PDA

View Full Version : New "smart gun" hits the shelves

milkmanjoe
02-20-2014, 03:35 PM
I have seen it all, or so I thought. These come from Germany, so I figure the Small Arms Treaty should squash this crap. Well, like the SAT is gonna be enacted.:rolleyes:
I think this manufacturer's logic for betting on American's wanting more shooting safety is akin to peeing up a rope.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/02/20/first-smart-pistol-shelves-in-california/

But then again, they did release them in Cali.

Snipersnest
02-20-2014, 05:39 PM
Wouldn't want to bet my life on that one. Too much can go wrong, dead batteries, etc. just when you really need it.

rockinit
02-20-2014, 05:52 PM
Wow, it's spending. I couldn't see myself buying one. Will the wristwatch look like a normal watch or will it be an announcement that the person is carrying and what they are carrying?

Riverpigusmc
02-20-2014, 05:54 PM
Some Dillweed in Congress just entered legislation requiring this for all our handguns. Wanna guess which party he belongs to?

Carl in GA
02-20-2014, 06:57 PM
I really hope this company goes bankrupt. And quickly.

Caleb
02-20-2014, 07:59 PM
DAGNABIT, Ellison!!!!!

skosh69
02-20-2014, 09:07 PM
Oh hell no....:facepalm2:

BlackKnight
02-20-2014, 09:23 PM
New Jersey already has legislation in place stating that once smart gun technology is available all guns sold in the state must have the technology.

milkmanjoe
02-21-2014, 08:43 AM
This is so bizarre to me. Will LE have to utilize it? What if it fails when life and limb are on the line. Hell, there are enough problems with guns failing on their own, no need to introduce a new weak link.
I don't see people buying it unless forced to. Trick is to not elect the people who would force this through gubmint.

KeystoneWeaponBK
02-21-2014, 09:07 AM
Wow, that's really not very good… as mentioned before, so many failure points…

On a "Related" note I saw Hornady is making a quick access safe that uses RFID tech and a bracelet or a key fob to open (With a numeric backup), I think that's a smarter way to go… although I saw it at SHOT and it was still a little sluggish for me, heck the biometric safes aren't as reliable as my old school mechanical safe.

milkmanjoe
02-21-2014, 09:18 AM
Wow, that's really not very good… as mentioned before, so many failure points…

On a "Related" note I saw Hornady is making a quick access safe that uses RFID tech and a bracelet or a key fob to open (With a numeric backup), I think that's a smarter way to go… although I saw it at SHOT and it was still a little sluggish for me, heck the biometric safes aren't as reliable as my old school mechanical safe.

I have one touchpad safe since 2006, all I have done is change batteries. Guess I am lucky cause I am in and out of it a dozen times a day. I bought is when our kids were small, I could hit the numbers in the dark, retrieve a firearm if needed. Now I can sleep through nite problems, kids got my back.;)

BlackKnight
02-21-2014, 10:11 AM
I have one touchpad safe since 2006, all I have done is change batteries. Guess I am lucky cause I am in and out of it a dozen times a day. I bought is when our kids were small, I could hit the numbers in the dark, retrieve a firearm if needed. Now I can sleep through nite problems, kids got my back.;)

Same here. I got it when my kids were small. I still use it when I leave the house and want to leave one of my guns home (I carry two when on duty).
I once woke up in the middle of the night to gunshots in front of my house. Before I was fully awake I had a gun in hand ready to take on whatever it was. Fortunately, it was an officer putting an animal down.

KeystoneWeaponBK
02-21-2014, 12:26 PM

Yeah for sure, I'd rather have a firearm that I KNOW will work in a safe then a firearm on my dresser that might not!

KeystoneWeaponBK
02-21-2014, 12:33 PM
Along those same lines, I often thought, hmm... if I kept a small revolver in the bottom of a box of Lucky Charms Cereal on the top shelf of my pantry and were ever held hostage in my own home, that would be an interesting way to get the upper-hand... just train my child to start crying for food and have the perp get me the "Special" lucky charms on the top shelf to calm her down (like a big crazy mind game) and then ruin his day with a "Magically Delicious" surprise in the bottom of the box :)

But I think that this whole "Smart pistol" is overdoing it... anyone who wants a firearm will ALWAYS be able to circumvent safeties and stuff... they can hack your ATM card and half the time my own ATM card won't work... I just cannot trust my life to something that doesn't allow me to use my final safety (The one between my ears!)

Snipersnest
02-21-2014, 01:30 PM
Some Dillweed in Congress just entered legislation requiring this for all our handguns. Wanna guess which party he belongs to?

Yeah he's a Democrat from Massachusetts, Ed Markey. He's as clueless as the rest of the Taxachusetts Democrats. He, Live Shot Kerry and Granny Warren (The Fake Indian) all know what's best for us and they're only trying to protect us from ourselves.

Xbonz
02-21-2014, 02:51 PM
The good thing about RFID is that it is foolproof and there's no way to override or pirate the signal.

:rolleyes:

BadOscar
02-21-2014, 11:05 PM
Yup just Google search 'Make your own universal RFID key'

milkmanjoe
02-22-2014, 07:58 AM
The good thing about RFID is that it is foolproof and there's no way to override or pirate the signal.

:rolleyes:

Yup just Google search 'Make your own universal RFID key'

Yah, when I was building cell towers we had some fun with this stuff.
Should never put "fool" and "proof" in the same word.:rolleyes:

Xbonz
02-22-2014, 09:14 AM

Unless you are being sarcastic.. :D

KeystoneWeaponBK
02-22-2014, 12:03 PM
So here is a stupid yet simple problem with this for me... I don't sleep with a watch on. So I have to go retrieve my watch from the bathroom first, that's convenient. Oh well, I also don't sleep with my glasses on so I'll be shooting half-blind anyway I guess, might as well turn it into a complete circus....

Pawpaw
02-22-2014, 12:20 PM
http://i61.tinypic.com/ioptfb.png

milkmanjoe
02-22-2014, 12:38 PM

Unless you are being sarcastic.. :D

Or talking about my brother.....you would have to meet him...a genius who cannot think his way outta the saloon.