PDA

View Full Version : Hope this is in the right place

bttbbob
09-08-2014, 11:08 AM
If not mods, can you please move to the right place.

The difference between games and defensive training
http://www.funker530.com/sniper-dodges-bullet/

One quick video that explains the proper use of cover and concealment.
Never extend a gun barrel, through around or over cover/concealment. It exposes your position. This guy got lucky this time.

In IDPA, IPSC and 3- gun this is done often.
I am always asked why I don't shoot the games to teach the games. This is why, it ingrains bad habits for proper defensive use of a firearm.

Let the railing begin.

milkmanjoe
09-08-2014, 01:05 PM
I've said it before and I'll echo it. I'm not a fan of the weekend matches. For me learning from instructors that I have researched and that I trust, is paramount. I always leave classes with new skills, the reason(s) behind those skills, and practice drills to hone those skills. I only punch paper as a social event or to function check a firearm. When I practice it is always in a self defense thought process. However, I do admit that I am uniquely lucky, having my own land to shoot on affords me the freedom to practice what I learn.

Deleted
09-08-2014, 07:01 PM
I enjoy IDPA and shoot a lot of matches, But I take my training to IDPA matches.

Never jam myself close to cover, keep my distance as pieing the corner, stand back from windows and doors. A added bonus during a match it saves on taking more steps then needed.

I admit that these matches can bring on bad habits that will get you hurt or killed in the real world.

Sheepdog
09-08-2014, 10:18 PM
I agree that the games are games. The other thing is there are a lot of people who have never drawn from a holster. As you well know there is much more to it then most people think. The games are good practice for the draw, trigger control, time/pressure and gun control. I don't think the games replace good training. IMHO they are much better than standing still blowing holes in paper at 7 yards.

bttbbob
09-09-2014, 08:52 AM
Agreed Sheepdog, I was only pointing out the difference....

brownie
09-09-2014, 09:20 AM
I ran in the games for a time back in the late 90's, early 21st century. Plate shoots, a few local/regional IPSC/IDPA types etc.

Great for gun handling skills, bad on the tactics. I continued to attend plate shoots for years but dropped out of the games as I worked the streets and would not allow bad habits to be ingrained due to the games.