PDA

View Full Version : NY just gave away their freedom and now you're a future criminal

Roverron
01-15-2013, 08:19 AM
ALBANY, N.Y. – Days after calling for an overhaul of gun control in New York following the Connecticut school shooting, Gov. Andrew Cuomo worked out a tough proposal on gun control with legislative leaders who promised to pass the most restrictive gun law in the nation.
The measure passed the Senate 43-18 on the strength of support from Democrats, many of whom previously sponsored the bills that were once blocked by Republicans.
The Democrat-led Assembly gaveled out before midnight and planned to take the issue up at 10 a.m. Tuesday. It is expected to pass easily.
"This is a scourge on society," Cuomo said Monday night, one month after the Newtown, Conn., shooting that took the lives of 20 first graders and six educators. "At what point do you say, `No more innocent loss of life."'
"It is well-balanced, it protects the Second Amendment," said Senate Republican leader Dean Skelos of Long Island. "And there is no confiscation of weapons, which was at one time being considered.
"This is going to go after those who are bringing illegal guns into the state, who are slaughtering people in New York City," Skelos said. "This is going to put people in jail and keep people in jail who shouldn't be out on the street in the first place."
"This will be the toughest gun control package in the nation," said Sen. Jeffrey Klein, leader of the Independent Democrat Conference that shares majority control with Republican senators. "All in all, it is a comprehensive, balanced approach that will save lives," Klein said in an interview.
Cuomo said he wanted quick action to avoid a run on assault rifles and ammunition as he tries to address what he estimates is about 1 million assault rifles in New York state. He made it a centerpiece of his progressive agenda in last week's State of the State address.
Republican Sen. Greg Ball called that political opportunism in a rare criticism of the popular and powerful governor seen by his supporters as a possible candidate for president in 2016.
"We haven't saved any lives tonight, except one: the political life of a governor who wants to be president," said Ball who represents part of the Hudson Valley. "We have taken an entire category of firearms that are currently legal that are in the homes of law-abiding, tax paying citizens. ... We are now turning those law-abiding citizens into criminals."
The governor confirmed the proposal, previously worked out in closed session, called for a tougher assault weapons ban and restrictions on ammunition and the sale of guns, as well as a mandatory police registry of assault weapons, grandfathering in assault weapons already in private hands.
It would create a more powerful tool to require the reporting of mentally ill people who say they intend to use a gun illegally and would address the unsafe storage of guns, the governor confirmed.
Under current state law, assault weapons are defined by having two "military rifle" features spelled out in the law. The proposal would reduce that to one feature and include the popular pistol grip.
Private sales of assault weapons to someone other than an immediate family would be subject to a background check through a dealer. Also Internet sales of assault weapons would be banned, and failing to safely store a weapon could be subject to a misdemeanor charge.
Ammunition magazines would be restricted to seven bullets, from the current 10, and current owners of higher-capacity magazines would have a year to sell them out of state. An owner caught at home with eight or more bullets in a magazine could face a misdemeanor charge.
In another provision, a therapist who believes a mental health patient made a credible threat to use a gun illegally would be required to report the incident to a mental health director who would have to report serious threats to the state Department of Criminal Justice Services. A patient's gun could be taken from him or her.
The legislation also increases sentences for gun crimes including the shooting of a first responder that Cuomo called the "Webster provision." Last month in the western New York town of Webster, two firefighters were killed after responding to a fire set by the shooter, who eventually killed himself.
Legislators wouldn't comment on the tentative deal or the provisions discussed in closed-door conferences.
"It's a tough vote," said Senate Deputy Majority Leader Thomas Libous of Broome County. "This is a very difficult issue depending on where you live in the state. I have had thousands of emails and calls ... and I have to respect their wishes." He said many of constituents worry the bill will conflict with the Second Amendment's right to bear arms while others anguish over shootings like at Newtown, Conn., and Columbine, Colo.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/15/bill-called-toughest-gun-control-package-in-nation-passed-by-new-york-state/#ixzz2I38QCcVj

http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S2230-2013

Grouse
01-15-2013, 08:22 AM
to get a pistol permit when i was looking at moving there, One for each pistol. I would have authorized them to enter my house at any time and check the guns with no prior notice. Phuckernuts on that. draconian just hit a new level. I guess they are going after Illinois crime capital title.

Roverron
01-15-2013, 08:35 AM
It seems odd that the government of a free people would pass secret legislation in the dark of the night.
But then, New Yorkers are not a free people.
And Andrew Cuomo is not a democrat.
He is a monarchist.
And by noon today, a secret, un-debated effort to criminalize tens of thousands of law-abiding, tax-paying New Yorkers will be in place. In the interest of his presidential ambitions and in the name of public safety, Andrew Cuomo and the coven of servile evildoers that is the state legislature have castrated the Second Amendment and enslaved the people.
Cuomo’s bid to out Hitler Obama has worked.
The people are measurably disarmed.
What George the Third could not achieve, Mario the Second has.
With no public notification or discussion, with all details of the legislation held completely secret, Andrew Cuomo has outlawed an entire class of firearms – casting a very large net over hundreds of guns he calls assault rifles.
Any firearm with a flash suppressor or a pistol grip or a collapsible stock or a flashlight mount or, in many cases, a detachable magazine, is rechristened an assault rifle and, by noon today, will be illegal to purchase in the Archduchy of New York. Those who already own such beastly devices will be required to register them with the state and may never transfer them to anyone except the state.
You can’t sell them, you can’t give them away, you can’t leave them to your kids in your will. The right to own them dies with you.
The biggest selling American rifle of the last eight years is now illegal in Cuomo’s New York. Millions of Americans own them, tens of thousands of them are manufactured annually in the state of New York, but New Yorkers are not free enough to own them.
Because the government knows best.
Even more nefarious is the magazine capacity limit, which says, one year from this date, no New Yorker can own a magazine that holds more than seven bullets. Unrealized by most is the fact that many common rifles and handguns don’t come with magazines holding fewer than 10 bullets.
Millions of American .22 rifles – the traditional firearms of children – have magazines holding 10, 14 or 18 rounds.
Grandpa’s M1 Garand, the one he used to free Europe, comes with an 8-round clip that, after 60 years of sitting in the closet, just became contraband. Ditto for home-defense shotguns, which come standard with 8-round magazines.
And the handgun of the age – the Glock – doesn’t make, for most of its firearms, magazines holding fewer than 10 rounds.
What that means is that you will able to own the gun, but not the magazine that allows it to function. You can own the gun, but you can’t make it shoot.
Details of the magazine ban are unknown, as is every part of this legislation. As this day dawns, the bill has been passed by the Vichy French of the state Senate, but its contents and text have not been made public.
That’s how the “land of the free” operates these days – at least as governed by the Emperor Cuomo.
But one of the whispered aspects of the bill is, in addition to a limit on the number of rounds in a magazine, a limit on the number of magazines a person could own – specifically, two. Whether that is two per gun, or two per gun owner, the overseer hasn’t yet found time to communicate to the field slaves.
That means that when the home invasion hits your house, the handgun you rely on to protect your family, the one designed to hold 17 rounds per magazine, will fire just 14 times, if you stop to change clips while they’re raping your wife.
If not, you better hope you never come up against more than seven rounds of trouble.
Because young Andy has decided, as the Dauphin of Albany, that you can fight for your life with seven rounds, but not eight. The criminals, whose guns and magazines are all illegal anyway, can come high capacity, but you, you are going to run out of ammo right about the time the bad guy pushes his muzzle up against your forehead.
You will be a martyr to his presidential ambitions.
And if you aren’t, your freedom certainly will be.
As New Yorkers learned last night, nothing stops Reichsleiter Cuomo.
Also rumored to be in the legislation is a provision calling for the re-issuance – and periodic re-issuance – of all pistol permits in the state. Those permits will be reissued under new statewide guidelines not yet promulgated by His Eminence the Governor.
What’s that mean?
That means that people who have lawfully owned handguns in New York must all now come hat in hand and bow before the sharia of the Hudson. If you don’t meet Cuomo’s standards, you lose your permit and you lose your guns.
All that’s been said on that count is that permits must now be issued under a uniform statewide standard.
That raises the question of whose standard will become statewide?
Will it be the standard of Wayne County, where concealed-carry permits take about a month to process?
Or will it be the standard of Monroe County where those same permits take as long as a year and a half to come through? Or will it be Onondaga County where you wait a year and are uniformly denied the right to carry the gun for self-defense?
Or will the new New York State standard be the standard of New York County, where no permits are issued to the general public whatsoever?
Those questions are unanswered.
Also unanswered is when the lieutenant governor – so important to the function of the state that he lives five hours away – will turn in his high-capacity magazines. A former police officer, he was known for years to carry a personal Beretta with a double stack that his political patron just made a felony.
Speaking of police officers, this law just castrated their guns, too. On duty, they can carry the high-capacity magazines all modern guns were designed to hold. Off duty, they join the citizenry in the under-gunned category. Ditto for the day they retire.
This makes it a lot easier for the bad guys. When you’re attacking an armed citizen, just count to seven, and then you’ve got him.
But this isn’t about guns, it’s about freedom.
And last night in New York it took a staggering blow. Not just in the loss of Second Amendment rights, and a contemptuous governor who vilifies any who complain about his legislation, but in a process that bastardized representative government.
When you pass secret legislation in the dark of the night, you are not doing the people’s business, you are giving the people the business.
Right up their back end.
The concept of representative government died in New York last night, so that the governor could advance his personal ambitions.
On July 26, 1788, New York became the eleventh state to ratify the Constitution. On January 14, 2013, New York became the first state to disavow it.
So let it be written, so let it be done.

Read more: http://www.wham1180.com/pages/boblonsberry.html?article=10699313#ixzz2I3NktmCe

ronpaul50
01-15-2013, 10:14 AM
Politicians can't balance a budget or reduce spending but can pass gun control measures over night without public debate. NOT unbelievable. http://www.cotep.org/forum/images/smilies/New/bs.gif

ronpaul50
01-15-2013, 10:15 AM
Oh BTW all my guns fell in the lake.

Boats
01-15-2013, 10:19 AM
This is a sad day for the American people.

I don't know what else to say.

Tom

SCORPIO
01-15-2013, 11:41 AM
Dan Wesson is in New York, will they still be allowed to manufacture 1911's? Most full size ones have 8 round mags. Even a 7 round mag will still permit an 8th in the chamber.
I certainly hope the NRA challenges this in the state supreme court and beyond.

Dave Waits
01-15-2013, 12:42 PM
I will try to sugar-coat my OPINION here as much as possible. Mario Cuomo is a sorry, Anti-American, Lily-livered, excuse for a carbon-based lifeform who wants to be a King. I've seen used Douchebags with more intrinsic value. You can bet even money that this asshats' guards don't have to follow these edicts( I won't dignify his vomit by calling it a law) because, like every other cowardly, milquetoast, POS that claims to love America, he will hide behind their protection while those he claims to care about are without any protection from his spawn.

You are all about to see New Yorks' crime-rate skyrocket as this Blight on Freedoms' Backside just became the criminal element's lead enabler.

Boats
01-15-2013, 12:47 PM
I will try to sugar-coat my OPINION here as much as possible. Mario Cuomo is a sorry, Anti-American, Lily-livered, excuse for a carbon-based lifeform who wants to be a King. I've seen used Douchebags with more intrinsic value. You can bet even money that this asshats' guards don't have to follow these edicts( I won't dignify his vomit by calling it a law) because, like every other cowardly, milquetoast, POS that claims to love America, he will hide behind their protection while those he claims to care about are without any protection from his spawn.

You are all about to see New Yorks' crime-rate skyrocket as this Blight on Freedoms' Backside just became the criminal element's lead enabler.

Come on Dave, tell us what you really think. :rolleyes:

Tom

douglas_knott
01-15-2013, 01:51 PM
I feel that someone needs to clean house with the US government. We need to wipe most of them out and start over. Eff them all.

Roverron
01-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Dan Wesson is in New York, will they still be allowed to manufacture 1911's? Most full size ones have 8 round mags. Even a 7 round mag will still permit an 8th in the chamber.
I certainly hope the NRA challenges this in the state supreme court and beyond.

This is a list of Gun Mfg located in NY. You think if they stopped selling to LEO's there, it would have an impact?

Glock
KIMBER
Dan Wesson (although CZ isn't in NY)
Smith & Wesson
LMT
Noveske
Leupold
Aimpoint
SWFA
Bravo
Brownells
Aim Surplus
Magpul
SKD
Troy Ind.
DSArms

there, I added Kimber, sorry 'bout that.

Riverpigusmc
01-18-2013, 01:42 PM
You forgot Kimber...Yonkers :p

Yeah I said it :D