PDA

View Full Version : hi

HOLLYW00D
03-06-2012, 11:12 AM
i'm new around here, and everywhere else. i've never owned a firearm before, but have always been fascinated by them. by nature, i love and appreciate a well engineered and put-together piece of equipment. i'm nearing the end of my MBA program (one week left) and my 32nd birthday is right around the corner (tomorrow), coupled with the fact that my first-born son will be turning one this year, i wanted something to commemorate my achievements with something special that can be passed down from father to son; a tradition of sorts.

i had mentioned firearms to my wife in the past, but being an anti-gun person, the idea of a gun in the house never really took off. recent violent events not too far from home had disturbed my wife enough to start arming our house alarm at night, which we had seldom used in the past. i decided to bring up the notion of a home defense weapon/commemorative trophy for my achievements. she did not agree, but she actually heard me out and didn't directly disagree. feigning ignorance, i took that to mean i was allowed to purchase a firearm. long story short, last week i placed an order for a Dan Wesson Valor. my wife flat out said she didn't like the idea, but it didn't cause any arguments or tension at home. nanner

my valor will be arriving tomorrow, and i reckon i'll be breaking her in the weekend after next. "excited" would be an understatement to describe how i'm feeling. cowboy

NAMVET72
03-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Welcome to Our Own Little Forum........

Clyde

JBT
03-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Welcome to the forum, Hollywood. A Valor for your first firearm? Congratulations! I hope you take it upon yourself (and your wife) to get acquainted with your new firearm by enrolling in a NRA Basic Safety Course and then further your training by taking some home protection classes. Good luck! :)

MajO
03-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Welcome to the forum.

mjkortan
03-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Welcome to the forum, Hollywood. A Valor for your first firearm? Congratulations! I hope you take it upon yourself (and your wife) to get acquainted with your new firearm by enrolling in a NRA Basic Safety Course and then further your training by taking some home protection classes. Good luck! :)

Welcome and +1 on the above. Definitely a good idea to gain some great knowledge on safe gun handling.

Snipersnest
03-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Welcome aboard!

AutoMag
03-06-2012, 01:34 PM
Welcome to the forum HOLLYWOOD!!:)

jmlutz
03-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Welcome in:) Mike

Riverpigusmc
03-06-2012, 03:54 PM
Welcome from the Gunshine State. As previously stated, your next investment, without a doubt, is professional training.

Daedalus
03-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Nice selection for your introduction to the addiction. For what it is worth, my suggestion is don't 'encourage' your wife to shoot. Ask once and let it go. Sooner or later she may want to give it a try. That might be a good time to have a smaller caliber firearm available. Some of them get into, others not. Pushing sure does not work. Ask me how I know :p

Roverron
03-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Nice selection for your introduction to the addiction. For what it is worth, my suggestion is don't 'encourage' your wife to shoot. Ask once and let it go. Sooner or later she may want to give it a try. That might be a good time to have a smaller caliber firearm available. Some of them get into, others not. Pushing sure does not work. Ask me how I know :p
+++1 on that! FWIW, in my case wifey wants a Wilson Xtac. . . and for all I know that's what she's getting. . . .to encourage her I bought a 'Hawk T-3 to go with the DW Valor and and the USP she can't use!
Welcome to the fun! Training is a very good, safe item and should be #1 on your list after getting the gun.

GoldenVolt
03-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Welcome Hollywood,

To the :insane::party::party::party::party:

To avoid an accidental dicharge...
Rule # 1 The gun is always loaded.
Rule # 2 Keep your bugger hook off the Bang switch.

I agree with the Training. Get some.

Greg

Sheepdog
03-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Welcome to the asylum. Always good to have a new shooter. As others have pointed out, some basic train ing is a good idea. There are allot of very knowledgeable members here that will gladly answer any questions you have. Without ridicule.