PDA

View Full Version : Note to self

Shark1007
07-06-2014, 06:02 PM
Note to self:

If anybody offers to give you a DoubleTap .45ACP ported as a gift and you have to shoot the little bastard, thank them and decline the gift!

YIKES is my hand sore. Feels like someone hit web of hand with a ball peen hammer, even with gloves. Young range officer, maybe 21 came by to see what was making all the muzzle flash and I told my friend, he's a man, he'll shoot it.

The kid took the bait, heck yes, I'll try. He was still rubbing his hand as we left.

Riverpigusmc
07-06-2014, 06:08 PM
I've looked at those. My side by side double barreled derringer in .45LC/.410 was a handful, that looks the same

GD2A
07-06-2014, 06:17 PM
I've honestly never seen the point of guns like that. I mean the 'cool' factor is definitely there but for the relative size and weight I feel better severed by a five shot snubby Smith.

skosh69
07-06-2014, 07:12 PM
If I want a gun that hurts my hand when I shoot it, I'll get a S&W 500, nothing else.

Shark1007
07-06-2014, 07:48 PM
I'm with ya. The friend that gave it to me came by and invited me to range. I wasn't going to shoot it otherwise.

When he left, we didn't shake hands, just waved at each other.

sdmc530
07-06-2014, 08:22 PM
If I want a gun that hurts my hand when I shoot it, I'll get a S&W 500, nothing else.

This^...

MY FIL and I have looked into getting a 500 I bet 10 times and always talk our selves out of it.....

Shark1007
07-06-2014, 08:34 PM
I will tell you this little thing kicked more than a .44 mag and more than a 480 Ruger.

skosh69
07-07-2014, 01:18 AM
I'm with ya. The friend that gave it to me came by and invited me to range. I wasn't going to shoot it otherwise.

When he left, we didn't shake hands, just waved at each other.

That's too funny.

DaFadda
07-07-2014, 05:52 AM
Shark.... I read a couple reviews on this Doubletap. The reviewers were consistent... you do NOT want to fire this gun regularly, for the very reasons you've described. So... I have a couple questions:

1. How many rounds did you fire before you started getting pain in your hand? If it's after two rounds... I'm with ya, but if you fired twenty, then it might not be "that bad."....

2. How would you rate the gun for it's intended purpose, which I THINK would be as a "get off me" absolute last resort back up.

3. What would be your alternative? I've got several in mind for myself, including my 6 shot 380 Mustang, a Ruger LCR or LC9 (about the same size).... But if someone absolutely wants a 45 backup in this size frame, I think they're limited to the two rounds. And the perp better be less than 4 feet away.

Thanks for the post. It made me want to go find a PICTURE!!!!!! (LOL)

Shark1007
07-07-2014, 06:55 AM
I fired two rounds only. My 40 year old weight lifting friend fired 4 and the range guy fired two.

At 21 feet, each of us missed the target at least once. I aimed at the head, one went over and one went in A zone. My friend had two hits of four, way bottom left and the range guy had one miss and one hit a foot over at three o'clock.

I think this thing is a contact range to 4 foot only pocket pistol. If you miss them, there's a good chance you will set them on fire with muzzle blast.

I have a couple CM9 Kahr's, a Shield, two LCR's and a KelTec .380 and even a Taurus .380 which shoots pretty well. My preference is the CM9 Kahr with 127+p+ ranger or 147 HST.

If you point this one at somebody, it looks menacing for sure. I will attach a stock photo. And we fired Ruag match ball ammo.

Shark1007
07-07-2014, 07:06 AM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNsVr9d5AKl4XnmINWlopWzuBYWYtol XlNyIdjsf_HJrxY793qTw

DrHenley
07-07-2014, 08:10 AM
185 grain Semi-Wadcutter with about 4 grains of Trail Boss should tame it.

Should still be more lethal than a 38 Special with cast loads.

dw1911
07-07-2014, 10:42 AM
I've looked at those. My side by side double barreled derringer in .45LC/.410 was a handful, that looks the same

I have seen those little all metal blocky shaped things, LOOKS Like Pain in the hand to me. I don't want one! Rather use a My Trusty Little Springfield XD-S 45 for concealed carry, it does NOT hurt the hand.
Those Double Tap guns LOOK Cool. But also look and feel like it would HURT to shoot it! Especially with +P Loads! OUCH! :eek:

Shark1007
07-07-2014, 10:47 AM
Agree, I love the XDS and the Kahr PM 45 is nothing to sneeze at.

I ain't trying to tame this one. It's going in the safe and the next one to shoot it will be whoever gets it from my estate.

zukinut
07-07-2014, 09:04 PM
The little over under pockets guns do have a purpose. My father has a 22Mag derringer and remember it well when it scared off the guy trying to steal the rent money we had just got from the duplex in down town WPB. He shouldn't have brought a knife.

Just shot it last year fo rthe first time in years. Little bastard hurt. It was better with the holster for it. The range guy freaked out because it was still the kind that when you pulled the gun it looked like a wallet and your just put your finger threw the holster to fire :D

Shark1007
07-07-2014, 09:53 PM
I carried one in back pocket when I was the PoPo. I bet it was the high standard .22 mag with the wallet holster with a flap/hole in the middle. You never knew it wasn't a wallet till a ball of fire erupted.

zukinut
07-07-2014, 10:31 PM
I carried one in back pocket when I was the PoPo. I bet it was the high standard .22 mag with the wallet holster with a flap/hole in the middle. You never knew it wasn't a wallet till a ball of fire erupted.

Yup that was the one. Told my dad they're illegal now, but he's a bit stubborn funny

zukinut
07-07-2014, 10:34 PM
I prefer shooting my buddies 44 mag SA Colt single handed that little 22 mag funny