PDA

View Full Version : suppressors may become easier to get!!

Lonestar grips.
12-23-2015, 04:14 PM
The Hearing Protection Act, a new federal bill sponsored by U.S. Rep. Matt Salmon, R-Ariz., would remove suppressors from the stringent regulation imposed by the National Firearms Act (NFA) and make them much easier to acquire for ordinary gun owners. Deregulating suppressors would go a long way toward reducing hearing damage among gun owners—but don’t expect to see a groundswell of support from those calling for “common-sense” gun laws for the sake of “public health.”

http://www.americas1stfreedom.org/articles/2015/11/13/josh-waldron-of-silencerco-on-the-hearing-protection-act/

Caleb
12-23-2015, 05:35 PM
It would be nice if they were removed from a NFA item. Doubt they will but, who knows.

sdmc530
12-23-2015, 06:24 PM
It would be nice if they were removed from a NFA item. Doubt they will but, who knows.

agree....doubt they will but if they ever did...wow they would sell like crazy!

Lonestar grips.
12-23-2015, 07:20 PM
Lord willing the bill will pass, if so it would be no different than buying a rifle or pistol. just the NICS check.

sdmc530
12-23-2015, 08:45 PM
this would be great...would love to own one myself.

7.62Kolectr
12-23-2015, 10:18 PM
This will be like lowering the price on Ferraris by $100,000.
I won't be so cool if everyone has one!

:)

It would be nice to be able to cash and carry a can just like a gun.
The wait SUCKS!

7.62Kolectr
12-23-2015, 10:21 PM
this would be great...would love to own one myself.

In the short time I've been here I think I figured that you're a police officer no?
So I'm wondering why if you want one you don't already own one? Are you not allowed to own them where you live or something?

sdmc530
12-23-2015, 11:13 PM
In the short time I've been here I think I figured that you're a police officer no?
So I'm wondering why if you want one you don't already own one? Are you not allowed to own them where you live or something?

Yep, I work for the South Dakota Highway Patrol. Been on watch for almost 12 years now.

In SD to have a suppressor, you have to buy a tax stamp, that is what we call it. Its about $200. Then the one tax stamp allows you to buy one suppressor that you have to declare the caliber. So if you want a .22 you pay the stamp then but the suppressor. If you want another caliber you do the process again. Didn't say it made any sense but that is how SD does it...so you will pay 1K for a suppressor...give or take. OH yea and this process can take as little as 8 months and as long as 2 years. Up to the SD DCI's discretion. This is after you pass the ATF stuff. I know one guy who has one, took him 13 months and he said about 1100 bucks......

BlackKnight
12-23-2015, 11:52 PM
At least you can still get them. Here in dirty jersey they are completely banned.

edgehill
12-24-2015, 07:48 AM
Yep, I work for the South Dakota Highway Patrol. Been on watch for almost 12 years now.

In SD to have a suppressor, you have to buy a tax stamp, that is what we call it. Its about $200. Then the one tax stamp allows you to buy one suppressor that you have to declare the caliber. So if you want a .22 you pay the stamp then but the suppressor. If you want another caliber you do the process again. Didn't say it made any sense but that is how SD does it...so you will pay 1K for a suppressor...give or take. OH yea and this process can take as little as 8 months and as long as 2 years. Up to the SD DCI's discretion. This is after you pass the ATF stuff. I know one guy who has one, took him 13 months and he said about 1100 bucks......

So if you bought a suppressor that could handle multiple caliber so, you couldn't swap it from gun to gun legally?

Caleb
12-24-2015, 10:08 AM
So if you bought a suppressor that could handle multiple caliber so, you couldn't swap it from gun to gun legally?

Good question.

7.62Kolectr
12-24-2015, 11:25 AM

I cannot find anything specific related to SD that differentiates the process from the normal Federal one. If I am wrong I apologize. But I believe the one time $200 tax you refer to is the federal one not one for SD specifically? And you are correct as on the Form 4 you file the caliber of the can is required. But they does not mean you can't swap it from one host rifle to the next. The suppressor is an accessory and should be no different there than here in the sense you can change it between many hosts. Buy a .30 caliber can and use it on any .308 or 5.56 you wish. The process is now down to almost four months wait. I'm three months into my latest one and last time I called to check they told me late January.

But the bolded part above I'll ask you to clarify. Are you saying that after you pay the $200 federal tax stamp, file paperwork, get back your approval stamp that you then have to go thru some sort of addtl scrutiny? That would be contrary to how the federal system has it set up?

I'm guessing you're in same mental state as I was before I did my first one? All the reading and advice confused the heck out of me. It was quite mentally intimidating. But in the end you realize it's a very straightforward process that just takes a while.

Well worth the wait once it's over though :)
That's me in the grey shirt white hat.

AAC MPW SBR W/9 inch barrel in .300blk with AAC SDN-6
qoL_ya5GoRs

Now how you decide to register it is whole nuther thing. Some people like me had to formulate an NFA trust and put them in the name of it as there are no CLEOs here who would sign off on it. Going the trust route also eliminates need for pictures and fingerprints requirements.

sdmc530
12-24-2015, 12:52 PM

I have never thought of that. I don't know a lot about this because I have never gone to far in the process. Its my understanding that each Suppressor is a different deal so yes, you could swap...but would have to ask somebody. You register the suppressor not the gun its attached to so don't know why it would matter.

sdmc530
12-24-2015, 01:03 PM
Your right about the suppressor you can attach it to anything you want. The $200 goes to the feds....didn't really know where that went so thanks for clearing that up. I asked the LGS today about it.

the wait I can not speak of, a guy on the force got one about two years ago and took him a long time BUT all the crazy crap was happening then too so that might of had something to do with it.

from what my LGS says if you apply the SD DCI gets the application first for approval. Not sure how that works on the legal side. they said it was a mental check or something. I will have to ask next time I talk to a guy at the Capital at DCI. Not sure if that is correct at all.

So I think I got this right:

You pay the $200 tax "stamp"
fill out the form or forms
if/when approved you are allowed to buy a suppressor of whatever caliber declared.

Not that bad really.....but still the process could be a lot easier like buying a gun. Not sure why this is such a big deal really.

I cannot find anything specific related to SD that differentiates the process from the normal Federal one. If I am wrong I apologize. But I believe the one time $200 tax you refer to is the federal one not one for SD specifically? And you are correct as on the Form 4 you file the caliber of the can is required. But they does not mean you can't swap it from one host rifle to the next. The suppressor is an accessory and should be no different there than here in the sense you can change it between many hosts. Buy a .30 caliber can and use it on any .308 or 5.56 you wish. The process is now down to almost four months wait. I'm three months into my latest one and last time I called to check they told me late January.

But the bolded part above I'll ask you to clarify. Are you saying that after you pay the $200 federal tax stamp, file paperwork, get back your approval stamp that you then have to go thru some sort of addtl scrutiny? That would be contrary to how the federal system has it set up?

I'm guessing you're in same mental state as I was before I did my first one? All the reading and advice confused the heck out of me. It was quite mentally intimidating. But in the end you realize it's a very straightforward process that just takes a while.

Well worth the wait once it's over though :)
That's me in the grey shirt white hat.

AAC MPW SBR W/9 inch barrel in .300blk with AAC SDN-6
qoL_ya5GoRs

Now how you decide to register it is whole nuther thing. Some people like me had to formulate an NFA trust and put them in the name of it as there are no CLEOs here who would sign off on it. Going the trust route also eliminates need for pictures and fingerprints requirements.

sdmc530
12-24-2015, 01:04 PM
oh yeah like the video too!

Gatorade
12-24-2015, 01:36 PM
The first hurdle is called the CLEO sign off. You take you completed paperwork to a Chief Law Enforcement Officer and he signs that he knows of no lawful reason Suppressors can't be owned in your area. Most use a Sheriff but not all Sheriffs will sign. Some use Police Chiefs and some use Attourneys General but it is archaic because the CLEO could arbitrarily decide he does not sign NFA forms or only some types of NFA forms. If they are Anti 2A then they can deny a lawful applicant a lawful item for a lawful purpose with no recourse other than to try and find another CLEO or go the NFA Trust route which needs a whole seperate thread. Back in the 1920's the Feds didn't know if a person could legally own a machine gun. So they asked for the CLEO to sign that the person was t a criminal and MGs were lawful in that jurisdiction. Now the Fed does the background check and knowing if they are legal is just a click of the mouse. However they still hold the CLEO sign off for some unknown reason. Imagine having to go to a CLEO and ask for permission to buy any gun and have him say "Nope, not in my county!" Just because he can.

Once you have a CLEO sign off you get pictures and finger prints and send the package along with $200 money order to NFA branch. A couple years ago things were 12 months out. When I did my SBR last year it was down to 4 months. Time depend on amount of applicants and number of processors. When you get the approved and stamped paperwork back you can either proceed with the build or purchase of the suppressor, SBR, or MG. The only difference may be that if you go through a dealer you purchase the suppressor first but the LGS keeps posessionof it till the approved paperwork is returned. Once that happens it is yours to take home.

I should note that this is how it works in Florida but the federal end should be the same for all states. However if like Tony said as in NJ they are illegal then it's different as far as what products are legal in the particular state. Suppressors are not 50 state legal right now.

7.62Kolectr
12-24-2015, 02:09 PM
I would advise going the trust route for many reasons.
A few are that the Trust actually owns it and you can assign any number of trustees who can possess it. If only in your name it can only be in your possession or under your control at all times. The trust also allows you to assign a relative as the trustee should you pass which means they can immediately take possession of if and deal with it in a way they see fit. If only in your name it gets kinda tricky having things done right when the registered owner passes away.
Lastly the trust does away with need for fingerprints and pics and signatures from sheriffs and all that.

I put all my guns in my trust with my now 9yr old son as the inheritor and my wife as guardian till he's of age to own them himself. Prevents her from selling all 'his' guns for the $200 I told her I paid for them. :)

I had this gun made specifically with the idea of handing it down to him. That's why I went with a metal frame gun and had to have it threaded. Ruger doesn't make a gun with a factory threaded barrel on a metal frame. The plastic ones don't strike me as lifetime guns.

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx214/BlancaBusa/B2062C96-A692-4C1E-9794-CE71BADDE0AB.jpg (http://s757.photobucket.com/user/BlancaBusa/media/B2062C96-A692-4C1E-9794-CE71BADDE0AB.jpg.html)