PDA

View Full Version : Holding / Grip My 1911

jsn124
08-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Hey guys,

So I wanted to get some opinions or advice about how I shoot / hold my VBOB. I want to first say that I've been reading lots of forums, articles, and collecting advice and experience about how to grip the 1911 for shooting. In particular about riding the thumb safety (I'm a righty shooter).

First of all I am not trying to start or re-hash any arguments here. I just wanted to share my experience and get some thoughts.

Since I picked up my first 1911 pistol earlier this year (I had a Sig 226 for some time before) I gripped it thumbs forward but with my right thumb directly underneath the thumb safety. I'm a small guy, only 5'5" and I consider myself to have smaller hands.

For the last few range sessions I have tried to hold my VBOB with my thumb on the safety but my joint / bone digs right into the lower part of the thumb safety near the grip safety and has been downright painful. I'm not trying to complain but its gotten to the point where its negatively affecting my shooting and I'm literally flinching to pull the trigger after about 50 rounds.

I've tried to adjust this style of grip but I just can't seem to get it to a place where there is no pain for me.

I completely understand the reasoning for holding it up so high and really would like to do this. But I feel like I'm at the crossroads of just going with what feels "right" (again, thumbs forward but under the safety) or continuing to try to make this work.

Again, I'm not looking to start any debates but should I seek out someone for 1-on-1 training if I'm just not doing something right? I had a rough day at the range and it left me feeling pretty bummed out as I left!

Thanks for your suggestions.

*** Mods: I apologize I just realized there is a "Pulling the Trigger" forum. Please feel free to move this if necessary. There is also a thread on grip technique but I figured this was specific enough to warrant a separate thread / question regarding discomfort in particular.

Sheepdog
08-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Here is something that might help. I have one of these on one of my Gunsite Colts.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6677/Product/1911-AUTO-LOW-MOUNT-THUMB-SAFETY

jsn124
08-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the link Sheepdog. Definitely looks interesting.

I'm hoping I can just work on gripping my pistol without riding the safety. But I'll definitely keep it in mind!

Riverpigusmc
08-10-2012, 06:36 PM
I was taking an RSO class recently, and the young instructor was informing me that shooting crossed thumbs was "incorrect and unsafe" and lectured me on how to do thumbs forward in a somewhat condenscending fashion. I promptly drew my Wilson, and shot both bad guys hiding behind the hostages in their foreheads. That promptly ended the lecture. My point? Don't give a s*it about the current fad or what others think you should do. You wont get critiqued during a gunfight...do what works for YOU.