PDA

View Full Version : How do you carry...

SCORPIO
12-26-2012, 02:24 PM
For those who carry a 1911, what method do you like best and why (IWB/OWB) etc? Also, what holster do you use for this? Lastly, do you carry 'cocked and locked' or do you thumb the hammer down and carry 'uncocked'? Or do you carry empty chamber?

I'm going to start carrying a 1911 now that winter is here, and as I've never carried one before, I thought I'd do a survey. I usually carry either a SigP250 in 9mm or 40S&W IWB or a Ruger LCP 380 in summer usually pocket carry. I'm moving to winter mode as colthing will permit good concealment for the larger platform. Since my other guns striker fired DAO I'm not used to dealing with the exposed hammer. Carrying cocked and on safe scares me a little with the light triggers on my Dan Wessons. I'm thinking about carrying a round in the chamber but thumbing down the hammer and just cocking it if I need it.

OK, lets hear your methods.
Thanks

Boats
12-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Lots has been written about in what condition to carry a 1911. Condition 1, cocked and locked, is by far the safest, and the way the weapon was designed.

I'm sure someone will point to a thread that rehashes this. It's an often asked question.

That said, I carry either a commander or officer sized pistol in 45 cal in an IWB holster, most often a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2. They are light, comfortable, and conceal extremely well. I hear very good things about the Versa Max, but don't have the patience to wait a year (possibly an exaggeration) to have one delivered.

Usually I find it reasonable to carry strong side at about 4 o'clock underneath something like a Woolrich CCW shirt untucked. It's reasonable in all but a more formal setting - jacket and tie, in which case, it's easy anyway.

Sheepdog
12-26-2012, 03:06 PM
I carry both IWB/OWB depending on weather/clothing. I prefer OWB but it is not always practical. IWB, I carry a Milt Sparks Versa Max 11 or A Lansco COTEP from Lane. OWB I wear a Milt Sparks, Axiom or a Davis leather Omega.I always, repeat always carry cocked and locked. It feels off at first and you will surely get comments from people that may see it and don't know better. I have done some research and as far as I can find, in over 100 years I could not find a documented case of an AD/ND from a properly holstered 1911 on safe. I'm not saying it couldn't have happened, I just couldn't find one. I have enough confidence in the triple redundant safety to carry it cocked and locked. I have some pretty light triggers, if they are so light that they may cause an AD/ND I would consider them nonfunctional, and not safe to carry in any condition. IMHO

sdmc530
12-26-2012, 03:07 PM
Both...in and out...in pocket with a 380 sometimes ankle.....I like IN with the officers model best...

douglas_knott
12-26-2012, 03:57 PM
I carry iwb with a Nick Matthews. I currently carry my DW Razorback 10mil. Cocked, Locked, and ready to rock doc.

NAMVET72
12-26-2012, 04:00 PM
I always carry locked and cocked, OWB with FBI cant also carry and extra 3 8 mags.

Each person has their own reasons they carry a certain way...............

Clyde

Snipersnest
12-26-2012, 04:05 PM
I carry my .45's in condition 1. I use the custom holster Lane made me, as well as my shoulder rig by Mitch Rosen. I also use a custom holster made by 5 Shot Leather for my Ultra Carry. My holsters are OWB, as I'm not comfortable wearing an IWB. I'd have to buy my trousers and belts in a larger size for the IWB.

Roverron
12-26-2012, 04:35 PM
I carry my 1911s in condition1. I rotate thru a few IWB mostly and an OWB once in a while (easier in winter to OWB). I also carry a backup sometimes on ankle carry and 1to3 mags. Once in a while I also carry SOB. but not very often.
My H&K USP I carry OWB cause its too big to stuff in my pants.

NAMVET72
12-26-2012, 07:06 PM
Alex and Mike carry like they a Gang Bangers................

Clyde

MPrimo
12-26-2012, 07:10 PM
This ...

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc122/MPrimavera/DSCN0153.jpg

Dan Wesson CCO 45 in a Milt Sparks VM2 IWB, Cocked and Locked!!!

Riverpigusmc
12-26-2012, 07:11 PM
I carry either a fullsize steel Wilson or a Kimber Tactical Pro (4") OWB in a Wilson Sharkskin Lo Profile or a custom made by our own Leatherman Cowboy. IWB usually a Wilson Summer Companion or a Wilson Featherweight. Cocked and locked is the ONLY way to carry a 1911. Light trigger has no bearing..if the thumb safety is on, it can't shoot. If the grip safety is engaged, it can't shoot. Both have to be manipulated and the trigger pulled in order for it to fire, unlike a Glock. When in a combat situation, when microseconds can count and your under an adrenaline dump, do you want to have to rack the slide? Only way you can fire it with the safeties engaged is to put a punch on the end of the firing pin and swat it with a hammer.

Steve CT
12-26-2012, 08:01 PM
If I carry a 1911, it could be either IWB or OWB, depending on how I am dressed. I rarely carry a 1911, I expect that to change some once I get my LW Commander up to speed.

I only carry a 1911 in Condition 1. I understand the reasons that some folks do not carry this way, my feeling is that if I don't trust either the gun or me to do this safely, I'm carrying the wrong gun.

23eagle
12-26-2012, 09:34 PM
I carry OWB, because I have been laid up and have gained about 80 lbs. I carry a Sig Ultra Compact or my Ruger SR1911. Just whichever I feel like. Mostly the Sig. I carry condition 1 with 2 spare mags. I could really care less if I "print". All the people around here know me and know if I have my pants on, I got a gun.

SCORPIO
12-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Thanks guys, this helps alot. I'm going to order a Milt Sparks IWB holster for my recently aquired CCO. I will carry it condition 1 as it seems to be THE way to carry. Sorry for the dumb question, just am relatively new to the 1911 platform but not to CC in general. I've carried my Sig Sauer P250s for some time now and like them, but being a double stack, its bulky and the long, heavy DAO trigger is both a blessing and a curse. It can throw off POI if you are rusty. I much prefer the trigger on my Dan Wesson 1911s to any other pistols I own.
I have some friends who won't carry a 1911 because its single stack and they want 15-17 shots. I plan to carry some extra mags but I feel that the first few rounds should be your best and most accurately placed. I don't want to be in public in a firefight spraying bullets, that could lead to bad outcomes.

Sheepdog
12-26-2012, 10:28 PM
You are right. I'd rather have a 8-10 properly placed 10mm or 45, than 15 9mm. IMHO
Lean and mean.

Grouse
12-26-2012, 10:47 PM
here is a demonstration of properly being armed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75sWALt2IzI&sns=em

ColMike
12-27-2012, 03:10 AM
I carry both IWB/OWB depending on weather/clothing. I prefer OWB but it is not always practical. IWB, I carry a Milt Sparks Versa Max 11 or A Lansco COTEP from Lane. OWB I wear a Milt Sparks, Axiom or a Davis leather Omega.I always, repeat always carry cocked and locked. It feels off at first and you will surely get comments from people that may see it and don't know better. I have done some research and as far as I can find, in over 100 years I could not find a documented case of an AD/ND from a properly holstered 1911 on safe. I'm not saying it couldn't have happened, I just couldn't find one. I have enough confidence in the triple redundant safety to carry it cocked and locked. I have some pretty light triggers, if they are so light that they may cause an AD/ND I would consider them nonfunctional, and not safe to carry in any condition. IMHO

OWB LASCO
IWB: Milt Sparks VMII or LASCO

fully loaded, cocked, on safe

Dave Waits
12-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Uh...I carry in a Holster.

RevM
12-27-2012, 03:18 PM
This ...

Since Mike posted a nice pic of his VM2 ... here's a shot of my Guardian in my Kelley Gunleather Horsehide C-Flex. Though it's not identical, Steven's acknowledged basing his C-Flex on the VM2. I've never had a VM2, but the C-Flex is a sweet carry holster and is about 2/3 the price of the VM2 and I got it in less than a month (though it looks like Steven's time to delivery has grown a bit since I got mine).

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/GuardianC-Flex.jpg

Mike45
12-27-2012, 07:49 PM
This ...

Same for me and sometimes in a MS Axiom.

bvkdphillips
12-27-2012, 08:42 PM
IWB with a Milt Sparks VMII and that hammer thingy pulled back with the safety pushed up - or was that down???? Hang on I'll go pull the trigger and see what happens. Be back shortly.

Bob

Boats
12-27-2012, 08:46 PM
IWB with a Milt Sparks VMII and that hammer thingy pulled back with the safety pushed up - or was that down???? Hang on I'll go pull the trigger and see what happens. Be back shortly.

Bob

funny funny funny

Horse'nround
12-28-2012, 11:49 PM
Commander always in .45
IWB in a Kramer
OWB in a Galco combat master, want to try a steep cant Concealable belt holster. I haven't found one to play with yet.
Also carry in a couple of different vests. I have found this to be a very comfortable option.

Oh Yeah... Hammer back and flipper up baby. Always #1 anything else is asking for trouble.

ronpaul50
12-29-2012, 12:16 AM
I have actually lost weight since I retired so I carry cocked and locked in a Kramer forward cant IWB. It is very comfortable.

DaFadda
12-29-2012, 06:33 AM
Like Primo.... This:

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g407/DaFadda/P1020639.jpg

Dan Wesson CCO, cocked and locked in a Lane Spier IWB holster. I also take advantage of a pair of PERRY brand suspenders. They are 1-1/2" wide, with plastic clips for your belt instead of alligigigator jaws. Three points of contact. Hold up my pants like nothing else I've worn. Inexpensive too. Walmart and "work clothing" stores carry them.

Forgot to add... Esmeralda slim grips on the CCO. takes about 1/4" of thickness off the handle thingy just below the power switch. OOPS! Power switch is on the other side of the gun. The Handle Thingy is right behind the bullet ejector thing in this picture.

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g407/DaFadda/P1040008.jpg

Deleted
12-29-2012, 07:45 PM

Bob

Hey has anyone heard from Bob lately?????:)

ColMike
12-29-2012, 07:52 PM

Bob
Depening on condition.... maybe not

Jdl2
01-02-2013, 05:38 AM
Condition 1 in VM2 (IWB) or 5 Shot Leather SAP (OWB). Both excellent quality and very comfortable. If I'm carrying my Sig P238 it's cocked and locked in a DeSantis Super Fly pocket holster.
Jim
Mike, love your suspenders idea. Will have to give them a try. Thx.

AutoMag
01-02-2013, 08:31 AM
I carry Condition 1 in an OWB holster by Lane with whatever I happen to carry, Compact, Mid Size or Full size!!! If a tux or suit is required I carry in a Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster!!!:)

zukinut
01-02-2013, 06:23 PM
When I carry my 1911 I go with cocked and locked in a cut down crossbreed.

TLE2
01-02-2013, 06:36 PM
Cocked and Locked, IWB