PDA

View Full Version : Okay

NAMVET72
11-03-2017, 03:02 PM
Here goes for all you reloaders and long range shooters:

1) Do you always use the same brass?
2) Do use the same bullet weight that you sighted your LG in with?

I use same make of brass and the bullet weight I sighted my gun in with.

One other little tid bit to look at is the Primers you use and the primer hole in your brass,

Clyde

DrHenley
11-03-2017, 06:14 PM
Brass weight is important but bullet weight is crucial. The whole reason I started reloading was because I had trouble finding the same brand and load from year to year. I'd have the gun sighted in for Remington 180 grain and the next year all I could find was Federal 150 grain, that sort of thing. And I didn't have a range nearby, I had to wait to sight in at deer camp...and since I was driving at night to deer camp, that meant I had to hunt with a load the next morning that might or might not be sighted it. Or I might have to hunt with an assortment of loads that didn't all have the same point of impact. This was back before the days of Midway of course.

Getting started was not easy back then. But I finally rounded up what I needed to reload, bought a large batch of military surplus 30-06 and pulled the bullets and I started loading from that batch of brass and used the same bullet and load for over a decade. And like magic I started making one shot kills.

http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=22&pictureid=888

sdmc530
11-03-2017, 09:08 PM
Here goes for all you reloaders and long range shooters:

1) Do you always use the same brass?
2) Do use the same bullet weight that you sighted your LG in with?

I use same make of brass and the bullet weight I sighted my gun in with.

One other little tid bit to look at is the Primers you use and the primer hole in your brass,

Clyde

Only load pistol but:

1. I use whatever I have...
2. see #1.

BUT if I loaded for precision rifle, I would be very picky about these things!

AFJuvat
11-03-2017, 09:11 PM
Yes and yes.

RandallZ
11-04-2017, 12:20 PM
Brass weight is important but bullet weight is crucial.

Brass weight is not intuitive, but it is important. Given the same exterior dimensions, the empty brass weight indicates the interior volume of the case. I separate my cases into (usually) three piles based on weight--weighed after all other case trimming/flash hole deburring, etc. It does make a difference on POI between case weight groups.

Randall