PDA

View Full Version : Had a fun day at A Tactical Drill on Sunday

zukinut
05-27-2014, 09:35 PM
Me and the decided to use up a couple of Gift Certificated to the range on Sunday.

Fun time at the range yesterday, but the wife wasn't to comfortable there. Well it was 94 in the shade and there were way to many guys playing operators with full tact gear.

I thought it was kind of funny actually. You could tell the guys who knew how to run their equipment and the one's that were want to be operators lol. Web gear that didn't fit right all the way to the guys that had so much sh** on it looked like they opened the tacticool catalog and just started ordering everything.

We were there in shorts, t shirts, and just belt gear. But she had a great time running two of the courses of fire, but by the time we got to the last one she was tuckered out from the heat.

Me I had a blast. I was complemented by all three instructor on the courses. We were grouped with a few of the tacticool guys and after the first run they stopped giving me looks like why are you here. lol Because I out shot them wearing just normal clothes a few mag holders, and shotshell pouch I made out of a surplus AK mag pouch.

Ended up bringing out the shottie for sh**s and giggles. Now that was fun shooting steel with it then transitioning to pistol for cardboard targets.

They had one course that was a carbine/pistol run. Well me with my touch of death when it comes to a carbine I don't have one. I asked Will (the owner of the school and the guy running it) if I could run my shottie with slugs on the course. Hey said sure got enough slugs and I just smiled and he laughed. So I ended running the course last.

It was setup that you shot three targets each twice while moving backwards, do a mag change, and then shoot the targets again from cover kneeling. Then reholster and run to the next set of barrels, shoot two targets 4 times from cover on either side. Then reholster and run to your carbine or in my case my shottie.

Of course they do this to get your heart rate up. He just looked at me and said yesDave you have to run funny. Holy sh** its hard to load a shotgun when your heart is pounding and your breathing like a race horse. I ended up dropping a couple rounds trying to load so I didn't have a full mag to start off.

Now after I was loaded I had to shoot from a 9 hole and put 2 rounds in 3 targets on each side for a total of 12. Yea the math isn't with me when I only hold 8 rounds, minus what I dropped reloading twice. So I ended up having to reload one threw the ejection port for the last two targets. If you've never done it its not so bad. But before you try it again run around your house a couple times then try it :-)))

When it was all said and done I was talking to Will and he noticed that I was shooting to the right on some targets, dead on on some, and right and low on a couple. We were sitting their talking and he asked you running a mix of ammo I said yup 3 different brands. He said that was your problem slugs out a smooth bore all have different characteristics. He now you just need to figure out which ammo you were shooting when you were hitting dead nuts on all the targets out to 25 and start buying that brand. I didn't even think about that myself so that was pretty cool.

The wifey took video of the first run with the pistol, then there were issues with the second run with the shot gun. Then she was so tuckered out from the heat she didn't even video my last run which I really wanted to see.

Oh and yes I ran the 1911 on the last run of course as well. I will say she shoot like a dream even with a chipped extractor that I haven't been able to change out yet.

I was talking to a buddy of mine yesterday and woke up with his last thoughts that have been the most profound I have ever heard. It has changed my thought process from today on. So please excuse my blatant waist of ammo.

This is his reply to my fun time.

"Now that is training in shooting, oh and make sure every shot counts because you can't run back to the pickup for more ammo. If you need more ammo just take it off the dead guy next to you he won't need it. Don't take it off the enemy because that body may be booby trapped."

But here's my pistol shoot and then my shotgun shoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZUYW4gyyZQ

zukinut
05-27-2014, 09:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UiULijPdYM

milkmanjoe
05-27-2014, 10:11 PM
Cool Videos, Zuk......Training with Will, always an eye opener. The man knows how to get in your thoughts and feed info. Great choice in instructors!

Caleb
05-28-2014, 07:50 AM
You're not cool unless you run a tact vest, thought you knew.

On my "to do" list, nice vid bro.

Shark1007
05-28-2014, 08:57 AM
Nicely done and very smooth. Looks like you were Cain walking the rice paper in Kung Fu.

milkmanjoe
05-28-2014, 11:15 AM
Nicely done and very smooth. Looks like you were Cain walking the rice paper in Kung Fu.

Damn, I have waited decades for someone to say that about me. I lost fifty pounds, went to Wallington, New Jersey, to learn to walk on leaves from the Shueehank Indians.....and all I get tagged with is clod.

GD2A
05-28-2014, 12:03 PM
Good stuff, Dave!

BlackKnight
05-28-2014, 12:15 PM
Cool vids, Zukinut.

Damn, I have waited decades for someone to say that about me. I lost fifty pounds, went to Wallington, New Jersey, to learn to walk on leaves from the Shueehank Indians.....and all I get tagged with is clod.

You still come up this way? If so, let me know next time you're up this way. We'll do some shooting and I'll buy you a mug of your favorite refreshment.

milkmanjoe
05-28-2014, 02:50 PM
Cool vids, Zukinut.

You still come up this way? If so, let me know next time you're up this way. We'll do some shooting and I'll buy you a mug of your favorite refreshment.

Had it in my plans to PM you when I am up. Class reunion coming up this Fall. If it happens we will have some fun.

BlackKnight
05-28-2014, 04:07 PM
Had it in my plans to PM you when I am up. Class reunion coming up this Fall. If it happens we will have some fun.
Cool beans.

Now back to your regular scheduled programming. :D