PDA

View Full Version : Another tragedy in Orlando

DrHenley
06-15-2016, 11:37 AM
Damn, it's like the gates of hell have been opened in Orlando.

Yesterday (Tuesday June 14) 2 year old boy was dragged off of the beach by a gator at Disney World. The father went into the water to try to free the boy but was unsuccessful.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2016/06/15/gator-drags-boy-into-lake-at-disney-resort/
http://www.clickorlando.com/news/deputies-still-searching-for-missing-2-year-old-boy-dragged-into-water-by-alligator-at-disney

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=98&pictureid=1046

Riverpigusmc
06-15-2016, 11:42 AM
Yep. Tourists from up north, the child was playing in one foot of water. Shame a local didn't warn them

FfNJGTFO
06-15-2016, 12:27 PM
Damn, it's like the gates of hell have been opened in Orlando.

Yesterday (Tuesday June 14) 2 year old boy was dragged off of the beach by a gator at Disney World. The father went into the water to try to free the boy but was unsuccessful.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2016/06/15/gator-drags-boy-into-lake-at-disney-resort/
http://www.clickorlando.com/news/deputies-still-searching-for-missing-2-year-old-boy-dragged-into-water-by-alligator-at-disney

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=98&pictureid=1046

Sadly, the Sheriff is now calling this a "recovery" operation. :(

I would have thought that the signage near the lake (which read, simply, "No Swimming") might have also warned against the possibility of alligators being present in the lake. But, as BH mentioned on FCC, the Disney folks probably didn't want to scare off potential customers from enjoying the beach area. I wonder if this will change, now... I'm sure the lawyers are reving up on both sides!

LittleGator
06-15-2016, 01:38 PM
Terribly tragedy. Can't begin to imagine how the parents feel right now.

FfNJGTFO
06-15-2016, 01:54 PM
Terribly tragedy. Can't begin to imagine how the parents feel right now.

Hopefully, they'll take some solace in knowing they did what they could to try and fight for their son.

It doesn't look good at all. The Sheriff mentioned that there were witnesses that saw the alligator take the child "under water." We don't know if the alligator may have surfaced with the child elsewhere, but that's highly unlikely.

All we can do is keep our children safe around bodies of water with which we're not familiar.

Sheepdog
06-15-2016, 02:46 PM
Prayers for the family.

sdmc530
06-15-2016, 03:13 PM
HORRIBLE....on a side note there was signs on the waters edge according to the SO interview. STILL feel awful for the family. What a horrific event!

milkmanjoe
06-15-2016, 03:16 PM
So sad.....Such a violent death for a child. The parents will receive million$ yet never be happy again....Hopefully their 4 year old can have a good life.

FfNJGTFO
06-15-2016, 03:24 PM
HORRIBLE....on a side note there was signs on the waters edge according to the SO interview. STILL feel awful for the family. What a horrific event!

I watched the Sheriff's press conference. Unfortunately, according to the Sheriff, the signs only said "no swimming." They did not mention any warnings about alligators. That would seem plausible, since I'm pretty sure Disney wouldn't want to "over alert" parents and scare them away from the attractions. The boy was standing/wading in 1 ft. of water which, tragically, was enough... :(

I wonder if Disney will change their policy now about warnings. Especially since I can see the lawyers firing up over this one, big time!

milkmanjoe
06-15-2016, 04:42 PM
FOX is reporting divers found the child's body intact. That in itself is a miracle.

Riverpigusmc
06-15-2016, 04:51 PM

"No swimming " signs. Seems Disney didn't think to warn Yankees this is Florida, and any fresh water will have gators and cottonmouths. They'll write a big check for this screwup

FfNJGTFO
06-15-2016, 05:08 PM
FOX is reporting divers found the child's body intact. That in itself is a miracle.

Confirmed, sadly. :( The young boy has been identified as 2 y/o Lane Graves, son of Matt and Melissa Graves. The boy was found completely "in tact," according to the Sheriff. Medical Examiners are confirming the identity and completing the autopsy. The FWC is also attempting to identify the alligator that took the child. They have caught and euthanized 5 alligators, for which they'll be doing bite analysis, etc.

FfNJGTFO
06-15-2016, 05:15 PM
"No swimming " signs. Seems Disney didn't think to warn Yankees this is Florida, and any fresh water will have gators and cottonmouths. They'll write a big check for this screwup

I'm sure Disney's "Risk Management" unit will be all over this. Them, and their "insurance" companies, which are more likely to write the check. Sadly, from an insurance "actuarial" context, a child's life isn't worth as much as an adult (and a provider to the family). But it's worth a whole lot to that family, for sure. The problem is Disney is still controlling the family right now, offering them "support and comfort." I just hope that through their grief, the family doesn't sign away their rights to take them on... something I'm sure Disney will try and get them to do while they're still on the property. :mad:

RKP
06-15-2016, 06:16 PM
Damn, it's like the gates of hell have been opened in Orlando ......

Yes indeed ... sad

milkmanjoe
06-15-2016, 06:36 PM
I'm sure Disney's "Risk Management" unit will be all over this. Them, and their "insurance" companies, which are more likely to write the check. Sadly, from an insurance "actuarial" context, a child's life isn't worth as much as an adult (and a provider to the family). But it's worth a whole lot to that family, for sure. The problem is Disney is still controlling the family right now, offering them "support and comfort." I just hope that through their grief, the family doesn't sign away their rights to take them on... something I'm sure Disney will try and get them to do while they're still on the property. :mad:

They will get a fortune. If Disney starts cheaping out the bad PR would cost too much.

FfNJGTFO
06-15-2016, 06:57 PM
They will get a fortune. If Disney starts cheaping out the bad PR would cost too much.

Let's hope so. They deserve whatever they can get from "The Rodent."

pitor
06-18-2016, 08:47 AM
Truly sad. I don't think it particularly affects only out of state visitors. Many Florida native not used to the outdoors could've been victims of such tragedy.

In the end I think Disney NEEDS to strongly advice against swimming in lagoons abs bodies of water in their properties. Big signs