PDA

View Full Version : The Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show: $44mil. Lost

Roverron
01-24-2013, 03:14 PM
The Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show was expected to bring $44 million in direct spending to the region, according to the Hershey Harrisburg Regional Visitors Bureau.

Now that the show has been postponed -- with no reschedule date set, and none imminent -- many hotels and restaurants could be in for a difficult winter.

With this year's show cancelled, the region stands to lose $44 million in direct spending.

"This is a hard time of the year to fill hotels," said Rick Dunlap, a spokesman for the bureau. "A lot of these hoteliers relied on this show to make their budget for the early part of the year."

The $44 million in direct spending the bureau projects does not include secondary expenses that also bring money to the region, like sales at gas stations or for supplies.

The show, billed as the largest outdoor sports show in the state, was to have more than 1,400 vendors. Many of those vendors traveled from out of the area and would have needed hotel rooms for the show's week-long run.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2013/01/eastern_sports_and_outdoor_sho_3.html
- - - - - - - - - - -
Stupid people trying to ban those bad black rifles! At least this failed because the manufacturers stood up and said the 2nd Amendment shall not be infringed! That's what happens when ideology tries to trump 2nd amendment rights, and kowtoeing to the enemy.
Hate to say it, but they deserve it. Thanks for their support!
There's a growing awakening about what's being attempted by BHO and congress and NY! They will listen to us one way or the other.

SCORPIO
01-24-2013, 06:30 PM
I live in the Harrisburg area and the local business are quite upset. I think when Cabellas pulled their sponsorship that was what finally killed it. There are over 200 vendors boycotting due to the 'black gun' prohibition and Cabellas made a stand that no 'black guns' no deal.
While I feel sorry for the businesses and the other vendors who will loose money, I'm glad that the pro gun groups can show that they aren't going to put up with this crap.

Boats
01-24-2013, 06:38 PM
Reed Exhibitions, the morons running this show, is a British company.

They can all get bent.

Tom

Sheepdog
01-24-2013, 07:16 PM
Reed also manages Shot Show. NSSF is said to be exploring all possibilities in regard to management of the Shot Show.

Isn't PA a blue state? My heart bleeds. Perhaps these people losing money will think twice next time.

http://www.nssfblog.com/nssf-statement-on-the-eastern-sports-and-outdoor-show/

NAMVET72
01-24-2013, 07:19 PM
It is alright, Harrisburg should Ban them from having a Gun Show There..........................

Clyde

Riverpigusmc
01-24-2013, 07:21 PM
I lived in Texas when the Dixie Chicks stuck their head in their..um..foot in their mouths. I got kicked off their website for stating Natalie Maines got cheated on the cover of Time because they airbrushed off half of her fat a**.
Stupid decisions have economic consequences

Roverron
01-24-2013, 07:30 PM
I lived in Texas when the Dixie Chicks stuck their head in their..um..foot in their mouths. I got kicked off their website for stating Natalie Maines got cheated on the cover of Time because they airbrushed off half of her fat a**.
Stupid decisions have economic consequences
Butt you were telling the truth!

SCORPIO
01-24-2013, 07:31 PM
If Reeds runs the SHOT show, aren't there "Modern Sporting Rifles" on exhibit there?
I also find it funny that there are some gun shows scheduled for the same building as the ESOS. I know there will be 'black guns' at those shows.
I feel sorrry for the exhibitors who don't have anything to do with guns. Some folks I know run charter fishing businesses on the Eastern Shore of MD and they get a lot of business from this show, its going to hurt them. But I also understand the feelings of businesses that were being told 'hey, you can't sell your product at the show this year'.

Roverron
01-24-2013, 08:29 PM
The office of Harrisburg Mayor Linda Thompson described as "unfortunate" the news that the Eastern Sports and Outdoors Show, scheduled for Feb. 2 at the Farm Show complex, would be postponed to an undetermined date.

The postponement came after hundreds of vendors decided to boycott the show in response to a decision by organizer Reed Exhibitions to ban assault-style weapons and ammunition from the show.

The mayor's office issued this statement:

"It is unfortunate that Reed Exhibitions of Norwalk, Conn. has made the business decision to postpone the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show scheduled for the City of Harrisburg in February.

"It is also unfortunate that legal gun owners and the many families who have enjoyed a long tradition of hunting in the beautiful rural environment around the region will be deprived of this major event because of a controversy caused by firearms manufacturers who profit from the sale of weapons designed for the mass killing of human beings.

"Many regional arms and outdoor vendors and related services have been hurt by the postponement as well. This kind of conflict within the firearms community is the result of years of polarization between the majority American sportsmen and hunters who exercise their constitutional right to bear arms and at the same time favor reasonable illegal gun controls, and a minority of NRA members who refuse to recognize the very real problem of illegal military style weaponry and the mass havoc such weapons facilitate."

----------------------------------------

Stupid heafer, another libterd that doesn't get it! Eff her!

SCORPIO
01-24-2013, 09:15 PM
Mayor Thompson is a twitt, she twice referenced ILLEGAL military style weaponry, UM, Linda, they aren't Illegal, yet anyway.

This debacle was caused by a show promoter that unilaterally decided to exclude a large and profitable sector of the LEGAL firearms market from its show. Many of the boycotting vendors were directly affected as they wern't allowed to sell their products.
Its unlikely that it will be rescheduled as some time in June (I think) is the earliest opeinig the Farm Show Complex has for this show. By then most outfitters will be busy in the field, and show attendance would be very low as well.
What I find hypocritical in Thompson's statement is the fact that the Farm Show Complex is host to about three LARGE guns shows per year and they most certainly have A LOT of 'modern sporting rifles' for sale there. I attended two such shows there last fall. She never mentioned being upset about the presence of the guns then.
Harrisburg is in terrible financial condition and this certainly won't help their bottom line either.

Dred
01-24-2013, 10:03 PM
This was fabulous news. Fact is the vendors that pulled were not making $ales focussed decisions. If you look at the list, it is clear that this is about defense of 2A. Many of those that pulled aren't even in the firearms business and would not have been impacted directly 'cept for the picket lines they were going to have to cross to get in.