PDA

View Full Version : Senate Confirmation Hearings Begin... Buckle up, folks!

FfNJGTFO
01-10-2017, 11:59 AM
I'm watching the first day of Senate Confirmation hearings. Today, it's Jeff Sessions for US Atty. General, in front of the Sen. Judiciary committee. If this morning's session is any indicator of how the rest of the hearings (and the overall process) are going to go, we better "buckle up" because we're going to be in for a long haul. Not, necessarily based on the questioning, but the time taken to clear the committee room of protestors. I think I've counted maybe 7 interruptions by protestors shouting "NO TRUMP... NO KKK... NO <insert whatever else they don't like>." They (protestors) are getting quite smart, and organized, actually. They'll stand in "sleeper mode" in groups of 2 or 3. Then, one by one, as a Republican member of the committee is questioning Sessions on a point favorable to him, and/or, as Sessions replies, one group will get up and start yelling the protest chants. And they do it in front of the entire audience, including some of Sen. Sessions' family and grandchildren! And, one by one, they get bounced by the security team, as the chairman would indicate they would at the call to order, this morning. It will probably take all day to flush the rest of the protestor groups out of the committee room.

I'm wondering how these people even got into the committee room to begin with. Do they not vet people before they enter? Or is it that denying them entry is a violation of freedom of speech? Who knows?

One other point... As it happens, the "Vice Chair" of the Sen. Judiciary committee is...... <drum roll>...... Sen. Diane Feinstein! :eek: :mad: