PDA

View Full Version : Aim Surplus Database Breach

Caleb
05-03-2016, 12:36 PM
If you have ordered from here, keep your eyes open.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/04/30/breaking-aim-surplus-database-breach-compromises-customer-data/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=2016-05-03&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter

DrHenley
05-03-2016, 03:44 PM
For the past 19 years I have been responsible for the security of a computer system that had sensitive information including bank accounts, credit card numbers and Soc Security numbers.

I've been holding my breath for 19 years.

I retired two weeks ago...I can finally exhale...:cool:

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=98&pictureid=1046

Gatorade
05-03-2016, 04:35 PM
I think with data breaches it isn't if but when. Hackers are targeting smaller businesses because large ones are getting better at security. Smaller businesses have the same sensitive information for customers which is all they are after. A list of names and numbers associated with those names.

Businesses should digitally shred info after it is no longer required. However most keep the info and use it for repeat purchases or other data mining themselves. I worked at a small retail store and we offered a credit account through a few different finance companies. Our customers filled out an application with all the relevant sensitive financial info and we photo copied their drivers license and a major credit card as proof of ID. Once the application was approved we filed the physical paperwork in our secure document storage. In the case of the stores I worked at that was either a filing cabinet or a bankers box with all the other store records. I would shake my head whenever I mentioned to corporate that we should not have that information just sitting in a box in the stores. What if the store was broken into and the files stolen or what if we hired someone who would pull the info they wanted whenever they wanted. All store employees processed the applications so all store employees had access to all the information. When we closed stores the boxes of applications were sent to corporate and sat in a corner of the warehouse with all the paperwork from that particular store. When you consider social security numbers never change that pile of papers is vulnerable for many years to come.

To this day I hate store cards and financial applications.