PDA

View Full Version : Why we need training.

skosh69
03-01-2014, 12:52 PM
Saw this posted on another forum and thought I'd share. It's a well written piece from a former Marine who was wounded in combat. Really get's you thinking about "what you think you know and what you actually know".

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?38540-Lessons-Learned-In-Combat

Hodawg
05-18-2014, 04:21 PM
Good find, skosh69. Even the stuff we actually do know very well needs to be practiced with great regularity or else you will physically start to lose what you mentally know. Learning a skill, even mastering one, at the range will eventually deteriorate if not continuously practiced. Even the greatest cellist in the world, Yo Yo Ma, starts his day out practicing scales.

Cheers y'all,
Ken

GD2A
05-18-2014, 04:26 PM
I invest in training. Not as much as I'd like to but a class or two a year. This year I'm actually on track for three. It doesn't make me feel "ready for anything" but it dos give me a base skill set and knowledge that I wouldn't have otherwise.

Hodawg
05-18-2014, 04:37 PM
I invest in training. Not as much as I'd like to but a class or two a year. This year I'm actually on track for three. It doesn't make me feel "ready for anything" but it dos give me a base skill set and knowledge that I wouldn't have otherwise.
That's a good mindset to have, GD2A. My first Training Officer told me that as soon as I thought that I was "ready for anything", that I was probably ready for nothing.

Cheers bud,
Ken

edgehill
05-18-2014, 04:50 PM
I'm the same as GD2A. I like to invest n training. He and I share at least one trainer in common and I think a second by the end of November. I also want to take one of Will's classes for coup,Ed for my wife and I. GD2A has recommended Will to me as well.

I don't think the classes make me a operator, just shows me how much I need to learn. In the past year, I've taken a class in hand to hand skills based on WWII training, a Krav Maga class, a handgun shooting class focused on defensive pistol fighting, as well as a few skill days. Some were taken with my wife, some weren't.

The more you train, the better equipped you are going to be.

Hodawg
05-18-2014, 05:08 PM
I'm the same as GD2A. I like to invest n training. He and I share at least one trainer in common and I think a second by the end of November. I also want to take one of Will's classes for coup,Ed for my wife and I. GD2A has recommended Will to me as well.

I don't think the classes make me a operator, just shows me how much I need to learn. In the past year, I've taken a class in hand to hand skills based on WWII training, a Krav Maga class, a handgun shooting class focused on defensive pistol fighting, as well as a few skill days. Some were taken with my wife, some weren't.

The more you train, the better equipped you are going to be.

Edgehill, you will not be disappointed with any class taught by Will Farrugia. He is an Instructor Par Excellence in my book. You'll learn a lot with virtually zero time spent telling old war stories.

Cheers Bubba,
Ken

milkmanjoe
05-18-2014, 05:50 PM
Edgehill, you will not be disappointed with any class taught by Will Farrugia. He is an Instructor Par Excellence in my book. You'll learn a lot with virtually zero time spent telling old war stories.

Cheers Bubba,
Ken

Agreed, Ken.....I have spent time with Will and have walked away for the better every time. Will has a keen sense of people and how to get what he wants you to know into your brain. Says it once, shows it once, very clear, easy to understand. And has good humor.

Welcome, Ken.....Happy to see you here...