PDA

View Full Version : +P Ammo

Jubz
03-13-2013, 01:37 AM
New to 1991's and just got a CBOB.
Can the CBOB take .45 ACP +P rounds?

If so, your opinions with +P rounds for concealed carry use?

Thanks

sdmc530
03-13-2013, 06:28 AM
I don't use it. I like hornady defense loads are some loads I make myself but the +P stuff is just not for me. I am sure its good though. I think a FMJ will do enough hurt so I don't put much stock in the power plus stuff.

FWIW: the SDHP uses Golden Saber for duty ammo

Roverron
03-13-2013, 06:34 AM
Before you shoot +P, I'd check with the gun builder. Most are not rated for +P loads. My H&K USP is rated for a hot load but my NH is not nor are the RIA's and a Wilson I have.

Grouse
03-13-2013, 08:28 AM
+P and +P+ came into play when bullets needed a certain speed to achieve reliable expansion. That speed was gained via the +P, +p+. It was sold to the public. Many modern bullet designs in the last 10 years have no need for the extra speed. They open reliably at lower speeds. +p and +p+ are notorious for causing increased and accelerated wear on pistols. even those rated for their use.

Do a bit of research into the bullet design and buy a modern HP bullet and figure at its worst it is a fmj, so train for accurate small group shot placements. If you can do that you will be set.

FWIW i do not carry +p, +p+ since the late 90's. I simply do not see any reason to.

Boats
03-13-2013, 08:36 AM
I'm kind of with Grouse and the others.

I actually do have a few boxes of +P but I don't find them useful and would rather not shoot my pistols too much with the increased load.

Take a look at the plethora of modern self defense ammo out there, and especially look at terminal ballistics and expansion.

I'm sure you'll find something that you like, that is affordable, and that is easier on your pistol.

Tom

Roverron
03-13-2013, 09:48 AM
I'm kind of with Grouse and the others.

I actually do have a few boxes of +P but I don't find them useful and would rather not shoot my pistols too much with the increased load.

Take a look at the plethora of modern self defense ammo out there, and especially look at terminal ballistics and expansion.

I'm sure you'll find something that you like, that is affordable, and that is easier on your pistol.

Tom

What Tom Said. . . . . .:cool:

AutoMag
03-13-2013, 10:11 AM
Jubz, most newer 1911 pistols are rated for +P ammo but the added wear and tear on the firearm not to mention the added cost of the rounds is not worth the trouble.

Sheepdog
03-13-2013, 06:47 PM
I don't bother with the +P's. I so use HP's for carry.

AutoMag
03-13-2013, 07:36 PM
I use 230 grain FMJ ammo for carry and range use!!!

If needed it will do the job, it did for our troops in time of war!!!

Riverpigusmc
03-13-2013, 08:38 PM
I carry Wilson Combats 230 grain +P with the Barnes bullet..50% less smoke and muzzle flash than a standard round. But I don't shoot it at the range other than to check POI. It's my "I hate you, get away from me" load.

Jubz
03-14-2013, 12:41 AM
Thanks all for the f/b. I'll just stick with my current carry rounds of PDX1 bonded HP's in .45. Sounds like the extra wear with +P isn't really worth. Plus, the vast majority of scenarios I get into that may need me to stop an imminent threat will be within 5 yards; a double tap of anything .45 should do the trick.

Grouse
03-14-2013, 06:41 AM
just to be clear, you shoot till the threat stops. completely. that is either it is on the ground not moving or it stops the attack and moves back.

that can be 1 shot, or 20. do not rely on a preconceived number of shots. There are far to many cases where people have been shot more than twice and did not stop the attack.

look at the georgia mom who shot the attacker 5 times in the face and neck with a 38.