PDA

View Full Version : Price for a custom built 1911

Boats
10-27-2012, 05:52 PM
I am contemplating having a completely custom 1911 built for me.

There is a builder here in SE Virginia that seems to have a good reputation, who builds using Caspian frames and slides. The folks at Caspian reportedly think a lot of him.

I'm not interested in a fancy weapon, just a good looking, very tight, accurate, reliable carry.

I was thinking about a Commander size, all steel 1911 with combat sights, and maybe a bobtail, but that's about it.

Is it fair to even ask what I should be expecting to pay for such a beast?

What should I be thinking about before I talk to the smith?

girphoto
10-27-2012, 08:24 PM
HI, There are a few custom builders in the business...A full blown custom job will run about $3000 and up. Look at Millennium Custom www.mcguns.com

or Fusion (on 1911 site)

I have guns built by both and they do a complete Custom 1911 or 2011.

You can also look at Wilson or Nighthawk....

Have fun with your build and they are taking about a year at this point.

You must consider hammer, trigger, barrel (carry or competition) thumb safety (or two) MSH with or without magwell, grip safety, sights, and final finish (Fail-Zero, Ion-Bond, Blue, Blue-black, chrome, etc. Grips Regular or thin, G-10 or wood, checkered or not or part. Grip checkering, press checks front & back.

Gary

Sheepdog
10-27-2012, 09:03 PM
I would stay away from Fusion.

NAMVET72
10-27-2012, 09:11 PM
I would contact Dave Severns....................

Clyde

cracker1961
11-23-2012, 09:15 AM
I would stay away from Fusion.

Interesting....

I've browsed hundreds of posts about them and you really have to dig deep to find a negative comment about their work or service. The only one I did find was in the process of being fixed and was directly related to the owner using different ammo than what he specified I believe.
I wouldn't have a problem buying anything from them and would rate their work as good as any custom shop.

Boats
11-23-2012, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the comments!

My custom is in progress.

It is being built on a Remsport Commander carbon steel frame, Caspian carbon steel slide, Wilson Combat match SS barrel, and mostly WC and Les Baer internals.

It will be a bobtailed commander (not CCO) sized pistol, with very classic looks. Assuming it turns out well, it will be my daily carry.

Everything is on order and should be coming in shortly. The only thing back ordered is the slide - 6 to 8 weeks :(

Since it will be built locally with an experienced 1911 smith who lives close to me, I expect it do be finished in the month of January and then it will be sent out to Glenrock Blue for a Royale Blue bluing.

I hope to learn a lot from watching the build, maybe enough to be comfortable doing the next one myself.

Pics will be forthcoming as we start assembly.

Boats

MajO
11-23-2012, 06:55 PM
Good luck on your "project."

Boats
11-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Good luck on your "project."

Thanks, Joe.

It's going to be a learning experience for sure. Most of you guys know volumes more about 1911's than I do, but I'm learning and will learn much faster now that I'll be taking a part in building one from scratch.

Boats

deldago
11-24-2012, 09:48 AM
I wish there was a smith near me that worked like that.It is a much better experience getting to watch your dream gun being built than calling a company with your credit card and waiting.I am very jealous,hope you enjoy the experience!Be sure to post pics along the way.

Boats
11-24-2012, 11:00 AM
I wish there was a smith near me that worked like that.It is a much better experience getting to watch your dream gun being built than calling a company with your credit card and waiting.I am very jealous,hope you enjoy the experience!Be sure to post pics along the way.

Know what you mean. I had no idea there was someone like that here until my LGS told me about him. Turns out he lives right around the corner. He even likes the same whiskey that I do :)

Go figure.

Maybe there's a sleeper like that near where you live. Ask around, you never know.

Will post pics as available.

Tom

JimF4M1s
11-24-2012, 12:30 PM
Xxxxx

Boats
11-24-2012, 12:56 PM
Well don't go chatting with a bottle of your favorite whiskey when he is working on your pistol. :D

Ummm, yeah. Too bad.

Two of my favorite things... they just don't go well together.

Not to worry, we'll be careful :toast:

Boats