PDA

View Full Version : MagHolder Review

sdmc530
11-18-2012, 02:21 PM
Hey all. I was a lucky guy to win one of the MagHolder in the Karma section.
This is my review for the product. I attached a picture below.

First impression that is was nicely packaged and it was not what I was expecting. I thought this will not do what it is supposed to do, but I was proven wrong right away. The magazine was held in strong and firm. There was no wiggle or play once it was completely inserted into the holder. I received this on Fridays mail so immediately put it on my belt with an empty magazine and wore it all day. I did have to make one simple modification I have a bit of a gut you might say and when I would bend over it would rub and it has a bit of a sharp edge so a tough of sandpaper took care of that. So Saturday I loaded the magazine with 230gr (the heaviest load I had) and wore it all day again. I even wore it to church by accident because I forgot I was wearing it. Its a simple but very utilitarian design. It holds the magazine horizontal for very quick reloads with some practice.

Pros:
Simple, Small, easy to use design makes it a very effective mag carrier.
Price point is good, I believe they are sold for $25 shipped and that is a fair price, I would buy one for that price if I didn't get a free one from a karma.:p

Cons:
Not sure if this is a con but its plastic so you could not wear it as a show or dress holster set up. But I don't really think this is the intended purpose. But that said you will still need a "fancy" one for a show type set up.

I like the holder overall it will be my new range/utility holder. I like the horizontal carry position, can definitely see the advantage with this for quick reloads with some practice.

Thanks......

jmlutz
11-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Good Deal, Thanks for the review:)

NAMVET72
11-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Glad You like the Karma you Won Phil,

Also Good Review......

Clyde

Mghwk
11-18-2012, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the review. I appreciate the candid and very prompt feedback. The sharp edge thing I will certainly look at. The ones that went out for the Karma are the first production batch. We ran the molds for 1000 cycles, and now need to tear them down, make any adjustments, and nickle plate them for longevity. MagHolders are made of 6/6 15% glass filled nylon, and that makes them very abrasive on the molds. It is also the same stuff they make synthetic rifle stocks from, and is extremely tough. This allows the MagHolder to be minimalist in design and light weight/low profile. When we plate the molds, we can radius the curves a bit to smooth edges.

Your comment on the retention is spot on. Most people wonder if it is going to retain the magazine firmly. Horizontal carry does not impart anywhere near the loads on the carrier that vertical does. It doesn't offer the same type of leverage which tries to pry the mag and holder away from the body and off the belt. Retention needs to be solid, but not severe. This speeds up the draw from the carrier a bunch. I'm also interested in your experience with different mags. The Colt factory mags seem to be the worst when it comes to adhering to the original drawings. The surest retention seems to be with high quality mags like Wilson, McCormick, etc. Even the furthest out of spec mags offer sufficient retention for reliability and security though.

We learned a bunch from the 1911 MagHolder which will be incorporated into the Glock, Springfield XD/XDM, and M&P MagHolders. Those are coming in a matter of weeks.

Thanks again for the review. I look forward to other members trying out MagHolders. Like SDMC said, it is a functional and specific design aimed at concealed carry, but probably not BBQ material unless you're a tool&die maker or plastics nerd, lol. :nanner:

NAMVET72
11-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the review. I appreciate the candid and very prompt feedback. The sharp edge thing I will certainly look at. The ones that went out for the Karma are the first production batch. We ran the molds for 1000 cycles, and now need to tear them down, make any adjustments, and nickle plate them for longevity. MagHolders are made of 6/6 15% glass filled nylon, and that makes them very abrasive on the molds. It is also the same stuff they make synthetic rifle stocks from, and is extremely tough. This allows the MagHolder to be minimalist in design and light weight/low profile. When we plate the molds, we can radius the curves a bit to smooth edges.

Your comment on the retention is spot on. Most people wonder if it is going to retain the magazine firmly. Horizontal carry does not impart anywhere near the loads on the carrier that vertical does. It doesn't offer the same type of leverage which tries to pry the mag and holder away from the body and off the belt. Retention needs to be solid, but not severe. This speeds up the draw from the carrier a bunch. I'm also interested in your experience with different mags. The Colt factory mags seem to be the worst when it comes to adhering to the original drawings. The surest retention seems to be with high quality mags like Wilson, McCormick, etc. Even the furthest out of spec mags offer sufficient retention for reliability and security though.

We learned a bunch from the 1911 MagHolder which will be incorporated into the Glock, Springfield XD/XDM, and M&P MagHolders. Those are coming in a matter of weeks.

Thanks again for the review. I look forward to other members trying out MagHolders. Like SDMC said, it is a functional and specific design aimed at concealed carry, but probably not BBQ material unless you're a tool&die maker or plastics nerd, lol. :nanner:

Like You Are???????????????

Clyde

sdmc530
11-18-2012, 09:39 PM
I didn't try my colt mags will let you know how they fit. I used my kimber mag and my STI mag for the test. I have about 5 brands of mags I will get back to you on the rest.

sdmc530
11-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Oh yeah if I didn't have a gut the edge wouldn't of been an issue, just where you insert the mag is sharp but a simple fix

Riverpigusmc
11-18-2012, 09:55 PM
are they ambidexterous?

sdmc530
11-18-2012, 10:36 PM
are they ambidexterous?

No they have a left n right hand model I believe

Mghwk
11-19-2012, 03:34 AM
Like You Are???????????????

Clyde
Ha! Apparently, one can learn to be a nerd by osmosis. I don't want to ruin any credibility by admitting I actually was an English major. I grew up around engineers, though, and inherited a curiosity for how stuff works. I am fortunate to be surrounded by smart people and I ask lots of dumb questions without worrying (or knowing) if they are dumb questions.

I hope SDMC doesn't regret winning this karma after all the questions I'm asking him about his experience with different mags, carry routine, etc.:D

Mghwk
11-19-2012, 03:39 AM
No they have a left n right hand model I believe
SDMC is correct about right and left hand models being available. A right handed shooter would typically order the "left" model for use with the left hand during a reload. The only big exception, other than personal preference, is if the shooter wants bullets pointing up instead of down, in which case the "R" version is ordered and worn upside down on the belt.

I hope that's clear as mud now ;)

sdmc530
11-19-2012, 08:37 AM
Ha! Apparently, one can learn to be a nerd by osmosis. I don't want to ruin any credibility by admitting I actually was an English major. I grew up around engineers, though, and inherited a curiosity for how stuff works. I am fortunate to be surrounded by smart people and I ask lots of dumb questions without worrying (or knowing) if they are dumb questions.

I hope SDMC doesn't regret winning this karma after all the questions I'm asking him about his experience with different mags, carry routine, etc.:D

NEVER......besides I like to talk.....:)