PDA

View Full Version : Bergdahl

DrHenley
06-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Here is what Taliban commanders had to say about Bergdahl:

“Think he had deserted his army with a mission and wanted to accept Islam, but our people didn’t trust him. That shattered his belief,” he said.

"Conditions for Bergdahl have greatly relaxed since the time of the escape. Bergdahl has converted to Islam and now describes himself as a mujahid. Bergdahl enjoys a modicum of freedom, and engages in target practice with the local mujahedeen, firing AK47s. Bergdahl is even allowed to carry a loaded gun on occasion. Bergdahl plays soccer with his guards and bounds around the pitch like a mad man. He appears to be well and happy, and has a noticeable habit of laughing frequently and saying 'Salaam' repeatedly."

“You know we are also human beings and have hearts in our bodies,” a senior Taliban commander affiliated with the Haqqani network, which was holding Bergdahl captive, tells TIME. “We are fighting a war against each other, in which [the Americans] kill us and we kill them. But we did whatever we could to make [Bergdahl] happy.”

“We wanted him to return home with good memories.”

“Our talks finally proved successful for the prisoners’ swap,” says the commander. “We returned our valued guest to his people and in return, they freed our five heroes held in Guantanamo Bay since 2002.”

“This is a historic moment for us. Today our enemy for the first time officially recognized our status.”

“It’s better to kidnap one person like Bergdahl than kidnapping hundreds of useless people. It has encouraged our people. Now everybody will work hard to capture such an important bird.”

Deleted
06-06-2014, 04:52 PM
I say hang his sorry ass along with his parents.

douglas_knott
06-06-2014, 05:46 PM
I say hang his sorry ass along with his parents.

Me too

DrHenley
06-06-2014, 06:04 PM
Last I heard, he has not had any contact with his parents, and has not even asked to speak with his parents.

jmlutz
06-06-2014, 06:07 PM
Me too

Yeah, but it will never happen. The Obama administration will tell every lie they can think of......

DrHenley
06-06-2014, 06:16 PM
Since they cancelled the homecoming celebration in his home town, I wonder what Obama will do to try to make him look like a hero.

Tickertape parade maybe?

Shark1007
06-07-2014, 06:59 AM
Sounds like too much smoke for there not to be a fire.

The Army system will investigate and try him, too much pressure not to.

I heard a quote by a Navy Admiral who said if you went overboard, they would turn the ship around and go back for you, and that applied if you fell, were pushed or jumped.

This will be a strange one to watch, we have the concept that we never leave a man behind versus dealing with taliban versus the UCMJ.

God help this guy if he is not a deserter as Francis Luttrel commented recently, he is convicted by the press for sure.

TLE2
06-07-2014, 07:36 PM
From what I saw he was condemned by a cadre of men from his own unit. They said he AWOL.

Shark1007
06-08-2014, 11:06 AM
That is the point, the R news stations ran interviews with certain folks and the D stations ran interviews with others that said they did not know what happened but trusted the military to investigate. Sort of like picking and choosing what to run as news.

Back when I took Lt Calley to Leavenworth from Fort Benning (you old timers remember?) the news was a different animal, not a venue for political expression. I miss the old days. I choose to wait to make judgement on this guy till the system works on the investigation according to law.

He looked like a beaten dog in the video.