keep it there till I hit 195-200 internal temp on my brisket. 12-16 hours.
Allot of fat cooks off, and goes in the grease bucket.
I have never competed or cooked for money, but I have cooked a truck load of meat. Mine always shrinks. Started paper wrapping my briskets halfway thru the cook. A little tip I stole from Aaron Franklin's in Austin. I still have tons to learn!