PDA

View Full Version : Firearms budget beatimg

Semper Paratus
08-23-2017, 04:55 PM
Well SWMBO and I are making moves towards retirement. On September 15 we are closing on a 26 acre Lake Front tract about 45 minute up the road. One of the great aspects is that there is a wonderful gully that will allow me to set up my own little pistol range at 25 and maybe even 50 yards. Shoot steel and all the stuff I can't at the gun club.
I started adding up the costs today...the land ...no big deal we bought that with some legacy funds from our parents all of whom have now passed. I think they would approve...But the septic system, a well, a 50ish horse tractor, a trailer for the tractor, a 4WD truck for access and towing the tractor and equipment if I need to, a four or 6 wheeler to get around on the place not to mention a house a shop a pole barn.
We are not going to build out there for 3 or 4 years so I can shop for good used stuff but....I had been thinking about a Les or an Ed but those kind of look out of the question for now until we are settled and have a handle of the $ hemorrhage. Don't get me wrong our we are ok to make this happen but multi thousand discretionary spend is not currently an option....
A great problem to have...something I have been dreaming of for almost 40 years is starting to come true...Now to find the decently priced equipment:confused:

FfNJGTFO
08-23-2017, 05:01 PM
Well SWMBO and I are making moves towards retirement. On September 15 we are closing on a 26 acre Lake Front tract about 45 minute up the road. One of the great aspects is that there is a wonderful gully that will allow me to set up my own little pistol range at 25 and maybe even 50 yards. Shoot steel and all the stuff I can't at the gun club.

Are there any "Environmental Ordinances" etc., to deal with in re: all that lead seeping into the ground? I gather you're on a tract where they can't cite "noise pollution" or any such thing like that... Where I am in FL, we have to have at least 1 acre between us and the neighbors before we can shoot on our own property. :rolleyes: :mad:

Riverpigusmc
08-23-2017, 05:30 PM
Are there any "Environmental Ordinances" etc., to deal with in re: all that lead seeping into the ground? I gather you're on a tract where they can't cite "noise pollution" or any such thing like that... Where I am in FL, we have to have at least 1 acre between us and the neighbors before we can shoot on our own property. :rolleyes: :mad:

Unless that's a local HOA rule, it don't jibe with Florida law. Shoot anywhere as long as the bullet stays on your land

Caleb
08-23-2017, 05:55 PM
Unless that's a local HOA rule, it don't jibe with Florida law. Shoot anywhere as long as the bullet stays on your land

The pig is correct.

FfNJGTFO
08-23-2017, 06:30 PM

The pig is correct.

Guns.com - Florida Bans Backyard ranges (http://www.guns.com/2016/02/27/florida-bans-backyard-gun-ranges/)...

Florida Statutes - FS 790.15 - Discharging firearm in public or on residential property (http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.15.html)...

Take note of section (4)....

:eek:

sdmc530
08-23-2017, 06:32 PM
Good luck on your adventure! Would be so awesome to have a private range.....a boy can dream!

a private range and my own 40 miles of bike path.

Riverpigusmc
08-23-2017, 06:44 PM
musta snuck that one in. Oh well, don't apply to me
congrats on the venture

FfNJGTFO
08-23-2017, 07:11 PM
musta snuck that one in. Oh well, don't apply to me
congrats on the venture

Trust me.... it definitely applies to me... :mad:

NAMVET72
08-23-2017, 11:43 PM
Make a big pile of dirt back stop and invite anyone around you that shoots..

Congrats on land etc

Clyde

RKP
08-24-2017, 09:02 AM
...... something I have been dreaming of for almost 40 years is starting to come true...Now to find the decently priced equipment :confused:

Sounds AWESOME !! http://www.cotep.org/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Slowly but surely start pecking away at all of the things you've mentioned, it'll all come together for you.
I basically went through the same scenario about 15yrs ago on some lake front property doing the building myself, took me a year working on it every weekend, using all my vacation time up and everything else I could scrape together. It kicked my azz fair and square but it was well worth it, you'll feel the same way when it's all said and done.
Good luck !! ;)

Gatorade
08-24-2017, 01:25 PM
Trust me.... it definitely applies to me... :mad:

I think subsection b is the work around you need. If you just put a pallet against the chain fence on your property line then you would be screwed. If you have a trap, berm or other enclosure that would by reasonable measure be safe then you should be good to go. However as they always say, the devil is in the details. You may win the case but you may still take a ride.

FfNJGTFO
08-24-2017, 01:56 PM
I think subsection b is the work around you need.

A very risky work around. I think any decent prosecutor would argue (and quite successfully) that the very size and proximity of properties to one another (in my PUD, most properties are .1 acres in area and jammed right next to each other) would pose, by definition, an "unreasonable foreseeable risk to life, safety, or property." This, plus the noise factor (i.e. neighbors hearing gun shots and SWATing other neighbors) and the "children playing in the backyard" factor, etc. etc. If the properties were, at least, 1 acre each and the housing units an acre apart, you might be able to use that subsection B. But, as the famed acronym says...

NIMBY! :mad:

1911jr
08-25-2017, 06:07 AM
Congrats and enjoy it for many years sir