PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought

Riverpigusmc
02-03-2013, 01:54 PM
I read on FCC that news companies are trolling forums, finding copyrighted material, then suing the forum owner for publishing it. Seems the only safe way to keep this for happening is by posting only the link..but I'm just a grunt..what do I know. I'll do my part to keep our Fearless Leader's happy a** outta trouble. Perhaps the mods should address this

Grouse
02-03-2013, 02:05 PM
that has happened off and on for a few years. Mostly the threat of a lawsuit.

There was some discussion on it via another forum i used to frequent last year. We did a bunch of research and really could not find a case where they have succeeded. Long of it is, try and be sure to give correct attribution to the writer, and a link to the paper, blog, ect you found it from.

DrHenley
02-03-2013, 02:34 PM
"Fair Use" is fine

As long as:

You are advancing knowledge
You aren't just trying to make a profit on it
You aren't diminishing the value of the original
You are only using enough of the original work to make a point. In other words, if you quote an entire article as if it is your own work, with no comments and no attribution, that's definitely not fair use.

The last one is probably where sites get sued. If you are going to quote an article, make it clear that you are quoting something and give the source. And don't quote the whole thing - unless the original is no longer available.

If an article is no longer available, then quoting the entire article can be considered fair use because it serves the purpose of advancing knowledge.

sdmc530
02-03-2013, 04:57 PM
I have never heard of this. If I take a news story that I read online i always post the link...So I guess I am coverd....people will do anything for money I guess..