PDA

View Full Version : Another one gone.

Grouse
01-27-2013, 03:02 PM
http://www.rogueriverpress.com/obituaries.php

I was 19 coming off a bout of walking pneumonia, weighing a scant 145lbs from a fit muscled 210. I had taken an offer from my future father in law to meet with Oregon’s longest running female police Chief Katie Holmboe. Her husband was Chuck. I started out as an explorer scout and made my way to an officer a few years later. Much of my success I owe to Chuck’s encouragement. Polite, firm, and filled with the wisdom of, well to use his own words, “A talking from a cantankerous son of a bitch.”

Over those few years Chuck and Katie mentored me from an unfocused young man to a man with drive and vision of what I wanted to do. Chuck taught me how to shoot, how to arrest, how to scan a room, how to talk to people who were bigger, faster and stronger than me. Katie taught me when to shoot, where to shoot, who to talk to, and when to talk to them. The pair encouraged me to become thinking, reasoning man.

Chucks guidance is something I have appreciated over these last 18 years. I hear his calm voice, his guiding words when I am stressed and wish to calm myself. I now give the same speeches of civil responsibility to a generation that will not know such a man as Chuck. I give as nearly as I can the same lessons he gave me about life, love, art, philosophy and responsibility. From our talks of what makes a Moral man, to what a man should do in a situation of morals. Not many I think ever had such conversations with him. He responded willingly and patiently to my questions over those years. I do my best these days to see that his insight is passed on.

As the years went by, I realized I wanted a different life than being a police officer. Oh don’t get me wrong I loved it, yet I had an opportunity to see the world, to live in so many places. My now wife and I enjoy the freedom. I think Chuck saw that in me from day one. He knew I wanted so much more than just being a “law man.” I think he took the extra time to teach me how to be what he was, “ a cantankerous son a bitch”. I am a brusque man, with my opinions and beliefs and as I raise my two kids I see much of his guidance in that. As I mentor other young men who are looking to grow, I think of him.

Chuck, I am sorry I could not be there to say good bye. Know this my friend I will continue on.

~Aaron
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/32184_398872020203113_1388567402_n.jpg

Boats
01-27-2013, 03:19 PM
Aaron,

He lives on in you and others that he has taught. Who live by his lessons and add to them, and teach them to another generation.

I can't imaging a better legacy.

RIP.

Tom

NAMVET72
01-27-2013, 05:47 PM
Aaron may he RIP and He is Now Your Guardian Angel,

Clyde

Grouse
01-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Aaron may he RIP and He is Now Your Guardian Angel,

Clyde

that explains why my ass has been sore all day. the Jerk has been kicking it.

Riverpigusmc
01-27-2013, 06:56 PM
Sorry for your loss, Aaron..prayers to his family

zukinut
01-27-2013, 07:50 PM
may he rest in peace and always be in thoughts. Will be sending prayers for you family and his...

skosh69
01-27-2013, 08:16 PM
Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.