PDA

View Full Version : "I'm not a Commando..."

Hodawg
05-20-2014, 09:20 AM
A very good post on DefensiveCarry.com about self defense and the need for training.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/carry-defensive-scenarios/191015-youtube-has-taught-me-i-am-not-commando.html

Cheers y'all,
Ken

Shark1007
05-20-2014, 09:52 AM
Thanks, Ken

Nice reminder. Things sure change in the real world and many need to recognize a need to train and make it instinctive.

One of my favorite sayings I paraphrase " In a real emergency you will not rise to the occasion, but default to your level of training."

A home invader doesn't have an x ring marked and doesn't stand still.

Caleb
05-20-2014, 05:28 PM
A very good post on DefensiveCarry.com about self defense and the need for training.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/carry-defensive-scenarios/191015-youtube-has-taught-me-i-am-not-commando.html

Cheers y'all,
Ken

Here you go....

"Youtube has taught me that I am not a commando

It's very seldom that we read through a particular scenario thread without seeing the occasional "commando" post from someone who's pretty sure they'll win in any situation. A lot of us, having not been through combat abroad or suffered a traumatic event at the hands of a criminal, are not trained to think about the possibility of defeat. I'm scared to lose, therefore I view every hypothetical scenario I encounter through the lens of victory. However, I do this to my own detriment not knowing that when I focus on what really happens in a gun fight, it is actually the first step to improve my chances of survival.

For those "commandos" out there who have no experience with reality, I encourage you to do what I did. Go to youtube and watch videos. No, not opinion pieces or sterile training exercises. Watch closed circuit surveillance videos of store robberies. Look up cwp holders using their weapons during a stick up. Heck, look up law enforcement videos of LEO's in high intensity situations. I did, and I feel I'm better for it. I no longer think with the wool over my eyes. I'm ready to train, train, train for the worst case scenario. I now realize that I am not a commando.

Here's what youtube taught me:

1. Even with the best situational awareness employed, I will never be able to pick the time and place the bad guy will strike. I will never have that advantage.
2. In a high intensity situation involving a bad guy with a gun, it's very likely I will get shot.
3. Adrenaline will be a finniky mistress who will work for me and against me. I must train daily, turning every technique into muscle memory so that I can at least work with her during a gun fight.
4. Sometimes technique goes out the window, and we must quickly learn to be OK with that and roll with it.
5. The average SD situation lasts between 30 to 60 seconds. Once again, train, train, train, because I will be making some of the most important decisions of my life in that moment.
6. All handgun calibers suck when hitting someone jacked up on adrenaline. It's not guaranteed that the bad guy will disintegrate into tiny pieces with 2 shots from a .45 acp. Mindset is the key. Shoot the lung and heart box until your life isn't threatened anymore.
7. The bad guy won't always be afraid of my gun. Guns aren't for scaring, I must be prepared to destroy the person that is threatening my life. If not, I could lose my own life or that of my family.
8. Did I mention that I must train? I must ingrain basic situational awareness,drawing, and shooting skills.

If I missed something, let me know. If I got something wrong, call it out. I am not a commando and am therefore teachable and ready to learn!"

Riverpigusmc
05-21-2014, 09:44 PM
I've been shot, and have shot people. Life does not follow fantasy