PDA

View Full Version : Doubles

Lane
01-24-2012, 02:44 PM
I can post this here, because we are all family and I know I won't get flamed. Chastised, yelled at, cursed, but not flamed.

A few weeks ago I added a new fire control parts to my Mil-Spec project: Ed Brown hammer and sear, Ed Brown disconnector, EB Sear Spring, EB hammer strut, EB high ride beaver tail GS and a new EB trigger. All were installed, and I took it shooting and everything worked perfectly. I was very pleased - no problems after about 150 rounds.

Over the weekend, I spent a bit more time blending the GS, and added a new EB barrel bushing - oversized, so it had to be fitted. It's all together, with the bushing being nice and tight (takes a bushing wrench to turn it.) Didn't touch (other than assemble/disassemble) the sear/disconnector/etc.

Went to the range this morning, and followed my normal "I've been tinkering" process. Load and fire one round. Load and fire two rounds and it fires both - almost to the point of only making one sound. Cleaned pants. Load and fire - very carefully - three rounds. First round fires OK - second two double.

So, now I'm paranoid - and being very careful, try to take an engineering approach to trouble shooting. I'm gripping very tight and expecting a double every time (which shot my accuracy all to hell). But I can't consistently make the gun shoot doubles.

As I shot, I would get doubles very inconsistently - one every other mag or so (at this point, I'm loading full mags and gripping like a mad man). Never more than doubles. Also, two or three times the hammer is left half-cocked vs. full cocked.

So, here's what I'm thinking could be the cause:

1. When I reassembled my gun last night, I lubed it, but I didn't clean it first. I'm thinking that I may have some gunk that's making the sear stick and not engage the hammer.

2. I could have issues with the EB sear/hammer set up, but since it worked well before, and I didn't muck with it since, I'm not convinced it's here.

3. The barrel bushing is too tight? Long shot, but I've got the old one and it'd be easy to prove. The bushing is the only new part in the equation, so it must be on the suspect list.

What are the thoughts/rants/scoldings from the group? BTW - I know that right now, this is a VERY dangerous gun, I'm I'm treating it very carefully. I never had a slam fire, but I was very careful to have a good grip and be down range every time I racked it.

Let me have it!!:mob:

Lane

NAMVET72
01-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Hello Lane,

First off all New Guns need to be stripped down and cleaned properly, then lubed well then resembled.............

Do I need to send Noel to your house to teach you how to do this?:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::wf:

Clyde

AutoMag
01-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Lane, check to see if the disconnector tunnel is dirty!!!:)

Lane
01-24-2012, 03:40 PM
One of the places I plan to check. But how would the disconnecter cause doubles? Seems like if it were malfunctiong it would prevent the trigger from pulling. This is a great learning exercise as long as no one gets hurt. :-)

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

AutoMag
01-24-2012, 03:43 PM
If it is sticking it can cause the problem. Insert a full mag and it could go full auto!!

It is good though that you only load 1 or 2 rounds after reassembly!!:)

wxl
01-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Go witrh Automag that it could be disconnector issue. Cannot imagine bushing causing it. Only other thing is you might have disturbed clearance when you worked the GS? or bent the sear spring? (bending the left & middle fingers on sear spring will lighten trigger pull).

Lane
01-24-2012, 04:11 PM
Go witrh Automag that it could be disconnector issue. Cannot imagine bushing causing it. Only other thing is you might have disturbed clearance when you worked the GS? or bent the sear spring? (bending the left & middle fingers on sear spring will lighten trigger pull).

Hmm. Didn't think of the sear spring. Ill give it a check. I didn't have the spring in while working on the GS, but it could be messed up. That's two votes for disconnector and quite a few Darwin nominations in my behalf.

GoldenVolt
01-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Just a guess Lane.

Over travel screw on trigger to far in not letting trigger reset?:confused:

Lane
01-26-2012, 01:53 AM
First, I appreciate all of the suggestions. I did some Googling before posting, and noticed that dang near every discussion on the other boards had a ton of flames and name calling. I knew that wouldn't happen here. Agree with do it yourself or not, no one told me how dumb I am. Thank you.

Second, I think the problem might be the sear spring. I disassembled the gun tonight and cleaned it, inspecting each piece carefully. The sear spring was mentioned as a potential suspect so I compared it to the original, and Viola! The middle leaf hardly had any bend in it at all. I re-bent it to match the original and reinstalled it. I'm heading to the range tomorrow - I'm going to take the original with me. If I still have issues, I'm going to swap out the spring.

I'll report back tomorrow. Thanks to my COTEP family for the suggestions and tips.

titanse05
01-26-2012, 04:05 PM
Just a guess Lane.

Over travel screw on trigger to far in not letting trigger reset?:confused:I was going to suggest this.......this was the problem with my stock '08 CBOB when it started going full auto intermittently on me. Since it was my first 1911 I sent it back to DW under warranty and they fixed it. Also, while they had it in their hands they reshaped and polished the feed ramp and something else I can't remember. Of course it didn't cost me anything and I responded by buying a '09 Heritage and '10 CCO.......lol

Lane
01-26-2012, 05:20 PM
I was going to suggest this.......this was the problem with my stock '08 CBOB when it started going full auto intermittently on me. Since it was my first 1911 I sent it back to DW under warranty and they fixed it. Also, while they had it in their hands they reshaped and polished the feed ramp and something else I can't remember. Of course it didn't cost me anything and I responded by buying a '09 Heritage and '10 CCO.......lol

So, that's an interesting thought - is it because the screw is in too far, or not far enough?

titanse05
01-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Not far enough.....the screw backs out due to firing.

Sent from my ATRIX using Tapatalk

RandallZ
01-26-2012, 06:02 PM
Can someone knowledgeable explain to me how an overtravel screw can cause this?

Randall

Lane
01-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Can someone knowledgeable explain to me how an overtravel screw can cause this?

Randall
hehehe... me too.

Lane

GoldenVolt
01-26-2012, 08:48 PM
Lane, I don't understand it either. It has something to do with bow length.:confused:

I hate to do this........" Can I Swap Out My Trigger " http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=276094

Lane
01-26-2012, 09:11 PM
Lane, I don't understand it either. It has something to do with bow length.:confused:

I hate to do this........" Can I Swap Out My Trigger " http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=276094

Why should you hate to do this? That was very good and pertinent reading. And, said very gently what many are probably thinking "what the hell is this guy doing??"

And the best part, he mentions being taught by Bob Rodgers. September can't come soon enough.

Lane

GoldenVolt
01-26-2012, 09:20 PM
Why should you hate to do this? That was very good and pertinent reading. And, said very gently what many are probably thinking "what the hell is this guy doing??"

And the best part, he mentions being taught by Bob Rodgers. September can't come soon enough.

Lane

It is a good thread. I didn't want to revert back to the "Big Forum".

Lane, what frame and slide are you going to pick out?

Lane
01-26-2012, 09:22 PM
This describes the part that the overtravel screw plays: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=281420&highlight=Overtravel+adjustment

Come on September...

Lane

Lane
01-26-2012, 09:25 PM
Lane, what frame and slide are you going to pick out?

I'm not sure yet - I really like the commander size for daily carry, and would like this to be a EDC gun. But, I'd also really like a nice custom full size. Dunno.:confused:

GoldenVolt
01-26-2012, 09:41 PM
Lane, I'm not trying to persuade you on anything. If it was my first build from the ground up, it'd be a full size.:)

I'm only 5'6", do you think I could fit in your suitcase?:D

I know you couldn't do it in class, but have you seen the Damascus slide?

http://www.photos.caspianarmsltd.com/thumbs/lrg-117-caspian_damascus_03.JPG (http://www.photos.caspianarmsltd.com/images/damascus/government/caspian_damascus_03.JPG)

I like it.:)
Greg

Lane
01-27-2012, 12:18 AM
I'm only 5'6", do you think I could fit in your suitcase?:D

I'm gonna need more luggage - do you have any idea how many people I'm smuggling? :eek: Seriously, I'm very fortunate.

I know you couldn't do it in class, but have you seen the Damascus slide?

Quite honestly, I don't know what choices we have - Bob does get the frames and slides from Caspian. I wonder if Damascus slides are more difficult to work with - isn't Damascus steel extremely hard?

BTW - I just checked, and the over travel screw was out almost to the point of falling out. I set it per the instructions mentioned above. We'll give 'er a try tomorrow. Trust me, no more 'n two at a time in the mag - can't make holsters with my face shot off.

Lane

Lane
01-27-2012, 06:28 PM
The winning answer? Overtravel screw.

100 flawless rounds at the range today - first few were the worst I've ever shot, flinching all over the place. :D

Also, now that I'm past that, I have to declare victory with the barrel bushing - accuracy and consistency with this gun are much improved.

Now, to finish checkering the front strap - oh, and a couple of holsters.

Thanks again to all those who've offered up suggestions. It's nice to be able to ask a question and not be reminded how stupid you are (I've got kids for that).

Lane

Grizzman
01-27-2012, 06:36 PM
That is great news.....and you (and I) even learned something.

GoldenVolt
01-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Lane,

Glad to hear it's working flawlessly.nanner Didn't you adjust the sear spring? How do you know it wasn't the spring too?

That slide is $800 all by it's lonesome.:( I guess it's something to dream about.

Instead of smuggling people in you could do a blog. Just a thought.:D

Greg

Lane
01-27-2012, 07:58 PM
Didn't you adjust the sear spring? How do you know it wasn't the spring too?

I shot it after I messed around with the spring, so it wasn't that - at least not exclusively.

Instead of smuggling people in you could do a blog. Just a thought.:D

Greg

I probably will - there are several people interested/jealous of my journey (sortta like climbing the mountain to see the guru...)

Lane

AutoMag
01-27-2012, 08:02 PM
Glad to hear that you got it working Lane!!!:)

Dave Waits
01-31-2012, 10:28 PM
Sorry I wasn't here to help with your trigger-bounce problem lane, did you by chance, read any instruction on installing a trigger and setting the overtravel screw beforehand?

how's your Pre-Travel?

Lane
02-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Sorry I wasn't here to help with your trigger-bounce problem lane, did you by chance, read any instruction on installing a trigger and setting the overtravel screw beforehand?

how's your Pre-Travel?

I'm going to answer this because I know you wont yell at me - well maybe not too much. I did read up on trigger/sear fit and what to look for, etc. I didn't pay particular attention to the trigger pre/over travel. I now know that wasn't the smartest plan. Fortunately, Darwin hasn't decided to thin my end of the gene pool yet.

The over travel has been set, but I haven't checked the pre-travel yet - it's clamped in the checkering jig, and I don't want to move it it (BTW - checkering is moving along nicely - somewhat tedious...)

Thanks again for all of the input and useful, non-flame comments. One day, I hope to be able to add useful input for others.

Lane

GoldenVolt
02-01-2012, 10:04 PM
I'm going to answer this because I know you wont yell at me - well maybe not too much. I did read up on trigger/sear fit and what to look for, etc. I didn't pay particular attention to the trigger pre/over travel. I now know that wasn't the smartest plan. Fortunately, Darwin hasn't decided to thin my end of the gene pool yet.

The over travel has been set, but I haven't checked the pre-travel yet - it's clamped in the checkering jig, and I don't want to move it it (BTW - checkering is moving along nicely - somewhat tedious...)

Thanks again for all of the input and useful, non-flame comments. One day, I hope to be able to add useful input for others.

Lane

Lane, No step by step photos?

:pics:

Kidding..........not....:D:D

I'm not sure about the pre travel, some triggers don't have the tabs on the bow?:confused:

Maybe start another thread about checkering:D. And we'll keep talking triggers on this one..................Hehehehe Hint, hint.:D

Greg