PDA

View Full Version : change of poi as gun warms up?

svandamme
10-23-2011, 08:53 AM
I'm relatively new at this, have about 350 rounds down with my PM7.
It shoots low, have adjusted the sights up.. But i get the idea that the point of impact changes as the gun warms up?
At 10 meters, If i aim for dead center when cold , i'm below the black.
But after 30-35 rounds, i'm right on the money where i aim.

Had this several times now.. but not sure if i am doing this myself, or does the POI considerably change as the gun warms up? :confused:

zenfly
10-23-2011, 09:52 AM
If you're new it may be a good idea to have someone else who you know in a good shooter run it for you off a bench and bags.. Also I have a diopter that goes on my glasses that help you get the target and the sights more in focus at the same time.. I bought it back when i used to shoot a 85lb steel rams at 200yds. in IHMSA.. A very handy item..

Edit: I just searched for a clip on diopter and can't find one... Get a pair of old glasses and use a piece of tape with a 1/16" hole punched in it and tape on the lens over your dominant eye and peek through the hole.. you'll see real cheep how it works with the pistol sights..

svandamme
10-23-2011, 09:57 AM
I know i'm crap with the 45 offhanded, but 2 handed i've managed some reasonable groups. And it's all in the center, it's just that If i point center when it's cold, i get a low group, reasonable group, but low and it seems to creep up when it warms up.

Guess it's just me then?

douglas_knott
10-23-2011, 01:58 PM
i personally haven't heard of a gun doing what your explaining. are you free handing the shots or using a bag? try using a bag starting out and see how it shoots.

Dave Waits
10-23-2011, 08:35 PM
Sounds like you're pulling down on the trigger. Try shooting from a rest cold.

Riverpigusmc
10-23-2011, 08:56 PM
I agree with Doug and Dave..shoot from a rest and then you can determine if it's you or the gun..only time I've heard of that is from a full auto weapon when the barrel was HOT..doubt thats your trouble

svandamme
10-24-2011, 05:20 AM
wildo, thanks for the feedback

douglas_knott
10-24-2011, 07:02 PM
wildo, thanks for the feedback

let us know the outcome please

svandamme
10-30-2011, 08:02 AM
never mind the .22 holes, i just re-used somebody's card

first set of 10 rounds right handed @ 10 meters

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads19/right+handed1319975866.jpg

second set of 10 rounds right handed @ 10 meters

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads19/right+handed+21319975910.jpg

10 rounds, 2 handed @ 25 meters (bad pic but you get the idea)

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads19/25+meter+right+handed1319975937.jpg

2 x 10 rounds @ 10 meters green is right handed, purple is lefthanded

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads19/left+and+right+handed1319975992.jpg

I first ran 50 rounds with a Ruger .22 as warm up...Which improved my .45 results considerably, all in all, i guess this answers my question : It was me, not the gun.
Quite happy with this result, especially since i'm a bit hungover this morning :D

jcc7x7
11-06-2011, 08:56 PM
You might try a different lube on your pistol that may be more heat resistant and not cause binding. If the pistol is changing POI when hot something is binding. Hope this helps

Pappy
11-23-2011, 10:34 AM
This is not good news if the barrel has not been stress relieved. You may have a warped barrel which changes POI when warmed up. Sorry to say this...

svandamme
11-23-2011, 10:36 AM
snip
2 x 10 rounds @ 10 meters green is right handed, purple is lefthanded

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads19/left+and+right+handed1319975992.jpg

I first ran 50 rounds with a Ruger .22 as warm up...Which improved my .45 results considerably, all in all, i guess this answers my question : It was me, not the gun.
Quite happy with this result, especially since i'm a bit hungover this morning :D

This is not good news if the barrel has not been stress relieved. You may have a warped barrel which changes POI when warmed up. Sorry to say this...

I already indicated that the issue was fixed by training the operator.

Pappy
11-23-2011, 10:44 AM
I already indicated that the issue was fixed by training the operator.

Did not notice this...but will wait till the hangover is gone....

Hodawg
05-17-2014, 02:14 PM
Glad to hear you figured out the problem, svandamme.

Just for shirts and gurgles, in case this problem ever comes up again with another shooter, svandamme's situation sounds like a classic case of anticipating recoil. That causes most shooters to dive forward, hence a low shot. After a few magazines full, the shooter gets more relaxed and no longer anticipates recoil, then the shots come up to the POA.

Just a thought based on his description of events.

Ken

DaFadda
05-17-2014, 04:18 PM
My take is that when the gun.......and you......are cold.....poi will be diferent. Once you warm up.....not the gun....that is the diff in poi. Try having a friend warm up the gun for u....then shoot it urself..... Post the results for us?

Hodawg
05-17-2014, 04:49 PM
My take is that when the gun.......and you......are cold.....poi will be diferent. Once you warm up.....not the gun....that is the diff in poi. Try having a friend warm up the gun for u....then shoot it urself..... Post the results for us?
A good suggestion for ruling out metallurgical factors.

Dave Waits
05-17-2014, 05:43 PM
The only time you'll see a cold-bore change of impact is in a long-barreled gun like a rifle and normally, it's usually the first round out of the tube.

DrHenley
05-17-2014, 11:30 PM

I think your grip loosens a bit when you get a little tired from gripping too tight and anticipting the recoil, allowing the muzzle to flip more. Warming up with another gun gets you past the too-tight grip phase.

I've noticed the same phenomenon, using a 22 first improves my groups considerably.