PDA

View Full Version : 1911 similarities between brands and models

ColMike
06-23-2012, 10:09 AM
Let's take a holster for instance. You get one made for a 1911 5" model. I know a holster wears in for a specific gun and person, but are the different brands similar enough to warrant one holster for all of a given size or should you have a holster for each weapon.. Example. I have a holter by Lane for a DW VALOR, full size 5" 1911. If I get anohter, say from Les Baer, is it similar enough to make no difference inwear patterns? or I have a DW CCO, if I get a nighthawk commander size, are they close enough not to matter?
Thanks
Mike

Grouse
06-23-2012, 10:19 AM
the only things that really matters are standard saftey (ie government model saftey versus extended) and if it has a rail

sdmc530
06-23-2012, 11:01 AM
they all shoot . 45... funny

Grouse
06-23-2012, 11:38 AM
they all shoot . 45... funny

except when they are 9mm,40,38 supper, 10mm, and 400 corbon.

Riverpigusmc
06-23-2012, 11:50 AM
I have a Wilson pancake 5" for OWB and carry the Wilson fullsize or the Kimber 4" in it..works fine. Also have a Wilson Summer Companion made for 4" IWB that I carry both the fullsize or 4" in never seems to be a problem.

DaFadda
06-23-2012, 01:02 PM
I have a GREAT idea here.... Let's ask our Holster Maker!!!

LANE!!! You wanna weigh in on this one?

DaFadda

sdmc530
06-23-2012, 03:52 PM
except when they are 9mm,40,38 supper, 10mm, and 400 corbon.

:mob: nobody asked you......:)

DaFadda
06-23-2012, 08:27 PM
yeah Aaron... so there! LOL! And what is a 38 Supper???

sdmc530
06-23-2012, 08:38 PM
yeah Aaron... so there! LOL! And what is a 38 Supper???

Is it supper time already, I could eat funny

Lane
06-23-2012, 11:35 PM
From my experience - for what it's worth - all 5" 1911's are the same with regards to holsters - excluding tactical rails, which don't belong on 1911's in first place :)

Where things can be a bit challenging is in the smaller sizes. Depending upon the manufacturer, I've seen the mid size/commander size at 4" or 4.25" inches. Compact/Officer sizes at 3 or 3.5".

With that, the holsters will usually fit - just not perfectly. I've had people tell me that they've successfully used a Commander size holster for full sized guns - the nose just sticks out a bit.

Given all that - my professional opinion is that each of your guns should have it's own holster. Usually in several different colors and styles. Maybe two or three holsters per gun just to be safe.

:D

Lane

DaFadda
06-24-2012, 07:49 AM
SEE???? I told ya! I told ya! I told Ya!... Laney would know... and he DID... he DID!!!!!

nannernannernannernannernanner:):p:p:pnannernanner nannernanner

(oops. Sorry... It was just my inner child popping out for a moment)

Overslept this morning and am still working on my first cup of coffee.

DaFadda

Riverpigusmc
06-24-2012, 01:49 PM
SEE???? I told ya! I told ya! I told Ya!... Laney would know... and he DID... he DID!!!!!

nannernannernannernannernanner:):p:p:pnannernanner nannernanner

(oops. Sorry... It was just my inner child popping out for a moment)

Overslept this morning and am still working on my first cup of coffee.

DaFadda

um...ain't you late for church, or does yours have self service preaching?:)

Riverpigusmc
06-24-2012, 01:51 PM
From my experience - for what it's worth - all 5" 1911's are the same with regards to holsters - excluding tactical rails, which don't belong on 1911's in first place :)

Where things can be a bit challenging is in the smaller sizes. Depending upon the manufacturer, I've seen the mid size/commander size at 4" or 4.25" inches. Compact/Officer sizes at 3 or 3.5".

With that, the holsters will usually fit - just not perfectly. I've had people tell me that they've successfully used a Commander size holster for full sized guns - the nose just sticks out a bit.

Given all that - my professional opinion is that each of your guns should have it's own holster. Usually in several different colors and styles. Maybe two or three holsters per gun just to be safe.

Lane

nice business approach:p

ColMike
06-24-2012, 02:06 PM

Lane

I just knew you were going to say that! funny