PDA

View Full Version : IDPA with an Ultra Compact

DrHenley
07-13-2014, 03:17 PM
The whole idea of IDPA is to compete with something you actually carry. For some reason I don't think many people actually carry what they shoot at IDPA matches...:rolleyes:

So in that light, I decided to run a match yesterday with what I ACTUALLY carry, a Sig Ultra.
http://www.cotep.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=98&pictureid=593

I wasn't sure how much of a handicap it would be. On the plate racks I do approximately as well with it as with my DW Panther.

Prior to the match, the only jams experienced were very rare FTF jams due to weak mag springs, not really the gun's fault. I did experience one severe jam with a Wilson during the match, which required removing the mag (which I dropped) and cost me a lot of time on that stage. Another stage I had a soft jam (FTF due to a weak mag spring) that was quickly cleared. And I had one brain fart that cost me a procedural.

Overall I did pretty well considering I am out of practice and was using an Ultra Compact. I had the best time on one stage in my division, and the second best time on two other stages.

What surprised me was my accuracy with the Ultra. i seemed to be able to get on target very quickly. Effortlessly even. I had thought that the light gun would not recover quickly enough to do fast double taps, but as it turned out, the low mass seemed to make it easier to get back on target. And of course the 3.3" barrel makes it a lot quicker to clear the holster, something I didn't really think about before.

I don't think the aluminum frame will hold up to continuous match use. I'm already noticing some places on the rails where the anodized finish has worn through. The slide is so tight that when it gets dirty is starts feeling gritty, even fully lubed. All that is well and good for carry (don't plan on having a 200 round shootout with it)

But that has me thinking that I could compete with a steel framed compact. Something along the lines of the RIA TAC II Compact.

Caleb
07-13-2014, 04:28 PM
You actually used what you carry? Wow...you must be the only one! funny. Well done, Sir. I think like you said, a RIA compact would be fine match after match. The compacts are actually pretty accurate little fire balls. But like you said, the lightweights wont last.

ColMike
07-13-2014, 08:16 PM
you'd think they'd have a class for that but what do I know . Just look at the SASS categories! :/

DrHenley
07-13-2014, 08:56 PM
you'd think they'd have a class for that

Actually IDPA has BUG (Backup Gun) matches for which the Ultra qualifies. I don't think EAGC has any BUG matches though. They also allow clubs to have a "Not for Competition" (anything goes) class for club level matches to allow people to run through the stages with whatever they carry.

Rick McC.
12-30-2014, 02:03 PM
Actually IDPA has BUG (Backup Gun) matches for which the Ultra qualifies. I don't think EAGC has any BUG matches though. They also allow clubs to have a "Not for Competition" (anything goes) class for club level matches to allow people to run through the stages with whatever they carry.

We had an IDPA BUG match this past summer.

Our club has weekly IDPA practices every Tuesday from 10:AM-12:PM (9:AM-11:AM after it starts to get hot).

Every month, the first Tuesday following the monthly match is a BUG practice.

When I first got my M&P9c; I shot it there every week.

Since they're practices, you can shoot whatever you want; even .22's.

As a 1911 shooter, I've always pretty much shot what I carry.

With the bad back and whatnot, this year I've carried a FS M&P9 more than anything else, until I got my 9c a few months ago.

I became a bit more interested in carrying a high cap pistol what with all the race baiting foolishness and mob stuff that's been going on this year.

aloreman
12-30-2014, 06:19 PM
the idea of idpa is to be a GAME fired with off the shelf production guns. It has as much to do with defense and concieled carry as stock car racing has to do with stock cars. I compete with and carry 1911s

Rick McC.
12-30-2014, 09:48 PM
the idea of idpa is to be a GAME fired with off the shelf production guns. It has as much to do with defense and concieled carry as stock car racing has to do with stock cars. I compete with and carry 1911s

Well, it beats the hell of of the IPSC game that I shot back in the '90's.

At least with IDPA, the shooters are taught to use cover, ammo management, a little bit about evaluating the various threat levels, and how to address them (tactical priority/tactical sequence), along with useable skills such as shooting on the move, shooting weak hand, strong hand, and from the kneeling, prone positions, on your back, and from within a car, oh yes; and "clearing" the shoot house.

My club has weekly training, and night training several times a year to familiarize shooters with using their weapons in conjunction with lights, etc.

It may not be high level training, but I doubt you'll find better available at $11.00 per match, or $3.00 for the weekly practices.

It's a LONG way from real training, but much better than shooting at beer cans with a bad attitude.

I shoot IDPA for practice, not to compete, and I've trained with Brownie.

There is no correlation between the two.