PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17L Project

sdmc530
01-26-2016, 12:21 PM
Yesterday I picked up the frame. As you can see you can never start any project no matter how big or small without the proper nourishment.

The frame is a new G17 Gen 3 frame. Not a fan of the Gen 4 frame, just a personal preference but there she is. As you can see I did install the magazine release, nothing earth shattering there by any means.

I will update the project as it goes along. I have a ton of parts on order and yet to order so this will take some time. The next parts in will be springs, pins and things like that. I have the Slide on Back Order with Lone Wolf so won't do much until that arrives. Then just the smalls and the barrel. I am going to do this in stages, frame first, slide second, then barrel and fine tuning stuff. FYI the completed Glock is 35 parts. My goal is to be completed by April 15th. (tax day is a big deal at my house)

I know we have some Glock haters in house but I hope you enjoy the process anyways. If nothing else I hope you can get a laugh out of it at some point and some good ribbing in.

Anyways here is the beginning!

TLE2
01-26-2016, 01:33 PM
Forge on good sir!

milkmanjoe
01-26-2016, 03:29 PM
Lone Wolf upper? Longslide?......should be accurate as hell.....nice

ColMike
01-26-2016, 03:30 PM
Looks like a fun project

ronpaul50
01-26-2016, 03:40 PM
Looks like you got the parts mixed up. I've got a 17.http://www.cotep.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1452&d=1453828762

sdmc530
01-26-2016, 05:17 PM
Forge on good sir!

Thanks!

Lone Wolf upper? Longslide?......should be accurate as hell.....nice

yeah, they make good stuff, I like them. The CS dept is top notch too!!

Looks like a fun project

:rock::rock:

Looks like you got the parts mixed up. I've got a 17.

huh?

jmlutz
01-26-2016, 05:28 PM
Good luck with it.

Lonestar grips.
01-26-2016, 05:29 PM
looks like it's going to be a fun build! don't tell anyone but I would probably shoot it.:eek::D

Caleb
01-26-2016, 06:26 PM
looks like it's going to be a fun build! don't tell anyone but I would probably shoot it.:eek::D

Your grip making, holster making, knife making skills DO NOT able you to touch said evilness. Please go to the corner and think about your sins.

Lonestar grips.
01-26-2016, 07:27 PM
Your grip making, holster making, knife making skills DO NOT able you to touch said evilness. Please go to the corner and think about your sins.

:( well I did say probably.:rolleyes:

girphoto
01-26-2016, 08:14 PM
Yesterday I picked up the frame. As you can see you can never start any project no matter how big or small without the proper nourishment.

The frame is a new G17 Gen 3 frame. Not a fan of the Gen 4 frame, just a personal preference but there she is. As you can see I did install the magazine release, nothing earth shattering there by any means.

I will update the project as it goes along. I have a ton of parts on order and yet to order so this will take some time. The next parts in will be springs, pins and things like that. I have the Slide on Back Order with Lone Wolf so won't do much until that arrives. Then just the smalls and the barrel. I am going to do this in stages, frame first, slide second, then barrel and fine tuning stuff. FYI the completed Glock is 35 parts. My goal is to be completed by April 15th. (tax day is a big deal at my house)

I know we have some Glock haters in house but I hope you enjoy the process anyways. If nothing else I hope you can get a laugh out of it at some point and some good ribbing in.

Anyways here is the beginning!

Looks like a great project
If you run into any problems, give a call or send a PM.
Are you going to do anything to the grip (remove finger groves, undercut respite or cover etc)?
Adding a magwell, Have you decided on a trigger? Sights or red dot?
This can be a fun project

This was one of my first projects on a G17 Gen3 Changes the grip and it can take mag from 19 and up, Slide cuts, Red Dot (everyone at the time said Red Dot on a Glock....Silly....... now it is the best thing.... in the Optic/Caryy devision.

Finish is Fail Zero

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae326/girphoto/gary3-2.jpg (http://s984.photobucket.com/user/girphoto/media/gary3-2.jpg.html)

GaryR

sdmc530
01-26-2016, 10:21 PM
Looks like a great project
If you run into any problems, give a call or send a PM.
Are you going to do anything to the grip (remove finger groves, undercut respite or cover etc)?
Adding a magwell, Have you decided on a trigger? Sights or red dot?
This can be a fun project

This was one of my first projects on a G17 Gen3 Changes the grip and it can take mag from 19 and up, Slide cuts, Red Dot (everyone at the time said Red Dot on a Glock....Silly....... now it is the best thing.... in the Optic/Caryy devision.

GaryR

Boom, that thing is BA!! Thanks, I will PM you if I ever need anything.
The grip, you know I will probably leave alone...I have big hands and I like the finger grooves in the front...wont mess with that. Wouldn't mind trying a rubber wrap on it. This will be a range gun only so that I might explore in the end.

I am on the fence with the magwell, I have one on my STI and really like it so that is a great possibility. I like the ZEV stuff.

Sights, will see how the budget looks, if I can swing it yes, red dot all the way, Burris Fast Fire II is on my wish list...will see. Might have to put sights on it for a while first and wait on that.

Trigger, I got a NDZ kit. I liked Tony's suggestion A LOT but it too was a bit spendy. I will save the money there and hope to finish the gun faster. I Like the actual stock trigger itself but have a 3.5 connector kit coming. It was reasonably priced so will see if that is good.

So many options for Glock its crazy, like the 1911 50 people making the parts to choose from.

sdmc530
01-28-2016, 08:59 PM
Got some parts today, pins, trigger set up, grip plug, the bar and slide release. So in effect the frame will not be complete. I hope to have time to get it all set up and installed by end of weekend and I will have the bottom half ready to rock. I opted to skip magwell for now.

Anyways I had a revelation well a buddy did. I would like your thoughts....I am still a bit torn between the 9mm vs. .40 debate. I don't have either for a personal gun. But a buddy of mine here said well you dumb ass, get the G24 set up. That is the Long slide version of the .40 and all you have to then do is purchase the 9mm conversion barrel and a magazine and then for an additional $125 you will have both a .40 and a 9mm in one gun. Instead of being a 17L it would be a 24. Both according to Lone Wolf have the same slide length.

Thoughts?? Makes sense but other opinions are always good.

TLE2
01-28-2016, 09:39 PM
9mm ammo is easier to find, and based on what I've seen, generally cheaper than 40 S&W. I've never seen the mystic of 40 S&W either.

Why not go big boy and go 45ACP?

Lonestar grips.
01-28-2016, 10:06 PM
get both barrels. like Michael said 9mm is cheap. plus you get free .40 from work.

sdmc530
01-28-2016, 10:42 PM
9mm ammo is easier to find, and based on what I've seen, generally cheaper than 40 S&W. I've never seen the mystic of 40 S&W either.

Why not go big boy and go 45ACP?

Yep but 40 is free to me so no issues finding it. Also I have 6 45 so don't really have a great passion for another is want something different this time

I understand what you are saying though.

get both barrels. like Michael said 9mm is cheap. plus you get free .40 from work.

Yeah I was hoping my logic is solid on this

Caleb
01-28-2016, 11:25 PM
Get both and rock out with you glock out.

sdmc530
01-29-2016, 09:21 AM
Get both and rock out with you glock out.

ahhhhh YEAH rock out with your ---- out...YEAH nanner

thanks for your opinion though appreciate it!

Lonestar grips.
01-29-2016, 11:38 AM
ewwww...what the hell are you going to be doing with this pistol????:D

Caleb
01-29-2016, 07:17 PM
This build thread has re-sparked my desire to build up an M&P. Time to go look at my options. :D

Lonestar grips.
01-29-2016, 07:49 PM
This build thread has re-sparked my desire to build up an M&P. Time to go look at my options. :D

M&P Pro CORE with a red dot!

sdmc530
01-29-2016, 08:49 PM
The mailman was good to me today. I got home the mailbox was full of some small parts. So Kaden has been sick and was sleeping on the couch so I got to go to my "man cave" to play.
I got:
The 3.5 trigger set up...this was actually from a LGS....but he mailed it so I would not have to drive over to get it
extened slide lock release
locking block
pins/springs
grip plug

continued in next post....

sdmc530
01-29-2016, 08:50 PM
Here is the slide lock. I had a factory one for reference but I change this to the Lone Wolf extended.

Longer and easier for my fat fingers to use.

sdmc530
01-29-2016, 08:55 PM
OK so here is the frame all put together. I didn't show every part like springs and the back trigger assembly because well I don't want to over due it with pictures.

The frame is good, I am pleased with it. This part of the build is right at the $235 with the frame, parts, shipping and FFL transfer.

So far so smooth...

Today I did get the word that the slide has in fact shipped so that will be the next part coming. Nothing else on order right now waiting for the slide to get here and go from there.

sdmc530
01-29-2016, 08:56 PM
OH for fyi I chose to get the .40 cal set up initially because I then can purchase the 9mm and 357 sig down the road and shoot all three in this one gun. So now this actually a Glock 24. The .40 cal version of the long slide. Same as the 17L just not in 9mm.

girphoto
01-29-2016, 09:42 PM
Yep but 40 is free to me so no issues finding it. Also I have 6 45 so don't really have a great passion for another is want something different this time

I understand what you are saying though.

Yeah I was hoping my logic is solid on this

So, you should build the 40 and then get a conversion barrel to 9mm.
The 40 is thicker than the 9mm and you will need it for the slide.
If you already purchased the 17L slide (9mm), you might have a problem getting a 40 S7W barrel to fit.

As far as building an M&P, To my knowledge, finding a lower and upper for M&P's is a BIG TASK!

Have just finished taking a 9mm CORE and milling the slide with three windows on the top and sides to reduce weight.
Added a complete APEX trigger job with Straight trigger and competition springs.
The slide just went out to be Cerakote finished. I will have it back on Monday and photos to follow.
I have a C-more STS on top with tall S&W sights.
Added a maxwell to aid in speed reloads and away we go.

GaryR

Caleb
01-29-2016, 10:01 PM
Looking good Phil!!!

sdmc530
01-29-2016, 10:35 PM
Thanks caleb!

Sorry let me clear it up i have ordered the 24 slide its in 40. So i CAN buy conversions to 9mm and 357 sig. I hope this makes more sense.

girphoto
01-29-2016, 10:54 PM
Thanks caleb!

Sorry let me clear it up i have ordered the 24 slide its in 40. So i CAN buy conversions to 9mm and 357 sig. I hope this makes more sense.

Here you go

LWD 9mm conversion barrels will allow you to shoot 9mm ammunition from your Glock 40 S&W or 357 Sig handgun. These conversion barrels are easy to use and install the same as any other barrel, simply drop it in, no gunsmithing or other modifications are required. We do recommend you use the correct 9mm magazine with these conversion barrels to guarantee reliable feeding.

About 1% of our 9mm conversion barrels are affected by the poor performance of low powered 115 grain ammunition causing a Failure To Eject (FTE). A good example of ammunition that is “most likely to fail” is Winchester White Box (WWB). This rare failure is too low a percentage to make an issue, however it is one we are well aware of. The fix to resolve this issue is quite simple:

1 Clean and lube your slide and barrel.
2 Shoot 1 mag to 1 box of good quality +P or +P+ ammunition through the barrel.
3 Try the FTF ammunition again. If it runs... great! If you experience more failures you will have a couple choices to make:
Fix A Reduce the recoil spring weight to 11 lbs. Cost is about $25 for stainless steel guide rod and reduced power spring. See guiderods here.
Fix B Shoot 124 gr or a better quality 115 gr ammunition exclusively. The FTF 115 gr ammunition you are currently using is no longer a valid option.

What causes this problem? Several issues come into play.
1 The 40 slide and (40 conversion) barrel are thicker than standard 9mm slides and barrels. This extra thickness equates to more weight. The combined extra weight taps the energy of the "weak 115 gr ammunition” to its complete demise. It simply lacks in power and fails to reliably eject the spent round.
2 Every once in awhile a Failure To Feed/Failure To Eject (FTF/FTE) is caused by a fit issue. We resolve fit issues by pumping +P or +P+ ammunition through the gun. This hot ammunition provides extra pressure and the pressure will positively align any and all components. Once they are all aligned there is no longer a fit issue. The FTF/FTE is usually resolved.

FYI: Several manufactures are currently producing low powered 115 gr 9mm loads. This ammunition is also known to produce failures in all standard model Glock 9mm pistols.

Please note: To convert any .40 caliber gun to .357 or vise versa you don't need a "conversion", just purchase the barrel to the corresponding Glock model.

Don't forget to buy the proper magazines for your conversions.

For converting your Model 27, 33, 23, 32, 22, and 31 to 9mm :
9mm Model 27,33 9mm Model 23,32 9mm Model 22,31
Glock OEM Glock OEM Glock OEM

GaryR

sdmc530
01-29-2016, 11:40 PM
Yep.....a $100 barrel and a mag or two and I will be able to shoot 9mm do it twice and I can shoot 357 sig.

BUT I have to finish the first one... :)

Caleb
01-29-2016, 11:58 PM
Those WMD slides are price fairly. I was looking at the ones with laser engraving and the milled out ones. Pretty cool designs. Barrels are $100+/-, and coatings around $180. I might have to build one myself.

Caleb
01-29-2016, 11:58 PM
Phil, where did you get the frame?

sdmc530
01-30-2016, 12:11 AM

Gunbroker

A guy from IL I think I will have to check but very fast. Had it in three days from purchase. You have lots of options there, some have internals some striped...lots of choices there.

Sheepdog
01-30-2016, 12:43 AM

I'll shoot it! Hang it up with the rest of the targets.:D

brownie
01-30-2016, 07:29 AM
Nice project,

girphoto
01-30-2016, 09:01 AM

You can also buy a LW lower in the G19 or G17 size soon they will also have a larger size

GaryR

milkmanjoe
01-30-2016, 10:44 AM
I told my wife about this build and suddenly the Visa card is gone from the safe

sdmc530
01-30-2016, 12:46 PM
You can also buy a LW lower in the G19 or G17 size soon they will also have a larger size

GaryR

yep, they do:

Timberwolf frames bare are $200 and completed frame is $234

Gunbroker has frames complete at about $177-195. Not putting down the Timberwolf frame but why spend the extra up to $50 when a OEM Glock frame is pretty good....and the aftermarket part selection is much easier on a Glock frame.

BUT you will not go wrong with either. The guys at LoneWolf are great!

I told my wife about this build and suddenly the Visa card is gone from the safe

Yeah that will happen..... funny.... wives and their household budgets, that is silly :D

sdmc530
01-30-2016, 12:47 PM

Oh yeah! I am going to convert the masses here when I am gone, a turkey in every oven and a Glock in every home or something like that I think it goes

sdmc530
01-30-2016, 12:48 PM
Nice project,

thank you sir, I am really enjoyed this project for sure..

Caleb
01-30-2016, 12:51 PM

GaryR

I didn't think it was possible but, I personally think the LW Timberwolf frames are uglier than oem glock. I just don't care for them.

sdmc530
01-30-2016, 01:25 PM
I didn't think it was possible but, I personally think the LW Timberwolf frames are uglier than oem glock. I just don't care for them.

This is why I went back to factory ultimately I think they are ugly. But that is me. Price was a close second.

Lonestar grips.
01-30-2016, 01:43 PM
looking good so far Phil! it's coming along quicker than I thought.

funny

Caleb
01-30-2016, 01:44 PM
Why didn't you go with an engraved or milled slide for your build? They have some pretty neat designs to choose from.

girphoto
01-30-2016, 01:55 PM

Well, that might be true, but I have found that a lot of shooters coming from the 1911 format, like the LW lower.
It sits in the hand like a 1911, points like a 1911 and has all of the goodies (straight back, rounder finger guard etc) like a 1911.
They are a good quality (I have used many) and their slides are a better quality than the original Glock slides (you can leave them as they come or refinish).
But if you are looking for a new Glock lower send me a PM. I have a supplier that gets them from time to time and in various colors (DE, OD, Black).
Never know what models he has in stock but they do com complete with all of the inners.
GaryR

Caleb
01-30-2016, 02:26 PM
Well, that might be true, but I have found that a lot of shooters coming from the 1911 format, like the LW lower.
It sits in the hand like a 1911, points like a 1911 and has all of the goodies (straight back, rounder finger guard etc) like a 1911.
They are a good quality (I have used many) and their slides are a better quality than the original Glock slides (you can leave them as they come or refinish).
But if you are looking for a new Glock lower send me a PM. I have a supplier that gets them from time to time and in various colors (DE, OD, Black).
Never know what models he has in stock but they do com complete with all of the inners.
GaryR

I have heard that about those frames and that's why inquired about them a few years ago. I just can't get past the looks, tho.

PM inbound about the factory lowers.

sdmc530
01-30-2016, 11:05 PM
Why didn't you go with an engraved or milled slide for your build? They have some pretty neat designs to choose from.

Another good question: when I think about getting the gun finished i try to put funds in the best places. I have not ruled out getting something done to the slide but that doesn't use my tight budget to its best place, for now. I am going to concentrate on finishing the basics first then fancy it up. I have not decided on sights or optics yet either so that could cost some money. Hope that makes some sense. I would love to go crazy on tje thing but that is not in the cards right now.

pitor
01-30-2016, 11:05 PM
Nice project Phil. Thinking of building an m&p for competition...

sdmc530
01-30-2016, 11:07 PM
Nice project Phil. Thinking of building an m&p for competition...

Good it's lots of fun even though it's not a 1911. I am loosing sleep over the project thinking what to how to do on and on

Riverpigusmc
01-30-2016, 11:10 PM
I'm tellin' your wife you're using squirreled away doughnut money for a gun :p

sdmc530
01-30-2016, 11:23 PM
I'm tellin' your wife you're using squirreled away doughnut money for a gun :p

She would know your a lier i never skimp on doughnuts! funny

sdmc530
02-05-2016, 01:31 PM
Nothing major, just the slide :rolleyes:. Have not gotten a chance to throw it on the frame yet but here it is. Looks great. they don't put the wolf logo on it anymore, was pleased to see that missing. I like a bare slide. More pics to come with it on the gun soon, when I get some free time.

PistolPointCocked
02-05-2016, 02:49 PM
Does anyone know where i can find a speed reload accessory for my new KWA AKG 74M?

Lonestar grips.
02-05-2016, 03:47 PM
Does anyone know where i can find a speed reload accessory for my new KWA AKG 74M?

howdy,

I bet you'd get more help if you started a thread asking if anyone knows where to find one rather than asking in this thread.:)

welcome to the forum.

Lonestar grips.
02-05-2016, 03:48 PM
looking good so far Phil!

sdmc530
02-05-2016, 04:19 PM
looking good so far Phil!

thanks....getting more eager for spring all along now

still waiting for my fried chicken funny

PistolPointCocked
02-05-2016, 04:20 PM
After reading through the forum, ya'll seem like you know quite a bit about building a firearm, hence the question set forth to you. Thanks for the suggestion to try a new thread. Before i leave to start a venture within a new thread, does anyone have an extended mag for the new H&K MP7A1 Gas Blowback?

sdmc530
02-05-2016, 05:20 PM
After reading through the forum, ya'll seem like you know quite a bit about building a firearm, hence the question set forth to you. Thanks for the suggestion to try a new thread. Before i leave to start a venture within a new thread, does anyone have an extended mag for the new H&K MP7A1 Gas Blowback?

Start a thread on wtb for the blowback start another thread in lounge to find the other part.
Thanks.