PDA

View Full Version : Detonics Combat Master

GD2A
02-18-2014, 08:32 PM
Chalk it up to the fact that I grew up in the 80's watching every episode of Miami Vice but I think I want to try and find one of these. What should I look/watch out for and are they good shooters? I expect to pay between $700-$1000 ... does that sound about right?

Riverpigusmc
02-18-2014, 08:43 PM
I have no idea...but you do realize adding a couple hundred will get you a DW or a Baer....

milkmanjoe
02-18-2014, 08:47 PM
Who had one on Miami Vice?
Tubbs had a .38 and a sawed shottie
Crocket had a 10mm Bren Ten

Man I loved that show.

AutoMag
02-18-2014, 08:51 PM
Sonny also carried the Combat Master in some episodes.

BlackKnight
02-18-2014, 09:04 PM
I have no idea...but you do realize adding a couple hundred will get you a DW or a Baer....

I actually think they're going from about $900.00 to $1,200.00 now and I agree.
If I were to choose now I would go this route. Fortunately, I happened to pick up a Combat Master about 20 years ago and only paid 6 for it. I thought it was a lot back then.

Riverpigusmc
02-18-2014, 09:11 PM
I actually think they're going from about $900.00 to $1,200.00 now and I agree.
If I were to choose now I would go this route. Fortunately, I happened to pick up a Combat Master about 20 years ago and only paid 6 for it. I thought it was a lot back then.

Tony, somehow I can see you all studly with one of those Galco shoulder rigs and a Detonics in it :grin

Xbonz
02-18-2014, 09:13 PM

Where? When? How?

Xbonz
02-18-2014, 09:20 PM
There was a thread about this on the other forum. You posted in it.. Here's a quot from one of their members and a link:

If you want any info about Detonics Pistols phone up Champion Arms in Renton WA and ask for Peter.
He was one of the original Gunsmiths at Detonics and one of THE BEST Gunsmiths in Washington State.
If it was broke he would fix it no matter what make or model.
Also if someone wanted buy a Detonics from GB if you gave him the serial number he would tell you either Yes or No to buy it.

FYI IMHOTEP is the man to go on GB to buy Detonics.

http://www.championarms.com/champion_arms_005.htm

Peter is in the right top photo under STORE.

Sheepdog
02-18-2014, 09:20 PM
I had one and traded it off. Great gun just traded it for the "next had to have". The are smaller and thinner than a 1911, no grip safety, may need to replace springs. They do have some proprietary parts. Very dependable "small" 45. Great carry gun. Depends on what you find as to price and condition. You are in the price range. I paid $500 for mine. I would say $1000 the top and would need to be special. Do some research they were made at different places and at different times. Reintroduced in 2006. I don't know enough to give all the details. They have a cult following. There is allot of info out there.

I have a STI Ranger (not Ranger ll) That is built on a Combat Master sized frame with a grip safety.

BlackKnight
02-18-2014, 09:32 PM
Tony, somehow I can see you all studly with one of those Galco shoulder rigs and a Detonics in it :grin
Lol. Studly? Ah, no. As far as shoulder holster, yeap had one, but after one incident I found they were not conducive to narcotics work. Funny story now, but an oh crap situation then that, fortunately, worked out for the better.

GD2A
02-18-2014, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not surprised I commented on a thread involving one and forgot. It's just that right now I really have the 1911 bug! For my next gun I'd like a Colt or a Detonics. I'm not ready to step up and pay big bucks just yet.