PDA

View Full Version : 45 Auto +P and DW Commander

NWDave
05-24-2012, 11:35 AM
My DW Commander Bobtail has a build year of 2008. My wife, bless her heart, bought some Hornady 45 Auto +P, 230 gr XTP (product #9096) as a gift (it's the little things in life that make memorable days ;)). I've asked around about using +P but there are just too many different opinions. It's been mentioned that 45 Auto -normal pressure - SAAMI is approximately 21,000 psi and 45 Auto +P is approximately 23,000 psi. So-o-o-o, your considered opinion to the question: is +P OK to use in the Commander or secretly return the +P ammo and get normal 45 Auto. An additional piece of information is that the +P would be for carry only, not for range or competion work.

MajO
05-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Dave,

I would expect that you will receive many opinions on the answer to your question. IMHO, as you provided the context that the your only use of the +P ammunition would be to carry in your DW, kind of like a fire extinguisher, then I say: go ahead, if it makes you feel better protected.

Firing +P ammunition regularly is supposed to invalidate some warrantees and require you to change springs and such much sooner. I don't carry or shoot +P, but that's just me.

This will be an interesting thread to follow.

Best wishes.

Roverron
05-24-2012, 12:04 PM
I'd suggest contacting DW to see. Most 1911's don't play real nice with +P. My NH and my USP are +P rated and the paperwork states as such.

Dave Waits
05-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Dave, I shoot a lot of +P 45ACP through my RIA without any problems, your DW should be fine. For a long time I used Hornady TAP XTP 230gr.+Ps as my carry-load. They did 904fps ave(Chrono'd) in my five-inch Rock. Now, I carry Winchester Premium 230gr. SXTs in it, they do a flat 900fps.

mjkortan
05-24-2012, 05:38 PM
I see no issue with it. I too asked this question awhile back but didn't receive much response. A phone call to dw and my Vbob now has a 20lb recoil spring. I received as a pay back 1000 rounds of win ranger t +p:D. I plan on using that as my carry ammo and have run about 250 rounds through my Vbob with no issues.
Like I said if you plan on shooting alot of it I would suggest upgrading to a 20lb recoil spring, Saves the slide and frame abuse caused by +p ammo.

jmlutz
05-24-2012, 06:01 PM
I've never had a problem with +P in my DW's you should be fine. Mike

TLE2
05-24-2012, 07:09 PM
And I've never had a problem with +P in my Kimber.

Kicks hard, and bites, but the gun goes on and on and on and on.

ColMike
05-24-2012, 07:51 PM
. An additional piece of information is that the +P would be for carry only, not for range or competion work.

I don't like the idea of having ammo in my weapon that I haven't fired enough to consider it reliable to carry. It may not be my normal practice ammo but I will have fired it enough to trust it. YMMV

NWDave
05-24-2012, 07:52 PM
I see no issue with it. I too asked this question awhile back but didn't receive much response. A phone call to dw and my Vbob now has a 20lb recoil spring. I received as a pay back 1000 rounds of win ranger t +p:D. I plan on using that as my carry ammo and have run about 250 rounds through my Vbob with no issues.
Like I said if you plan on shooting alot of it I would suggest upgrading to a 20lb recoil spring, Saves the slide and frame abuse caused by +p ammo.
Now I gotta dig up the paperwork and see what spring came with the CBOB. I thought it was a 20lb spring.

Jdl2
05-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Dave,

If you call or email Keith Lawton you'll learn what you need to know and make a personal connection with The Man at Dan Wesson. Great guy and always happy to help.

On a personal note. What are the chances of your wife divorcing you and marrying me :)

Jim

Keith Lawton
607-336-1174
[email protected]

AutoMag
05-24-2012, 08:41 PM
+P ammo should work just fine in your DW but I really have to ask why?? 230 grain ball or JHP ammo will do what you need it to do and not put any un-necessary wear on your 1911.

+P will probably give you 100fps higher velocities so if you were going to carry +P ammo you also need to train with it. Price point is a bit more also.

Sheepdog
05-24-2012, 09:25 PM
IMHO there should be no issues shooting +P in your DW.

Lane
05-24-2012, 09:51 PM
I don't like the idea of having ammo in my weapon that I haven't fired enough to consider it reliable to carry. It may not be my normal practice ammo but I will have fired it enough to trust it. YMMV

I feel the same way - this is why I load my own self defense ammo. I can't afford to practice with factory JHP ammo. I know there's a lot of rumor that you'll get prosecuted if you load your own, but when challenged, I've never had anyone be able to back it up with case law.

For me, the defense is easy. In order to be safe and confident in my carry weapon, I need to practice with the ammo I carry. The only practical way to do this is to load my own.

Just my $0.02 worth.. now back to the original discussion.

Lane

NWDave
05-25-2012, 12:00 AM
Dave,

If you call or email Keith Lawton you'll learn what you need to know and make a personal connection with The Man at Dan Wesson. Great guy and always happy to help.

On a personal note. What are the chances of your wife divorcing you and marrying me :)

Jim

Keith Lawton
607-336-1174
[email protected]

Thanks for the link up.

As to your personal note: We've been married for 47 years, which included 17 years of my 20 year military career. Whaddaya think your chances are? BTW, Slim just left town.

Thedragonslayer
05-25-2012, 01:03 AM
Dave,

Jim

Keith Lawton
607-336-1174
[email protected]

funnyfunnyfunnyfunny

Personally Id run a few through thecold girl just to make sure shs is up to the +p task. And carry away if she is!!!

Noel