PDA

View Full Version : NRA says "No!" To any gun control!

Roverron
12-26-2012, 06:28 AM
AFP - The NRA, the most powerful gun lobby in the United States, ruled out any support Sunday for greater regulation of firearms or ammunition magazines after the Sandy Hook elementary school massacre.

Wayne LaPierre, the executive vice president of the National Rifle Association, said planned legislation to outlaw military-style assault weapons and large-capacity magazines was "phony" and would not work.

He repeated the NRA's call to place an armed guard in every school and argued that prosecuting criminals and fixing the mental health system, rather than gun control, were the solutions to America's mass shooting epidemic.

On December 14, a disturbed local man, 20-year-old Adam Lanza, killed his mother in their Newtown, Connecticut home before embarking on a horrific spree at a local elementary school.

He burst into Sandy Hook elementary and shot dead 20 six- and seven-year old children and six adults with a military-style assault rifle before taking his own life with a handgun as police closed in.

The bloodshed reopened a national debate on gun laws.

President Barack Obama said he would support a new bill to ban assault rifles and put Vice President Joe Biden in charge of a panel looking at a wide range of other measures, from school security to mental health.

Democratic Senator Diane Feinstein has pledged to table a bill on January 3 that would ban at least 100 military-style semi-automatic assault weapons, and would curb the transfer, importation and the possession of such arms.

"I think that is a phony piece of legislation, and I do not believe it will pass for this reason," LaPierre told NBC's "Meet the Press." "It is all built on lies that have been found out."

"We don't think it works and we're not going to support it," he said.

The NRA points to the fact that the 1999 shooting at Columbine High School, when 12 kids and a teacher were gunned down by two senior students, occurred despite similar legislation being in force at the time.

"I don't think it will (work). I keep saying it, and you just won't accept it: it's not going to work, it hasn't worked. Dianne Feinstein had her (previous) ban and Columbine occurred," LaPierre said.

America has suffered an epidemic of gun violence over the last three decades including 62 mass shooting incidents since 1982. The vast majority of weapons used have been semi-automatic weapons obtained legally by the killers.

There were an estimated 310 million non-military firearms in the United States in 2009, roughly one per citizen, and people in America are 20 times more likely to be killed by a gun than someone in another developed country.

The NRA has been in the crosshairs since the Sandy Hook massacre and took the unusual step on Friday of holding a press conference and speaking out on the tragedy.

But rather than come out in support of limited gun control measures, the lobby -- which retains a powerful influence over politicians, especially from rural districts where gun owners are the norm -- demanded that armed police be deployed to every school in the country.

LaPierre reaffirmed that position on Sunday and launched a fierce defense of gun owners' rights, which he portrayed as being imperiled by rich folk in cities, elite politicians and a hysterical media.

"The average guy in the country values his freedom, doesn't believe the fact that he can own a gun is part of the problem and doesn't like the media and all these high-profile politicians blaming him," he said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/23/nra-guns-_n_2356745.html
An unwavering National Rifle Association said Sunday that not a single new gun regulation would make children safer, that "a media machine" relishes blaming the gun industry for each new attack like the one that occurred at a Connecticut elementary school, and that a White House task force on gun violence may try to undermine the Second Amendment.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/23/n-r-a-leaders-defiant-in-television-appearances/
Leaders of the National Rifle Association said Sunday that they would fight any new gun restrictions introduced in Congress, and they made clear that they were not interested in working with President Obama to help develop a broad response to the Connecticut school massacre.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3460_162-57560649/nra-we-will-oppose-semi-automatic-weapons-ban/
Though alleged shooter Adam Lanza used a Bushmaster AR-15 rifle when he murdered 20 young children and six adults at a Newtown, Conn., elementary school - not five months after the same type of gun was used to kill 12 at an Aurora, Colo., movie theater - the National Rifle Association "will continue to oppose a ban on semiautomatic weapons," the organization's president David Keene said today on "Face the Nation."

You guys want a no-compromise gun group? You have one, it's called the NRA. I think it's time for me to upgrade to a lifetime membership!

DaFadda
12-26-2012, 07:09 AM
Regardless of what the NRA says..... I still maintain my own opinion.

We can expect a bill that will return us to the days of "the ban," but this time, there will be no sunset provision. The gun takers learned their lesson on this the hard way the first time. In addition to the 1994 like bill (which by the way... .CONNECTICUT still has in force. They never sunsetted it!), we'll also see a ban on removable, external magazines, and mags with hi capacity. We'll be told... "you just don't need that." California is already trying to work around the "Bullet button" that requires you to use a tool or a bullet tip to remove your AR magazine, but I think that will be the national compromise. So... what you get is this:

You'll keep your semi autos, plastic or steel, but with a 10 shot limit. Most 1911's will be fine. We've been surviving on 7 for a very long time.

Any rifle with an external magazine, AND more than one of the five "evil features" will be banned. The 5 evil features are: Bayonet lug, pistol grip, collapsible stock, flash hider, external mag.

Any rifle with an external magazine will be required to have a Bullet button. ( I think that will be the compromise). The bullet button can be replaced rather easily, but I'll bet it will be permanent on new lowers.

Rifles with a magazine that loads from inside the pistol grip (Beretta Storm, Hi Point, etc) will be allowed, but limited to 10 rounds, and nothing will be able to extend past the pistol grip.

Nothwithstanding the NRA, this is what I think we are looking at happening on the national level. No, we will NOT lose our right to carry, but we can expect our right to choose will be whittled away slowly. The above will happen first, then..... "featureless rifles" will become the norm, then.... no semi auto, then no magazines.

Not being the type to call this conspiratorial... I'm just seeing this as a logical way for the left to ban guns eventually.

Your comments are more than welcome!

DaFadda

ColMike
12-26-2012, 07:14 AM
Dark days alhead regardless.

titanse05
12-26-2012, 07:57 AM
Regardless of what the NRA says..... I still maintain my own opinion.

We can expect a bill that will return us to the days of "the ban," but this time, there will be no sunset provision. The gun takers learned their lesson on this the hard way the first time. In addition to the 1994 like bill (which by the way... .CONNECTICUT still has in force. They never sunsetted it!), we'll also see a ban on removable, external magazines, and mags with hi capacity. We'll be told... "you just don't need that." California is already trying to work around the "Bullet button" that requires you to use a tool or a bullet tip to remove your AR magazine, but I think that will be the national compromise. So... what you get is this:

You'll keep your semi autos, plastic or steel, but with a 10 shot limit. Most 1911's will be fine. We've been surviving on 7 for a very long time.

Any rifle with an external magazine, AND more than one of the five "evil features" will be banned. The 5 evil features are: Bayonet lug, pistol grip, collapsible stock, flash hider, external mag.

Any rifle with an external magazine will be required to have a Bullet button. ( I think that will be the compromise). The bullet button can be replaced rather easily, but I'll bet it will be permanent on new lowers.

Rifles with a magazine that loads from inside the pistol grip (Beretta Storm, Hi Point, etc) will be allowed, but limited to 10 rounds, and nothing will be able to extend past the pistol grip.

Nothwithstanding the NRA, this is what I think we are looking at happening on the national level. No, we will NOT lose our right to carry, but we can expect our right to choose will be whittled away slowly. The above will happen first, then..... "featureless rifles" will become the norm, then.... no semi auto, then no magazines.

Not being the type to call this conspiratorial... I'm just seeing this as a logical way for the left to ban guns eventually.

Your comments are more than welcome!

DaFaddaIf this is the case, there will be millions more felons in America. Only thing that I see happening is the mag capacity limit. I think that everyone relizes what a joke the first AWB was and how much this one will be too if it happens.

DaFadda
12-26-2012, 08:02 AM
Titan.... what I've just described IS the 1994 ban, with the exception of the bullet button function. It is what CT has in effect now, and has had since 94. The Newtown killings were performed with post ban gun(s).

Yes, there will be more felons if this concept were to go through, but then again... isn't that what is wanted by the gun takers? To make us felons would take away our right to own ANY firearm. no? And most of us are law abiding people.

hmmmmm.
DaFadda

Roverron
12-26-2012, 08:28 AM
I don't see a ban on those evil black rifles, however I do see them trying to limit mags holding more than 10 rds. Hopefully, the republicans will do the right thing and not cave. Given time this will disappear. New Yorkshire strict gun laws didn't keep the lunatic madman from shooting firemen so my question to their stupid azzhat mayor boomberg is how would you stop yjis with more gun laws? You can't take guns from crazies and crooks, won't happen!

Boats
12-26-2012, 08:45 AM
I'm going to sit out the prognostication on this one, except to say that I believe we will at the very least get the same ban we had last time.

I actually have one of those "Post Ban" black rifles and though it's a bit modified, I can get it back in Post Ban condition. I hope I will be able to keep it, even though it has a pistol grip and an external mag.

Boats

Zilmo
12-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Something is going to happen, that's for sure. They may keep me from buying certain things in the future, but they sure as hell won't get what I already have.

titanse05
12-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Something is going to happen, that's for sure. They may keep me from buying certain things in the future, but they sure as hell won't get what I already have.Nor will I think that it will affect anything that is already out there. Just future purchases......which as we all know, will solve absolutely nothing. What a pathetic state our country is in.

Steve CT
12-26-2012, 08:21 PM
Connecticut's first Gun Control attempt looks like it will include:

-Prohibit the sale and possession of any rifle, shotgun or pistol magazine with a capacity of more than 10 rounds;
-Expand the definition of an ‘assault weapon’ under current Connecticut state law to apply to firearms which exhibit just one particular physical trait, as opposed to two (i.e., the presence of a pistol grip beneath the action of the weapon) which will make it an Assault Weapon and not legal in CT
-Require the registration with state law enforcement officials—and the biennial registration renewal—of all firearms by model and serial number;
-Institute a 50-percent sales tax on the sale of ammunition and firearms magazines;
-Require a permit to purchase ammunition;
-Prohibit the online purchase of ammunition;
-Prohibit the purchase of ammunition in Connecticut by anyone who is not legally authorized to possess a firearm in Connecticut;
- Prohibit the storage of firearms and ammunition in a manner that allows access by persons under age 18.

This legislation is written and ready to submit when the new Legislative session opens

ColMike
12-26-2012, 08:45 PM
would a thumbhole stock be considered a pistol grip?

Dave Waits
12-26-2012, 09:17 PM
Guys, it's gonna be a bit harder to pass an Assault Weapon Ban now because, unlike the last ban, they're staring down the barrel of DC v. Heller. Using their standard practice of 'Stare-Decisis' they'll(SCOTUS) see that these are precisely the weapons the 2nd.Amendment protects.
U.S. v. Miller will bite them square in the rump. Anybody who doubts this, read the majority opinion by Chief Justice MacRenyolds.

Steve CT
12-26-2012, 10:32 PM

Maybe, I know in CA and MA it is specifically named as a pistol grip, just gotta wait and see. I can't comprehend how this will end up going through in CT, but emotion trumps common sense all too often. I looked for 10 rd mags last week, because I'm certain that is coming. They may settle for the bullet button, but who knows?

Roverron
12-27-2012, 05:45 AM
Connecticut's first Gun Control attempt looks like it will include:

-Prohibit the sale and possession of any rifle, shotgun or pistol magazine with a capacity of more than 10 rounds;
-Expand the definition of an ‘assault weapon’ under current Connecticut state law to apply to firearms which exhibit just one particular physical trait, as opposed to two (i.e., the presence of a pistol grip beneath the action of the weapon) which will make it an Assault Weapon and not legal in CT
-Require the registration with state law enforcement officials—and the biennial registration renewal—of all firearms by model and serial number;
-Institute a 50-percent sales tax on the sale of ammunition and firearms magazines;
-Require a permit to purchase ammunition;
-Prohibit the online purchase of ammunition;
-Prohibit the purchase of ammunition in Connecticut by anyone who is not legally authorized to possess a firearm in Connecticut;
- Prohibit the storage of firearms and ammunition in a manner that allows access by persons under age 18.

This legislation is written and ready to submit when the new Legislative session opens

I'm glad I don't live there. Here in Oklahoma, we're trying to require armed presence in our schools similar to what Texas does now. Heck, we now have open carry if one is inclined to do that.
In other words instead of taking away rights we're giving out more. It's not perfect but it's for sure not kalifornica, Chicago, Bloomberg NY, DC, or it seems possibly CT.....??.

Boats
12-27-2012, 08:11 AM

Wouldn't seem like it to me. Doesn't really fit what they think they're after - the "hold it at waist level and spray" kind of scenario.

I guess you never know though. Feinstein would take them all, I believe.

Grouse
12-27-2012, 08:55 AM
on a side note, does anyone know of places to donate that will defend our rights? Ones with a track record like
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Connecticut citizen defense league
Or other places

The wife and I are setting aside a few bucks a month to donate to these groups. I would like to get a more complete list.

Thanks

Boats
12-27-2012, 11:35 AM

Gonna have to change my tune on this one...

According to Feinstein's proposed legislation (http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/assault-weapons), thumbhole stocks are indeed considered pistol grips :(

JimF4M1s
12-27-2012, 12:18 PM
Xxxxx

dw1911
12-27-2012, 11:32 PM
on a side note, does anyone know of places to donate that will defend our rights? Ones with a track record like
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Connecticut citizen defense league
Or other places

The wife and I are setting aside a few bucks a month to donate to these groups. I would like to get a more complete list.

Thanks

Virginia Citzens Defense League, www.vcdl.org
They are GREAT! I'm a Member.:D

dw1911
12-27-2012, 11:35 PM
Guys, it's gonna be a bit harder to pass an Assault Weapon Ban now because, unlike the last ban, they're staring down the barrel of DC v. Heller. Using their standard practice of 'Stare-Decisis' they'll(SCOTUS) see that these are precisely the weapons the 2nd.Amendment protects.
U.S. v. Miller will bite them square in the rump. Anybody who doubts this, read the majority opinion by Chief Justice MacRenyolds.

There won't be a Nationwide Ban. Won't make it through the House.
Likely a Tax on ammo, not sure.
When Obama "passed the buck" to Joe Biden, I knew we were safe!

Roverron
12-28-2012, 06:13 AM
Exactly my take on it. Plus Dirty Harry Reid is from a very pro gun state and he knows where his bread is buttered. It won't ever see the floor.

Riverpigusmc
12-28-2012, 12:23 PM
I have NO faith in out pro gun members of Congress. None. Zero point crap

Steve CT
12-29-2012, 09:25 PM
The Federal legislation proposal coming identifies an assault weapon by one feature as well. Again, pistol grip is all it takes. Also requiring NFA registration, including fees, and all the other BATFE crap that goes with it. Grandfathering to current owner, but no transfer or sale. Once you die, your AR is seized and scrapped.

Might not matter what state you are in, read it and weep:

http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/files/serve/?File_id=10993387-5d4d-4680-a872-ac8ca4359119

Roverron
12-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Still will not ever get out of congress. This is smoke-blowing........

SCORPIO
12-29-2012, 11:49 PM
The part about registration has me confused. How will they know if you have any firearms that need to be registered? I always thought that when a background check is run and the make, model, and serial number are recorded on the form that it was in effect a registration.
I'm sure all criminals will register their Glocks, AR's and AK's, sure they will....NOT!

All this registration crap does is allow the government to collect info on how many guns are out there, what types, who owns them and how many each person has. This is of course necessary for when they decide the new regs aren't working and decide they need to confiscate ALL guns from everyone for our own safety. And of course the bad guys will turn in all their guns too, NOT!

I'm sorry but I think we are being railroaded on this one.

dw1911
12-30-2012, 01:31 AM
The part about registration has me confused. How will they know if you have any firearms that need to be registered? I always thought that when a background check is run and the make, model, and serial number are recorded on the form that it was in effect a registration.
I'm sure all criminals will register their Glocks, AR's and AK's, sure they will....NOT!

All this registration crap does is allow the government to collect info on how many guns are out there, what types, who owns them and how many each person has. This is of course necessary for when they decide the new regs aren't working and decide they need to confiscate ALL guns from everyone for our own safety. And of course the bad guys will turn in all their guns too, NOT!

I'm sorry but I think we are being railroaded on this one.

Well, IF that stupid bill were to be passed, ( It won't) Then the registration thing WOULD be the 1st step before outright conficastion occurred. Of course, in most cases, it would have be voluntary, since "they" really don't have a way of knowing where all the guns are. In most states, you fill out a 4473, you're approved to buy the firearm, they don't know IF you actually bought it! Stay off the radar and don't panic. I am sure this will pass soon enough.
We're safe. Biden is in charge.

Guns? What guns? Sold them all at a Gun Show!

Roverron
12-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Well, IF that stupid bill were to be passed, ( It won't) Then the registration thing WOULD be the 1st step before outright conficastion occurred. Of course, in most cases, it would have be voluntary, since "they" really don't have a way of knowing where all the guns are. In most states, you fill out a 4473, you're approved to buy the firearm, they don't know IF you actually bought it! Stay off the radar and don't panic. I am sure this will pass soon enough.
We're safe. Biden is in charge.

Guns? What guns? Sold them all at a Gun Show!

As my sig line says......mine fell overboard in a boating accident!