PDA

View Full Version : Women on Target - OKC Event 2013

Roverron
09-19-2013, 05:56 AM
So, my wife is in this group........I was at football game

http://www.nrablog.com/image.axd?picture=2013%2f9%2f2012_nra_women_on_tar get_oklahoma_city_gun_club.jpg

Nearly 600 women expected to learn shooting basics in NRA Women On Target clinic

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma – For the past eight years the Oklahoma City Gun Club's annual Women On Target Instructional Shooting Clinic has been the largest in the United States. Tomorrow, September 7, the club hosts its fourteenth annual clinic and extend their reign at the top to nine years. Held just outside the city in Arcadia, OK, club president Suzi Rouse expects nearly 600 women to come out and learn marksmanship skills through hands-on instruction by more than 100 volunteers. The event has been sold out since the spring and has, unfortunately, had to turn away hundreds more interested women.

In addition to learning shooting basics on a variety of pistols, rifles and shotguns, the OKC Gun Club's clinic will instruct participants on safe firearm handling and proper firearms storage techniques. All firearms and ammunition will be provided by generous sponsors like the NRA Foundation, Benelli, DPMS Panther Arms, Glock, and Smith & Wesson.

Women On Target, which was developed by the National Rifle Association in 1999, mentors women new to recreational shooting and hunting sports in a safe and friendly environment with like-minded females. Since its inception, the program has introduced nearly 80,000 women to the shooting sports. Each year, more than 200 clinics are held throughout the United States and teach thousands of women about the fun they can have with firearms.

“Since Women On Target’s formation, the Oklahoma City Gun Club has been an integral partner in introducing women to the safe and proper handling of firearms,” said Diane Danielson, Women On Target Instructional Clinic Coordinator. “Their clinic’s volunteers have taught beginning marksmanship skills to more than 2,000 women and the dedication and patience they display has helped the clinic remain the country’s largest for the past nine years.”

http://www.nrablog.com/post/2013/09/06/Oklahoma-City-home-to-largest-Women-On-Target-clinic-of-the-year.aspx

skosh69
09-19-2013, 03:01 PM
My wife and neighbor took that course last year...they only had about a dozen women show up.

They shot a variety of .22 pistols. This year they are offering a class but with larger calibers, 9mm to 45 ACP.

ronpaul50
09-19-2013, 06:36 PM
That's a great program. How did your wife like it?

Roverron
09-19-2013, 07:08 PM
She loved it. She shoots with me but this was all women so she said it was a lot of fun. I'm betting she'll be there again next year!

Snipersnest
09-21-2013, 07:47 AM
We're doing a Women on Target in May 2014.

Roverron
09-21-2013, 07:55 AM
Im glad they're doing these. My wifey has shot all my guns except the Coonan and that was because she couldn't grip the darn thing. She now wants her own AR, so im thinking about building her one in a pistol caliber...maybe a 9mm. She has taken over my .410 Saiga shotgun and has a couple of pistols.

Roverron
09-21-2013, 08:01 AM
Im glad they're doing these. My wifey has shot all my guns except the Coonan and that was because she couldn't grip the darn thing. She now wants her own AR, so im thinking about building her one in a pistol caliber...maybe a 9mm. She has taken over my .410 shotgun and has a couple of pistols.