PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying my wife a pistol...

Sunderbrew
12-17-2012, 08:18 PM
Hey guys Im thinking of getting a pistol for my wife to start carrying. Ive been trying to get her to for a while and the recent events have finally convinced her. I want to spend in the 400-800 range Ive head good things about rock Island 1911's and Im thinking of getting her the compact tactical 9mm. Anyone have this pistol out there or anything like it. Ive personally never shot a sub compact 1911 and just want some input.

Caleb

Riverpigusmc
12-17-2012, 08:25 PM
Does she shoot? A 1911 is more of a professional's gun...is she's familiar with the platform? RIA is a good place to start..wouldn't go subcompact, though. If she's a new shooter, I'd look at a Shield or M&P with a manual safety or a J frame revolver. YMMV

Sheepdog
12-17-2012, 08:36 PM
What pig said. My wife carries a S&W 640(642) hammerless air weight 38 special. Light and easy to carry.

Roverron
12-17-2012, 08:44 PM
My wife likes my DW ECO in 9mm and she handles it well. That's out of the price range you said though.

Brandana
12-17-2012, 09:33 PM
I was shooting with a friend this weekend and he tried out his new Ruger LC9 and was impressed with the accuracy. His came with a CT lazer which worked well for close rapid fire. My wife is liking my LCP and if she takes it I will seriously consider the LC9.

MajO
12-17-2012, 10:43 PM
Hey guys Im thinking of getting a pistol for my wife to start carrying. Ive been trying to get her to for a while and the recent events have finally convinced her. I want to spend in the 400-800 range Ive head good things about rock Island 1911's and Im thinking of getting her the compact tactical 9mm. Anyone have this pistol out there or anything like it. Ive personally never shot a sub compact 1911 and just want some input.

Caleb

I just purchased a Spartan III 9mm 1911. It has a 3.2 inch barrel and sits nicely in the palm of the hand. It is "made" in Texas, but assembled in the PI, by RIA.The price was $650. SIG has the 938, which is 9mm and costs a little more. Then there is the SIG 238 in .380. I would suggest taking her to a range/gunstore where she can handle and possibly shoot a couple. should be fun. Best wishes.

Merry Christmas

wxl
12-17-2012, 10:54 PM
Ditto MajO, let her pick out what she likes. Take her to a LGS that lets customer try out their stuff. My wife checked out some of my stuff (20+), thought 3 or 4 maybe OK, qualified with my (now hers) Glock 19 (she has a G26 but the G19 felt better). Then she bought a Kahr 380.

Edit- I have a Sig 238 and she shoots it well BUT she is not comfortable with hammer guns when it gets to uncocking one (AD)

KeystoneWeaponBK
12-17-2012, 11:46 PM
I've got an RIA in a 3.5" although it is the 45ACP... It is actually the gun that I carry most of the time however it is quite a little thumper, it's super accurate and I swear I can shoot it as good as my 5" 1911's but I agree with what was said above... For instance, my wife doesn't like shooting it because of it's recoil although in a 9mm it may be much different but one of my shooting buddies brings his girlfriend along and all she wants to shoot is my compact rock because she loves the way it feels... So to each his (or her) own... (Btw my wife's favorite gun to shoot is my midsize TCM 22... If they ever made it in a single stack compact she would carry that) my sister Inlaw is in love with my glock 19 and each of them have different taste in what "feels right"

I'm also a big fan of the smith shield although they are kind of hard to find where I live and if you do find them the retailers are gouging on the prices, they shoot great though if you can take her to some gun shops and let her hold a few different guns I bet she'll find something :-)

Let us know what you get!!

herefordman1
12-18-2012, 08:45 AM
Keep an open mind and don't fail to take a gander at the P238 & P938

Jim

Boats
12-18-2012, 08:59 AM
I agree! I'm actually about to buy one of the two for my BUG.

Boats

23eagle
12-18-2012, 10:00 AM
I bought myself a Sig 238 when they first came out. Very accurate and reliable. When Sig came out with the Ultra Compact I got one. When my wife saw it, she immediately claimed the 238 as hers. She has never fired any kind of gun in her life, so I took her out in the back yard and gave her instructions and a 22. By the time she made it to the 238 she was doing very well. She likes the 380 round best. Says anything bigger hurts her wrist. But as good as she shoots, it is all she needs. The girl is good!

Sheepdog
12-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Consider how she will carry it. I am not a fan of purse carry. If a BG comes at her the first thing he is going to grab is the purse. Either for the money or to keep from getting hit with it. Then they have the gun. Accessibility is another problem. Most women don't "like" the purses designed for carry. The five steps of a draw from holster has to be mastered, a draw from a purse would be infinitely more complicated. Even a small light 1911 is a big gun. I have taught my wife and two daughters basics of handgun carry. All of them chose a 45 over a 9mm, the felt recoil of the 9mm seems sharper than that of the 45. Let them shoot different calibers you may be surprised. My daughters didn't like the 38 snubbie at all.I would say most women do not want to carry a pound and a half of gun in their purse. My 2 cents.

23eagle
12-18-2012, 06:52 PM
I got my wife a Flashbang holster. Kind of cool, actually.

DaFadda
12-18-2012, 07:43 PM
Danger will robinson!danger!
Please do not buy your wife a handgun. Big mistake. SHE needs to try,hold,handle on her own. Ask her own questions. If she doesnt, you will end up with a gun she will not carry.

Thi kabout it.would u want me pick out your gun for you.?

Just sayin....i did this once in my life:eek::eek:

Sunderbrew
12-18-2012, 09:53 PM
Thanks everyone for the input!! She is fairly familiar with firearms ( mostly rifles and shot guns for hunting), and she shoots my beretta 96 pretty comfortably and she shoots my ruger mk3 hunter ok to. I was leaning towards 1911 since that's what I carry. I think the most important thing is just to have her handle a bunch of different pistols and make decision from there.

JimF4M1s
12-18-2012, 11:30 PM
Xxxxx

DaFadda
12-19-2012, 08:06 PM
Thanks everyone for the input!! She is fairly familiar with firearms ( mostly rifles and shot guns for hunting), and she shoots my beretta 96 pretty comfortably and she shoots my ruger mk3 hunter ok to. I was leaning towards 1911 since that's what I carry. I think the most important thing is just to have her handle a bunch of different pistols and make decision from there.

Yes yes yes!! I was on a tablet yesterday when I posted my reponse Sunderbrew. Please encourage her to try different firearms, maybe even stand behind her and tell the ninjamallguncounterclerk to lighten up when he wants to show her a "woman's gun"... encourage her to shoot, shoot and shoot different firearms until she finds "THE" one for her. It's got to be her decision though... If she choose a pink Charter Arms revolver that she WILL carry... it's better than that nifty .45 1911 that you would carry... cuz she'llhave it on her when its needed.

I have a couple of Bersa's that I thought my wife would like. 380 and 22 LR. I bought them without her knowledge... then said "what would you think if I bought you a new pistol for your birthday?" Her response? "If and when I want a pistol, I'll choose it myself. You taught me to shoot, and you told me to buy what I'll carry" (hate it when she quotes me!!!!) "when I find the right one, I'll buy it."

I gulped...and was proud... at what I created. She will NOT be intimidated by some salesman at the gun counter. She'll kick his.... as the English say.... "Arse."

Still my 2 Cents.
DaFadda