PDA

View Full Version : Training

rockinit
02-16-2014, 12:10 AM
I want to really get serious about formal training after Boy Child arrives. I'm looking online at local ranges and classes offered near me so I can start saving the money and ammo to hopefully get a couple of classes under my belt before the year is out. I'm not really impressed with what I've found local to me (within an hour drive). I don't see many places offering more than basic pistol. I'm already comfortable with the things advertised as covered in the basic pistol course, but I plan to start there because it seems like square one? I do want to look at classes beyond that as well though and I'm just not seeing a whole lot. I know I will probably need to broaden the area I'm looking in. I did want to run this one place by you guys though and get your opinions on it.

https://northwestfloridafirearmstraining.com/

The classroom portions are in Milton, Fl (20 minutes west of me) and the range is in Cantonment (40 minutes west of me). Some of their courses look like they would make for a really interesting place for me to start. The range is the Escambia River Gun Club. ERGC looks like they have a lot to offer too. They seem to do a ccw class, but also have an IDPA chapter as well as a Gun Goddesses group. The name of the second does nothing for me, but both chapters/groups look interesting.

I hope to go check both the training place and the gun club out when I can. Just figured I would check here to see if any of you knew anything about either of these places before I did. I want to make sure the training place looks legit to more experienced eyes and not just a money grabbing gimmick.

Thanks in advance.

Deleted
02-16-2014, 12:42 AM
Training is a must in my book, Some people believe it is as simple as buying a gun a holster and strapping it on. Training will give you the tools to carry and know what to do in certain situations. Being aware of your surroundings at all times is key to staying safe.

IDPA matches will help hone your skills as far as how to shoot from cover and how to shoot in a tactical sequence (threats close to furthest), I've been shooting IDPA for a couple of years now and it's a blast.

Training is costly but can you put a value on your and your families lives?

Sheepdog
02-16-2014, 12:46 AM
You are on the right track. If a range has enough interest that they are holding IDPA shoots, and have a women's group that sounds like a good place to start. You may want to go to an IDPA or USPSA shoot in the area. Most are usually helpful and supportive of new shooters. You need to get some references on trainers. BEWARE of know it alls, you can get allot of advice not all of it helpful.

I agree with USPSA Shooter. Trai ning! Trai ning! Trai ning! I try to take a class every 3 to 6 months. How do you get to Carnegie Hall, Practice, Practice, Practice. One of the most humbling things that i have ever experienced was my first day at Gunsite. I thought I knew what I was doing, I was WRONG.

Xbonz
02-16-2014, 08:38 AM
Look here:

http://www.pdi-2a.com/index.html

BlackKnight
02-16-2014, 11:57 AM
I moderate a martial arts forums where it has a section on modern weapons, i.e. firearms. You'd be surprised how many get on there and will tout the importance of quality instruction in the martial arts, but when it comes to the importance of getting quality instruction in the art of the gun they pretty much ignore it and think it's a matter of strapping on a gun and a holster or shooting at paper targets.

You're on the right track. Good for you.

TLE2
02-16-2014, 01:40 PM
Join an active gun club. Until I moved, I was a member of PCS in Friendswood, Texas. Since it was a bit hard to join, you met the nicest, most gun savvy people. It also helped that the club was committed to building a world class facility. I think they already were.

zukinut
02-16-2014, 02:28 PM
Look here:

http://www.pdi-2a.com/index.html

I concur as well.

One thing about the games. They are just games. I did some training courses and the went to see what idpa was like. When I read the rule sheet and watched them shoot I decided it wasn't for me. I didn't want to make bad habits form after the training I received.

Sheepdog
02-16-2014, 03:14 PM
Don't get me wrong I prefer USPSA!!!! Lets you figure out the problems. I can't stand the rule book! Reload here, not there, don't take a step. NO RULES IN A GUNFIGHT!

The problem is it is not always available. I have to travel over 100 miles to shoot USPSA and Steel.(60for idpa)

Deleted
02-16-2014, 03:42 PM
Don't get me wrong I prefer USPSA!!!! Lets you figure out the problems. I can't stand the rule book! Reload here, not there, don't take a step. NO RULES IN A GUNFIGHT!

The problem is it is not always available. I have to travel over 100 miles to shoot USPSA and Steel.(60for idpa)

There are a lot more rules in IDPA, But those rules are put in place to better prepare you in the event you do get into a gun battle.

Shooting and reloading from cover. Smart
Never move from one shooting position to another with a empty gun. Smart

USPSA is fun but if you just want to throw a bunch of lead down range go for it.

Lonestar grips.
02-16-2014, 04:01 PM

where are you shooting uspsa and idpa?

Feathermerchant
02-16-2014, 04:03 PM
You are on the right track. If a range has enough interest that they are holding IDPA shoots, and have a women's group that sounds like a good place to start. You may want to go to an IDPA or USPSA shoot in the area. Most are usually helpful and supportive of new shooters. You need to get some references on trainers. BEWARE of know it alls, you can get allot of advice not all of it helpful.

I agree with USPSA Shooter. Trai ning! Trai ning! Trai ning! I try to take a class every 3 to 6 months. How do you get to Carnegie Hall, Practice, Practice, Practice. One of the most humbling things that i have ever experienced was my first day at Gunsite. I thought I knew what I was doing, I was WRONG.

Everything that Scott has said I totally support. From ranges supporting women in shooting, to competitions and caution against the know it all's. I would advise looking into your instructors train-ing locations and schools, and frequency of that training. I sincerely hope you can attend a firearms train-ing academy for a week. You will be pushed far beyond your expectations and perceived limits. It will be an experience you will NEVER forget, and will want to return to.
DVC,
Mary

milkmanjoe
02-16-2014, 04:15 PM
My .02 cents? Glad you asked!

I only take quick kill or combat training. I have never shot any Saturday IDPA or USPC, just not my thing.

But once you find an instructor you think you like, do a thorough look/see at them anywhere you can find information. Most instructors have all kinds of people commenting about courses they have taken with that instructor, in forums or blogs. Look for what people liked, or shortfalls they have mentioned.
I do like weekend events, gives me some time for socializing with classmates as I am pretty quiet/concentrated while training.

I also like to keep notes during training so I can practice weeks after class is over. Notes help me remember little "tricks" mentioned by the instructor, or other students, as well as the techiques taught for the weekend as a whole.

I have noticed more and more outdoor ranges offering training from people advertised as "highly qualified" in some shape or form. Might be a place to find a good trainer.

zukinut
02-16-2014, 10:35 PM
There are a lot more rules in IDPA, But those rules are put in place to better prepare you in the event you do get into a gun battle.

Shooting and reloading from cover. Smart
Never move from one shooting position to another with a empty gun. Smart

USPSA is fun but if you just want to throw a bunch of lead down range go for it.

I have done a bunch of real world "situations", spent many a dollar on training with very well know instructors that a few on this forum can vouch for.

"If you’re in a gunfight:

- If you’re not shooting, you should be loading.

- If you’re not loading, you should be moving.

- If you’re not moving, you’re dead."

Even if your reloading you should be moving!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BlackKnight
02-16-2014, 10:47 PM
I have done a bunch of real world "situations", spent many a dollar on training with very well know instructors that a few on this forum can vouch for.

So have I and the one thing I took out of it and stand by is that there are no absolutes.

rockinit
02-18-2014, 10:00 AM
Thanks all. I really appreciate the replies. Have plenty of time to keep looking and I plan to do some asking around at some of the gun shops here.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

BlackKnight
02-18-2014, 10:28 AM
Too bad many of you are too far because one of the things I offer to share are some of the things I learned through the years in all the different tactical schools I've attended. Free!

DrHenley
02-18-2014, 05:05 PM
IDPA: shoot from cover or while retreating
USPSA: stand and shoot in the open

IDPA: Most stages are "Vickers Count" which means you shoot until the targets are neutralized, however many shots it takes. Only the hits are scored, or lack thereof.
USPSA: You are penalized for missed shots.

IDPA: Failure to neutralize any target is a 5 second penalty when on a Vickers Count stage.
USPSA: It can be advantageous to skip a target

IDPA: draw from concealment from a close fitting holster
USPSA: draw from a speed holster

IDPA: no lightened slides, no compensators, no optics allowed
USPSA: lightened slides, compensators, optics allowed.

Deleted
02-18-2014, 05:44 PM

Very much DISAGREE with your statement.

GD2A
02-18-2014, 05:56 PM
Very much DISAGREE with your statement.

Why do you disagree? I've only started taking classes in the past six months but that's what I've learned and it makes sense. I'm not challenging you - just asking questions to learn.

Deleted
02-18-2014, 06:17 PM
Why do you disagree? I've only started taking classes in the past six months but that's what I've learned and it makes sense. I'm not challenging you - just asking questions to learn.

Yes you should move but you really don't need to be moving with a unloaded gun. To many things to go wrong while moving, dropping a mag to be the biggest. Unless you are in a place you know very well you could be running to a one way in one way out situation.

My earlier post was not to compare IDPA to training, but to let the OP how IDPA works.

There are times to sit still and times to move, You just have to make the right choice.

But then again there are some here that know more then me.....or they think that anyway.

Most get training from someone who has never been in a gun fight, Can they train you for one? Not really.

skosh69
02-18-2014, 06:46 PM
train-ing? Did someone say train-ing??? I don't need no stinking train-ing!!!

I've played countless hours of COD Black Ops and the Battlefield series of video games....I'm good to go!

Now, that I'm done making everyone smile, can we get back to the topic and stop fighting with each other?

Oh, I was only kidding about the video games. If I ever get the chance to carry legally, I will look into training.

milkmanjoe
02-18-2014, 09:00 PM
Yes you should move but you really don't need to be moving with a unloaded gun. To many things to go wrong while moving, dropping a mag to be the biggest. Unless you are in a place you know very well you could be running to a one way in one way out situation.

My earlier post was not to compare IDPA to training, but to let the OP how IDPA works.

There are times to sit still and times to move, You just have to make the right choice.

But then again there are some here that know more then me.....or they think that anyway.

Most get training from someone who has never been in a gun fight, Can they train you for one? Not really.

Hmmmm, while both of my instructors have been in multiple gunfights in their work life, and both have been shot and lived to tell, I wouldn't discount any trainer based on his lack of gunfight experience. Probably thousands of trainers who offer great insight, very few been shot at. Probably plenty of trainers who have been shot at and cannot convey a message of life or death situations worth their weight in copper.
I will say that I have been lucky in finding my instructors. I can only imagine the frustration of people looking for someone they can trust.

Deleted
02-18-2014, 09:28 PM
Hmmmm, while both of my instructors have been in multiple gunfights in their work life, and both have been shot and lived to tell, I wouldn't discount any trainer based on his lack of gunfight experience. Probably thousands of trainers who offer great insight, very few been shot at. Probably plenty of trainers who have been shot at and cannot convey a message of life or death situations worth their weight in copper.
I will say that I have been lucky in finding my instructors. I can only imagine the frustration of people looking for someone they can trust.

I got lucky and train with 2 SF guys with multiple deployments and god only knows how many firefights, their training fits me nicely, High stress situations while shooting from multiply positions and distances. Matter of fact in two weeks will go to another class with them, Low light AR/Pistol course.

Sheepdog
02-18-2014, 09:50 PM
Trai ning, practice, competition (SaturdayGames) are all helpful. Putting rounds down range from a holster, dry fire, instruction all help you develop trigger control, draw, tactics, sight picture muscle memory and overall familiarity with you gun. Games are games. Pick one (or all) you enjoy shooting.(three gun). The one thing I would suggest is that whenever you are at the range shooting, be working on something, don't just go blasting rounds down rage, have a plan. You don't want to practice doing it wrong.

To OP when I suggested you go to a USPSA or IDPA match, I did not mean you had to shoot it. That is just a good place to find people that are shooters. A good place to get advice. (Not always good advice and lots of opinions)

Deleted
02-18-2014, 09:59 PM
Trai ning, practice, competition (SaturdayGames) are all helpful. Putting rounds down range from a holster, dry fire, instruction all help you develop trigger control, draw, tactics, sight picture muscle memory and overall familiarity with you gun. Games are games. Pick one (or all) you enjoy shooting.(three gun). The one thing I would suggest is that whenever you are at the range shooting, be working on something, don't just go blasting rounds down rage, have a plan. You don't want to practice doing it wrong.

To OP when I suggested you go to a USPSA or IDPA match, I did not mean you had to shoot it. That is just a good place to find people that are shooters. A good place to get advice. (Not always good advice and lots of opinions)

Well said Scott, Every range day should be some sort of practice.

Hodawg
05-18-2014, 06:18 PM
After the bambino get here and you're back on your feet, give me a call if you want to talk more about training. I think we spoke a few months ago.

Ken

Xbonz
05-18-2014, 07:56 PM
After the bambino get here and you're back on your feet, give me a call if you want to talk more about training. I think we spoke a few months ago.

Ken

The bambino arrived a few weeks ago..nanner

AutoMag
05-18-2014, 09:27 PM
I have also had some of the best training that Uncle Sam's money can buy but if you cannot apply what you learned in a real life situation then did you really learn anything!!!

I hope that makes sense!!

Deleted
05-18-2014, 10:09 PM
I have also had some of the best training that Uncle Sam's money can buy but if you cannot apply what you learned in a real life situation then did you really learn anything!!!

I hope that makes sense!!

Makes perfect sense.....But having the knowledge is a great thing to have.

AutoMag
05-19-2014, 08:21 AM
Makes perfect sense.....But having the knowledge is a great thing to have.

Exactly!!:)

The firearm training is excellent to have but you also need the mindset to put it to use when in a situation that requires it.:)