PDA

View Full Version : Ankle Carry

edgehill
01-02-2017, 12:41 PM
I'm considering doing ankle carry as a backup to my main gun. I have a Bodyguard 380 that I've had for a number of years.

Does anyone here ankle carry? Does anyone have any advice about ankle carrying? Tips or tricks?

Riverpigusmc
01-02-2017, 12:55 PM
I tried it once. Not for me. But I usually wear boots, so clipping a holster in was easy. Strapping it on my ankle is a no go. Good luck

Caleb
01-02-2017, 02:42 PM
Interested in the replies......... was considering the same thing with the same pistol.

BlackKnight
01-02-2017, 02:55 PM
I do ankle carry during duty. It is with the understanding that it's an backup and an O.S. situation.

1. Carry it on the inside of opposite leg. If you're righty, then inside of the left leg. This is for security. On the outside (I've actually seen this) it tends to print and hit things as you walk.
2. Never bend down to retrieve it. Step into a lunge, grab the pant leg below the knee with the left hand as you lunge, drawing your weapon. This does a couple of things. Keeps your eyes on your opponent (as opposed to bending down), greater base, and lowering yourself making your self a smaller target. Keep your feet loaded to be able to get back up quickly and move if needed.

Hopefully this helps.

skosh69
01-02-2017, 03:44 PM
I do ankle carry during duty. It is with the understanding that it's an backup and an O.S. situation.

1. Carry it on the inside of opposite leg. If you're righty, then inside of the left leg. This is for security. On the outside (I've actually seen this) it tends to print and hit things as you walk.
2. Never bend down to retrieve it. Step into a lunge, grab the pant leg below the knee with the left hand as you lunge, drawing your weapon. This does a couple of things. Keeps your eyes on your opponent (as opposed to bending down), greater base, and lowering yourself making your self a smaller target. Keep your feet loaded to be able to get back up quickly and move if needed.

Hopefully this helps.

This answer should be a sticky.

Great info Tony.

edgehill
01-02-2017, 05:57 PM
That's great. Thank you Tony. I'll practice this unloaded for a while until I feel comfortable with it.

BlackKnight
01-02-2017, 06:06 PM
I'll practice this unloaded for a while until I feel comfortable with it.
Yes, please. I can't be held responsible if you shoot your flat screen. ;)

FfNJGTFO
01-02-2017, 06:08 PM
Yes, please. I can't be held responsible if you shoot your flat screen. ;)

Would you have any recommendations for an ankle holster that works in the scenario you describe? Something that can handle, say, a Shield 9mm?

Thanks!

sdmc530
01-02-2017, 06:09 PM

Hopefully this helps.

This is spot on Tony. I wear a 380 ankle too but its for when the sheet really hits the fan. I find it a great carry for places you need to be really discreet and still carry. This is my go to carry spot for movie theaters the once a year I go to a movie, the mall and church. But for work its my back up to a backup. But that is a different situation usually.

I like to ankle carry, find it comfy and easy to forget about. I have a wrap around ankle holster that is easy to adjust at any time. Don't hesitate to carry on the ankle, BUT practice the draw from different positions. Sitting, bending, on the move. I can see it being a tricky situation if you don't practice but that is any holster too. Don't bend to retrieve, that is so correct but I still practice it just in case. Never know what situation will come up. But the "squat draw" is best.

BlackKnight
01-02-2017, 06:23 PM
Would you have any recommendations for an ankle holster that works in the scenario you describe? Something that can handle, say, a Shield 9mm?

Thanks!
Good question. I've carried a backup in all different places, from opposite hip, to behind the back. The one thing I found the hard way is you need a good ankle holster, especially if you run, or like me, kick or knee someone some times. Once, running after a suspect, the gun came out and got to the suspect before I did, :eek:
So the best one I found was from Galco. They seem to hold the best. Pricey, but worth it.

Also, in my case, I only carry on my ankle, as a backup. It's only my secondary. My primary is always on my hip. It's how I train and it's ingrained.

pitor
01-02-2017, 10:34 PM
I'm considering doing ankle carry as a backup to my main gun. I have a Bodyguard 380 that I've had for a number of years.

Does anyone here ankle carry? Does anyone have any advice about ankle carrying? Tips or tricks?

I have the same gun, great gun for ankle carry. Best ankle holster IMO is the Bianchi 4750 Ranger Triad Holster

https://www.safariland.com/products/holsters-and-gear/holsters/concealable-holsters/ankle/model-4750-ranger-triad-ankle-holster-DG_25.html